Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dead set on a Specialized S-works Enduro that I let slip through my fingers.. So I wandered through through the Yeti Catalog in our shop and I fell in love with the 575 and the 7..

I will straight up say, I am still a kid.. I am still young and stupid and can do more stupid stuff then most and get away with it.. Plus my times put me competitive in the Pro class at most regional Dh races.. In short I need a bike that can be ridden hard..

This year my big focus is the Downieville Classic and some of the other Oregon Super D series.. but Downieville is the big one. Last year I was on a 36lbs Mongoose Khyber that was a tank to climb.. I am looking to drop some serious weight and gain some climbing abilities.

I am looking for a bike that will climb well and that I will be able to spend some serious sadle time on for more XC oriented rides. I am not looking for a XC race bike.. Just something that rolls along well and can climb well when I tell it too..
But I also want a bike that is fun coming back down on.. I want a bike that I can jump and charge technical sections with confidence, knowing the bike will take it.. I am not looking for a huck machine or a full on Dh bike, but I want a bike that I will be able to have fun on when the terrain gets ugly..

Lastly, My Dh bike got stolen a few months ago, so what ever bike I got, I would like to be able to handle MILD Shuttling.. I am not asking for a full on Dh rig and bike parks.. Just a bike that behaves itself on the descents and is ok with being jumped and used as a small play bike.

Before I talk about specifics for each bike, I am telling you all that each bike will get a adjustable seat post (Specialized Command post), a Travel adjust fork, and a 31 inch DH widebar.

I know that they are both different bikes but I guess I am looking for a bike to sit in between them..

I know that the 575 would be great at Downieville, would smoke local XC guys on the weekly rides, and would fly up climbs better then anything I have experienced. But I am wondering what it leaves to be desired on the descents.. I am sure that the extra 10mm of the lyric will help slacken it out a little bit and make it more of a fun play bike, but it still ain't no 7..

The 7 just seams to glare at me as a amazingly fun bike that I would be able to hammer and not have to ever feel like the bike is holding my back from being a kid and having fun.. Except for when the hill turns up hill.. I know everyone says its the best pedaling 7 inch bike out there, but it surly cant stack up to the 575 in the climbing ability. So is it worth the ride back down over the 575 to loose out on the climbs?

I am really asking for a more DH capable 575 or a lighter, better pedaling 7.. I just dont know which one would fit in that gap the best..

Any advice from you Yeti owners?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I ride an old 575 but I hear only good things about the 7 including climbing ability. Some tribe memebers had/have both and can add more but IMO from your description you lean towards the 7. Happy decisions.
BTW: I am hoping to demo a 7 as I "heared" it pedals great even when compared to DW bikes.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you are serious about the SD races you listed the 575 will be the right choice. If you want a bike that can handle some full DH lift or shuttle days then the 7 is the right choice.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you do get a 575, I would put a 36 or other 160 fork for the style of riding you are describing. The 7 may be the ticket for you, but it sounds like a 575 would definitely handle your requirements as well. Just throw a 160 up front, and get the RP23 PUSHED, possibly with the big hit kit (I did this, my 575 rides even better than it did stock, and no harsh bottoming), and you will have a killer set up.

·
jddist
373 Posts
I have both, and don't miss a single thing about the 575 when on my 7, but I don't do alot of 4 hour XC rides. More 2 to3 hour all mountain riding, pedal up and bomb down. 7 if perfect for this so my 575 if for sale now. From what it sounds like, the 7 was made just for you, but until you ride it, and the many other great bikes in this catagory such as nomad, firebird, 5 spot, enduro....... you are can't be sure. Ride as many as possible and then make your decision. However, if you don't have that option I would say you will not be disappointed with the 7.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
istvisinet said:
I have both, and don't miss a single thing about the 575 when on my 7, but I don't do alot of 4 hour XC rides. More 2 to3 hour all mountain riding, pedal up and bomb down. 7 if perfect for this so my 575 if for sale now. From what it sounds like, the 7 was made just for you, but until you ride it, and the many other great bikes in this catagory such as nomad, firebird, 5 spot, enduro....... you are can't be sure. Ride as many as possible and then make your decision. However, if you don't have that option I would say you will not be disappointed with the 7.
Hey Jeff
Just one correction, you bomb up and than you bomb down;)

