Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on the next pair of tires for my Hammerhead 100X. Have had 2.1" Stick-E Blue Grooves for 1,000 miles, and they're still not worn out, but I'm ready to try something else. The Blue Grooves have been some of the best tires in my 15 years of riding- awesome traction all around. The only thing I haven't liked is their rolling resistance- noticeable on the trail and downright boggy on pavement. I'm thinking of trying 2.1" Nevegals next, but can't decide between the full Stick-E and the DTC compounds. Maybe not much of a difference, but I'd be interested in hearing people's reviews of them. I want to keep as much of the traction that the BG's had, while decreasing rolling resistance as much as possible. I ride 25 mile XC rides in NorCal on red volcanic soils & big rocks.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
DTC takes major penalty on traction. Especially climbing over rocks, roots, ets. It rolls faster, though.

_MK

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The compared to the all Stick-E the DTC version will roll better and wear longer. Cornering traction should be about the same. Drive and braking traction might be reduced depending on conditions and state of wear.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Why change to a Nevegal...

...just stick with the BG and give the DTC a shot. You might only want to get one tire to try on the rear, that way you're only out one tire should you not like it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Miker J said:
...just stick with the BG and give the DTC a shot. You might only want to get one tire to try on the rear, that way you're only out one tire should you not like it.

Mike
I would agree here. Whether you get a BG or a Neve using a DTC rear with a Stick-E front will make a big difference in the roll will less change in traction.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tanx - kind of what I was thinking

MK_ said:
DTC takes major penalty on traction. Especially climbing over rocks, roots, ets. It rolls faster, though.

_MK
The soft Stick-E compound works wonders on the rocks & exposed roots where I ride. As far as wear- if Stick-E's last 1,000 miles I'm more than happy. I ran Mythos on my old Razorback and they'd wear down to 'slippery' in half the time. My theoretical approach is that I'll try to lose some rolling resistance with the less blocky/more ramped Nevegal tread and keep with the Stick-E's.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sablotny said:
The soft Stick-E compound works wonders on the rocks & exposed roots where I ride. As far as wear- if Stick-E's last 1,000 miles I'm more than happy. I ran Mythos on my old Razorback and they'd wear down to 'slippery' in half the time. My theoretical approach is that I'll try to lose some rolling resistance with the less blocky/more ramped Nevegal tread and keep with the Stick-E's.
I think the Nevegal is slower rolling than the Blue Groove. The stepped tread of the BG is a good combo of grip and roll.

The Neve has bigger gaps between the blocks and feels sort of "chunky" to me.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Yep... Look at pics of the two tires....

shiggy said:
I think the Nevegal is slower rolling than the Blue Groove. The stepped tread of the BG is a good combo of grip and roll.

The Nev has more nobbage. Better loose condition traction. Slower roller.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
The nev looks like a tighter pattern..

shiggy said:

then the BG to me. i thought rolling resistance was due to a tires combo of vertical and horizonal surfaces and durometer..

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
shiggy said:
I would agree here. Whether you get a BG or a Neve using a DTC rear with a Stick-E front will make a big difference in the roll will less change in traction.
I agree with Shiggy.
Nev rolls slower than Blue Groove but hooks up better on loose stuff, particularly in the rear.

I run stick-e Blue Groove front and DTC Nevegal rear most of the year. Nev is terrible in the snow due to the ramped knobs so I recently switched to a 2.35 Schwalbe Fat Albert in the rear with the BG up front. I don't like the FA at all on dry terrain. Too squirmy. But it penetrates through the snow better and doesn't pack up as much as the Nev.

To the original poster, I'm astounded that you've gotten 1000 miles out of a rear stick-e tire. My fronts last a long time but rear stick-e went 200 miles max. I went through 4-6 sets last summer/fall before the DTCs where released.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, 976 miles according to my computer...

But still surprising to me too. This is for the 2.1", and I might have rotated the tires front to rear in there some where.

I haven't rolled the Nevegals myself- I was going from the two MBA reviews which said that the Nevegals rolled faster than BG's.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Sablotny said:
But still surprising to me too. This is for the 2.1", and I might have rotated the tires front to rear in there some where.

I haven't rolled the Nevegals myself- I was going from the two MBA reviews which said that the Nevegals rolled faster than BG's.
All of my friends also ride the Nevs & BG and we all agree the Nev is slower rolling. I've seen that opinion stated repeatedly on MTBR as well and have never seen or heard of anyone outside of MBA comment on the opposite.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Sablotny said:
I'm trying to decide on the next pair of tires for my Hammerhead 100X. Have had 2.1" Stick-E Blue Grooves for 1,000 miles, and they're still not worn out, but I'm ready to try something else. The Blue Grooves have been some of the best tires in my 15 years of riding- awesome traction all around. The only thing I haven't liked is their rolling resistance- noticeable on the trail and downright boggy on pavement. I'm thinking of trying 2.1" Nevegals next, but can't decide between the full Stick-E and the DTC compounds. Maybe not much of a difference, but I'd be interested in hearing people's reviews of them. I want to keep as much of the traction that the BG's had, while decreasing rolling resistance as much as possible. I ride 25 mile XC rides in NorCal on red volcanic soils & big rocks.
I'm about to order my tires tonight. I run UST Nevegals now. The UST versions roll very well and corner very well also. For my new bike, I'm running tubes. I figured I would go for the DTC's considering people are sayin that the Stick-e's wear quick. I don't want to keep replacing tires. I never had traction problems with the UST's, so I figured I will not have problems with the DTCs. I ran the UST's at 40psi, so I wasn't running them low for traction. I can't imagine how much more traction the STick-e are. Some people think the DTCs roll better.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sablotny said:

Other than MBA being crazy, I think they might have said that because they were testing the Nevagal Lite 1.95 which has a much smaller tread than the larger sizes and might actually be capable of rolling faster than the smaller Blue Groove. :confused:

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
grawbass said:
Other than MBA being crazy, I think they might have said that because they were testing the Nevagal Lite 1.95 which has a much smaller tread than the larger sizes and might actually be capable of rolling faster than the smaller Blue Groove. :confused:
BINGO.

We have a winner.

There are no similarities, aside from name, between the Nev lite and the remainder of the Nev series.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Most of your steering traction comes from the front and most of your rolling resistance comes from the rear. So you might think about the Stick-E up front and the DTC in the rear.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Traction needs- Depends on what terrain & how you ride

Maybe splitting hairs again, but the Stick-E compound works for me because it grabs the rocks that are so typical on my trails better than harder compounds (spoken from experience from other tires I've tried - haven't sampled the DTC's). When I'm on mostly dirt trails, traction isn't much of an issue to me either- I can run Nanoraptors or Pythons and be pretty happy.

And MBA may be crazy indeed. I got all hyped to buy a Specialized Epic from the mag, did parking lot testing of it only, and then discovered I hated its ON/OFF suspension. Lost $600 getting rid of it and then built the ride I had dreamed of before- the Hammerhead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.