Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i was riding my usual trail id ridden 100's of times before, its a slight rock garden, nothing extreme at all, rear tire was running 27psi, all of a sudden it exploded. At first i thought it was my brand new spank rim that had just collapsed but turned out it was the dhr II had split at one of the knobs. I'm Really pissed off after spending $100 to have a fairly newish exo+ dhr split like this, I was also surprised how much it had worn in the 2 months or so ive ridden on it. Its why i spent the extra on the "apparent" strength of exo+.

Is this normal or should i be contacting maxxis? most likely they wont do a thing but im really put off on there tires now considering how tame this rock garden actually was. I also thought Higher psi are meant to help this sort of thing but maybe 27psi is to much for my 160lbs lol?

·
Registered
376 Posts
So today i was riding my usual trail id ridden 100's of times before, its a slight rock garden, nothing extreme at all, rear tire was running 27psi, all of a sudden it exploded. At first i thought it was my brand new spank rim that had just collapsed but turned out it was the dhr II had split at one of the knobs. I'm Really pissed off after spending $100 to have a fairly newish exo+ dhr split like this, I was also surprised how much it had worn in the 2 months or so ive ridden on it. Its why i spent the extra on the "apparent" strength of exo+.

Is this normal or should i be contacting maxxis? most likely they wont do a thing but im really put off on there tires now considering how tame this rock garden actually was. I also thought Higher psi are meant to help this sort of thing but maybe 27psi is to much for my 160lbs lol?
Take photos and send them to Maxxis/shop you bought from.

You never know, they might warranty it.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Not normal but can happen. Try warranty it, 2 months is a little low for that kind of damage.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Not normal but can happen. Try warranty it, 2 months is a little low for that kind of damage.
Depends how many miles in 2 months, any pavement riding?

Sometimes you just catch a trail feature at the wrong angle and it does matter what tire you have. I have destroyed DH tires on their first day before due to rock strikes and high speeds. Look at the Pro DH and sometimes they do not finish their run on a tire that was just installed.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,052 Posts
I've had it happen before where I catch the edge of a rock at an off angle, the knob sticks to it (like it's supposed to do, right?), folds over, and rips through to the casing. I try to avoid tall knobs with insufficient support that can flex like that on my rear tire for other handling reasons, but if it happens too early or easily, then I definitely start to lose trust in that tire.

I'm about to replace my front tire (WTB Vigilante) because the side knobs are showing a great deal of wear from side loading stresses (rocks, hard cornering, etc). There's actually quite a lot of knob height left, but I'm starting to see little rips in those side knobs forming and I don't want a catastrophic failure up front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.