Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I have the components on order. It's fairly easy to cut a steel frame and knock up a suitable gizmo to hold it all together, so that's what I'll be doing.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Gapp said:
I would go wth an S&S coupler. They are sexy and functional...
Wrong sort of splitters. We're talking about separating the seatstay from the dropout to allow the belt to slip through for fitting.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Wow, talk about an excessively complicated and expensive solution to a simple problem.

All that's needed is a pin joint at the bottom of the seatstay. Many years back this was the normal way seatstays were joined to the dropout. Quite a few of the bikes using carbon seatstays have a pin joint at the dropout even now.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
baycat said:
Ibis Tranny is a possible substitute?
Nope. The split should be between the chain- and seatstays at or near the dropout. The Tranny's split is designed such that the entire rear triangle is detached from the front.

Too bad, though. A belt-drive, SS Tranny would be pretty darn cool.

Attachments

·
Wrench-O-Phile
262 Posts
Salsa Moto Rapido?

I heard from the rep that they don't recommend such an action (unbolting the seat stay) but when's the last time a recommendation from the factory stopped a bike mechanic anyway. :D

Hard to see in the pic, but the seatstay is carbon fiber so maybe felxing it open for a belt wouldn't be so bad. I believe they make a 29'r version as well. I also think Voodoo does a frame very similar to this and all are available as a '09.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you still need a way to tension the belt, it needs 6mm of adjustment to properly tension, and the belt must be able to slide the belt onto the ring and cog from the side. you cant "crank it on" like you would a normal chain, it will score the carbon and cause a stress riser that will brake the belt.

there are also only a few belt lengths so far so chainstay length is important.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.