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
istvisinet said:
As I said I had a S-works Enduro that I just barley missed out on so thats how I got looking at the Yeti's.. I am going to stay between Yeti or Specialized, as I work in a shop that carries both of those.. Sadly we only order in Yeti's and we have never had a 7 so my only experience with the Yeti's is a few 575's that have come through.

I have spent some time on the Enduro and the Stumpjumpers, as we have Specialized test bikes and I was considering the Stumpjumper EVO. After some time on the Enduro, I decided I wanted more bike then the EVO to go down hill on..

Its good to know that you dont miss the 575 while your on the 7.. I know that 7 should run away from the 575 on the downhill, but when your climbing or on flats, did the 575 run away from the 7? I would love a more detailed comparison between the two of them..

As you have all herd, I am leaning towards the 7 but I am just boggled that a 7 inch bike can climb as well as everyone says and that leads to hesitation on if i want a smaller pedal-able bike or the bigger 7..

·
jddist
373 Posts
I personally think the 7 out climbs the 575 in everything except long inclined fire road ride type things, but then again it is not an xc bike. I went out this weekend for a 2 hour XC trail ride than even included about 5 miles on streets and when I got back to the car I remember thinking how selling the 575 is the right decision. I did not regret riding the 7 at all, and best thing of all was that during the ride there was some urban stuff that included 5 foot drops to flat that just felt like butter on the 7. I have the DHX air on mine and have it set really plush but even so, when I click the pro pedal lever it really pedals and rides like a 4 in bike with an all mountain geo.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Coming off an '08 575 with a pushed rp23, my new 7 does out climb in technical terrain. Handles square edge hits better. I do feel the extra weight, but its not bad for recreational rides. It's worth it for how well it eats up the downhills. With a 160 fork, it climbs great with no lift on steep climbs.

I don't regret selling my 575.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.. I was just scared of the big number 7 and thinking that it couldn't possibly climb well with that much travel. It shouldn't really be that big of a worry of mine when I am comming off of a 36lbs 160mm bike that I used as an "everyday" bike, I managed to climb Downieville faster then 80% of the other racers so I have the motor to push any bike up the hill.. I am sure that the 7 will climb circles around the Mongoose I am coming off of..

I will keep you guys updated, now I need to figure out if I want the Enduro build kit or spring for the Race kit.. so many decisions..

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I was recently on an '06 Enduro and still have an '09 Stumpjumper modified to 5.3" w/ a Pike. Had my 7 a couple of months. The Stumpy collects dust...even on the XC days. I was like you, 7" trailbike sounded like serious overkill...it's not. I'm used to the older Enduro where you jump on the pedals on a steep climb and the rear suspension squishes through 1/3 of your travel with each stroke. I was expecting the same thing with the 7. Nope. Just strong power transmission as the bike shoots up the climb with nary a whimper from the suspension. And that's with propedal off. And then...oh mommy...point that baby down and ride the magic carpet. Anything short of basketball size I don't even notice anymore. I can't wait for Moab!

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nightofthefleming said:
if you go for the 7, what fork would you put on it? a 160 or 180?
Probably a Lyric two step air.. so 160.. I there was a good 180mm travel adjust fork out there, I would be all over it.. I just havn't herd great things about the Fox Talas, and My Lyric on my previous bike was amazing..

If I do decided on the 7, then some day down the road, I would like to have a 180mm fork for the really gnar stuff but that will have to wait..

titusquasi said:
I was recently on an '06 Enduro and still have an '09 Stumpjumper modified to 5.3" w/ a Pike. Had my 7 a couple of months. The Stumpy collects dust...even on the XC days. I was like you, 7" trailbike sounded like serious overkill...it's not. I'm used to the older Enduro where you jump on the pedals on a steep climb and the rear suspension squishes through 1/3 of your travel with each stroke. I was expecting the same thing with the 7. Nope. Just strong power transmission as the bike shoots up the climb with nary a whimper from the suspension. And that's with propedal off.
Not hating on the new Enduro, because I think that it is a very capable and amazing bike.. But I am glad to hear that you can compare the two.. Even though it was the older Enduro.. plus I have ridden the Stumpjumpers and the Brain that specialized uses is flat out amazing. I really do like the ride feel of FSR suspension, Soaks up square edged hits and feels good on the way down too.. but from the sound of it, Yeti has gotten their single pivots down pretty well too.. with such a low pivot, It should behave pretty well on the trail .

·
Registered
607 Posts
swan3609 said:
Probably a Lyric two step air.. so 160.. I there was a good 180mm travel adjust fork out there, I would be all over it.. I just havn't herd great things about the Fox Talas, and My Lyric on my previous bike was amazing..

If I do decided on the 7, then some day down the road, I would like to have a 180mm fork for the really gnar stuff but that will have to wait..
I have heard nothing but the exact opposite of the talas 180. All I hear is how it is buttery smooth and a very nice fork. If it were me, if I bought a 7, I would only put a 180 fork up front. If I wanted a bike with a 160 fork, I would put one on a 575, which is something I'm planning on doing to mine very soon. The main appeal of the 7 for me, besides it being 180 fork compatible, is the different shock options. That way I could run coil or air depending on what I was riding. But as a solid all arounder, I think the 575 with a 160 fork is perfect.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Having run a 160mm on my 575, I was little frustrated with how it handled. Downhill was fine, but it did lift on steep climbs. Combine the extra front travel with the rear end's tendency to ride in the middle of its travel and it just didn't feel really well balanced. I had put my 36 Float at 140mm and that was a nice setup, stiff front end but the best geometry. I have not ridden the new 575 though, with it's revised geometry and new stiffer rear swing arm. It might address a lot that.

My new 7 just motors up steep, rocky sections without any lift for me. Running a new Van 36RC2 and it's so smooth and adjustable. For riding up and down, I think the 160 is the way to go. At my weight, 240 geared up, I think that coil front and back is going to be the way for me, which is one contributing reason I sold the 575 since it could only take an air shock. The price point the 7 is positioned, there certainly is a lot of competition. the deal Competitive Cycles was running happened to work out for me, so it's still a good deal even with buying a new rear shock.

If your planning on doing competition events, weight certainly could be an issue. The 7 doesn't strike me as a racing machine unless the course is really downhill biased.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nightofthefleming said:
I have heard nothing but the exact opposite of the talas 180. All I hear is how it is buttery smooth and a very nice fork. If it were me, if I bought a 7, I would only put a 180 fork up front. If I wanted a bike with a 160 fork, I would put one on a 575, which is something I'm planning on doing to mine very soon. The main appeal of the 7 for me, besides it being 180 fork compatible, is the different shock options. That way I could run coil or air depending on what I was riding. But as a solid all arounder, I think the 575 with a 160 fork is perfect.
I have looked at the new Talas 180 and I am still undecided.. I have loved my Lyric's in the past and I haven't herd much feedback on the 180 Talas.. but a 180-140 fork would be sweet if it didnt suffer from the issues I have herd about the 160 Talas.. I will try and find some more reviews, but after the poor showing of the 160 Talas, Its a big jump for me to sway from my tried and true Rockshox..

Speaking of Shock options, I am thinking that It will be getting a Vivid Air some time in the future. I am not a huge fan of the rp23 and with some of the longer descents I do, I can see needing a better shock, but I dont want to go full coil as I am trying to stick kinda close to the 30 lbs mark..

Lastly understand that I am a kid about ready to go to college, so not only am I on skinny budget (Fork and shock upgrades are coming from selling what comes with the bike) I am also trying to build ONE bike that I can take to school and do all of my DH/AM/XC all in one.. I know a 575 would be a better Trail type bike, but I want a play bike too.. and with the 7 climbing and pedaling as well as everyone says, I believe that it will suffice as a XC type bike. I am positive that it will be a better XC rig then the 36lbs Mongoose Khyber that I came off of. And I put in many all day XC rides on the Khyber and had a great time.

I think a 7 is a better do it all bike for me. But if not, then I lost one season and I will sell the 7 and ride a 575 next year :D

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KrisRayner said:
Having run a 160mm on my 575, I was little frustrated with how it handled. Downhill was fine, but it did lift on steep climbs. Combine the extra front travel with the rear end's tendency to ride in the middle of its travel and it just didn't feel really well balanced. I had put my 36 Float at 140mm and that was a nice setup, stiff front end but the best geometry. I have not ridden the new 575 though, with it's revised geometry and new stiffer rear swing arm. It might address a lot that.

My new 7 just motors up steep, rocky sections without any lift for me. Running a new Van 36RC2 and it's so smooth and adjustable. For riding up and down, I think the 160 is the way to go. At my weight, 240 geared up, I think that coil front and back is going to be the way for me, which is one contributing reason I sold the 575 since it could only take an air shock. The price point the 7 is positioned, there certainly is a lot of competition. the deal Competitive Cycles was running happened to work out for me, so it's still a good deal even with buying a new rear shock.

If your planning on doing competition events, weight certainly could be an issue. The 7 doesn't strike me as a racing machine unless the course is really downhill biased.
I have a distinct price advantage of working at a Bike shop that deals Yeti so price competitiveness is not a big issue :thumbsup:

I agree that 160 non TA on the 575 would not be a great combo.. I know that with the 7 you are able to run more sag, which lets the bike track better up hill and also track over stuff better.. I tend to agree with the 160 on the 7 too.. but If I can find many reviews of the new 36 Talas 180-140 that are positive, then I may think about that.. as I said though.. I have loved my lyrics in the past and cant complain about them..

My manager Hates his 32 Fit 150 on his 25th Anniversary edition 575 and I have 2 other riding buddies that arnt a fan of their Talas either.. they all complain about brake dive unless you run higher pressures, at which the fork is no longer plush. If the new 180 Talas is different then I would be willing to try, just I want my TA for my climbs and I want a plush ride on the way back down.

And in season, I am under 180lbs fully geared so I am fine on air, and I am thinking that I may be getting a Vivid Air If I can squeeze it out of my budget.. I am already looking at a Adjustable seatpost, Wide bar, and a custom wheelset, so the vivid may not happen for a little while..

And I am not looking for a racing machine exactly.. I just want something that will be competitive with other 28-32lbs bikes out there.. I am a strong enough rider that I can push a heavier bike up hill and still be competitive.. I prefer to have fun on the way down on 95% of my rides rather then save a minute on a climb in the 5% of the time the bike is getting raced :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Alright, I guess I was assuming that one of the main reasons for the new bike was for races, like downieville and some super D races like you stated in your original post, which is why I was pushing the 575 with a 160 fork. So you have a light enough bike for the races, but a bike capable enough for play riding. If this will mostly be a play bike, then I think the 7 will be perfect. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
jddist
373 Posts
Take a long look at the Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti. I built my 7 with one from chainlove for $449 and absolutely love it. I have Fox 36 RC2s on both my 575 and my Firebird and after spending some time on the 55 and can't stand the 36 any more. Could just be the difference between air and coil but I have an older, 2007, 36 Van RC on my ASX and the 55 blows it away also. Have a couple of friends who have change to the 55 in the past months and they are all feeling the same. Now we are all just hoping the 55 hold up. Just some more info since I saw the thread start to include some fork info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.