Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a reach and I'm likely SOL, but.... I find I'm switching back & forth from SS to gears on my favorite bike much more than I thought I would (because it's my fave, I guess). Lock-on grips are the obvious answer for quick & easy removal of the shifter, but I love my ESI silicone grips, which are not so easy to R&R. So I began to wonder if any of the MTB friction shifters were ever manufactured w/ a split perch like some of the higher end disc brakes. I'm running a kluged 1x5, so the shifter needs to be friction-capable. Ideas? Figured I'd post here, assuming that if such a thing existed, it'd be vintage. Thx,
- Joe

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Shimano still makes thumbshifters with steel clamp bands that you bend to install (or remove if you're too lazy to slide it off the bar), including friction thumbshifters. That's the simple route. If you want fancy vintage looking, ebay... shimano or suntour powershifters with the ratchet actions are common enough still. I got a couple rear NOS Shimano powershifters myself for 1x whatever applications.

·
10,939 Posts
Shimano still makes thumbshifters with steel clamp bands that you bend to install (or remove if you're too lazy to slide it off the bar), including friction thumbshifters. That's the simple route. If you want fancy vintage looking, ebay... shimano or suntour powershifters with the ratchet actions are common enough still. I got a couple rear NOS Shimano powershifters myself for 1x whatever applications. The shimano ones do sell for less on ebay... i watched a set of suntour's go for a couple hundred US last month. Glad I kept mine. ;)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
DeeEight said:
i watched a set of suntour's go for a couple hundred US last month. Glad I kept mine. ;)
That must have been the ones that included an early, rare WTB adapter for drop bars. Seller didnt know what it was, but a couple bidders obviously figured it out. :)

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hadn't considered a nice flexy bad clamp - doh! Don't necessarily need vintage, so I'll try and find one of the current Shimano jobs. DeeEight, might you know what line (Tourney, Alivio?) I should be looking at? Thanks for the help, guys!
- Joe

G

·
Use a Hyperdormic Needle

Inject alcohol under the grip with a hypodermic needle and it will slide off with no real damage to the grip. A side benefit is that anybody who looks in your toolbox will think you're a junkie :p .

Regards,
bm

·
10,939 Posts
tourney and the city groups mostly... but you could also find stuff like older 200GS thumbies probably if you looked for 'em. They're reasonably light (around 75g) each, came in 6 and 7 speed SIS models with friction modes also, and have the correct clamps. I used an 200GS 7SIS one a couple months ago to build a christmas present bike for my friend sheryl. She shifts so rarely I could have just built a singlespeed but figured what the hell, make it a 1x7 with a 32T ring and an 11-28 cassette. Ended up 26 pounds-ish, a good 16 pounds lighter than her existing 80s vintage Raleigh Matterhorn.

Actually as it happens, the ONLY shimano thumbshifters which didn't use metal clamps of this type were the Deore XT and XT-II ones, with their aluminium clamps, and they were only marginally lighter than steel clamps of the Deore shifters (about 10g lighter each) which is fine for a weight weenie, but having encountered a few stripped thread aluminium perches, I much prefer the cheap and easy to fix steel clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.