Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
erm ya, but both Trek and Dave announced the concentric pivot around the same time, so it hasnt been confirmed which party rightfully own the patent.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
crisillo said:
AFAIK, SplitPivot has the brake mount on the setastay to isolate braking forces from the suspension (a la horst link), the 7 has the mount on the chainstay
This has been discussed at length on the Iron Horse forum. Split Pivot is more than just a repositioning of the brake mount. Traditional pivot location designs can be optimized either for pedal acceleration force, or for braking force, or a compromise somewhere between. The Split Pivot allows a more optimum pivot location for both braking & acceleration forces on the same bike. So just because you see what appears to be a split pivot doesn't mean that the design work has been done to optimize the pivot location.

DW states that the Split Pivot doesn't give the anti-squat (reduced pedal-bob) benefit of a DW-Link suspension, but it is an improvement over traditional single-pivot designs. The manufacturing tollerances for the Split Pivot are not as tight as for the DW-Link (& probably most other link suspensions), which should make it available at a lower price-point.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DW states that the Split Pivot doesn't give the anti-squat (reduced pedal-bob) benefit of a DW-Link suspension, but it is an improvement over traditional single-pivot designs. The manufacturing tollerances for the Split Pivot are not as tight as for the DW-Link (& probably most other link suspensions), which should make it available at a lower price-point.
Yup, you get it all right, Ibis forum had a very long discussion about DW Link and in DW Link world 1mm difference will result in a big difference in DW Link performance. Single Pivot doesnt require such tight tollerances.

Anyway it makes me wonder if DW patent brake mounting position for Split Pivot

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never claimed this.. I just wanted to say that the Yeti Seven is NOT a split pivot bike by pointing the location of the brake mount....
I think it depends on the patent statement, cause if DW patent the location of the brake mount then its a SP but if he didn, it could mean Yeti chose to locate the brake mount on the chainstay so it would not infringe Dave's SP patent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts