Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tbone said:
Do the splined disc brakes actually save weight??? Am considering getting some of the XT splined hubs and rotors.
They do according to Shimano. If you take a conventional (ISO) 6-screw shimano hub and the "modern" splined eqivalent, add the weight of their discs, the screws or the lockring, the splined will come out weighting less.

Of course, you can find ISO hubs that weight much less than either system from Shimano, same with discs, so in most cases you would add weight in return for the convenience of the splined attachment. (I believe noone argues with the fact, that the splined system is more convenient...)

-b

·
Registered
500 Posts
DT Swiss licensed the Centerlock system from Shimano, the only other hub manufacturer to do so, I believe.

From DT's website:

240S 6-bolt rear hub: 273 grams
240S Centerlock rear hub: 258 grams

240S 6-bolt front hub: 154 grams
240S Centerlock front hub: 136 grams

So using these hubs with Centerlock rotors would be the lightest set-up. They are fairly spendy hubs though.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
riverrat said:
DT Swiss licensed the Centerlock system from Shimano, the only other hub manufacturer to do so, I believe.

From DT's website:

240S 6-bolt rear hub: 273 grams
240S Centerlock rear hub: 258 grams

240S 6-bolt front hub: 154 grams
240S Centerlock front hub: 136 grams

So using these hubs with Centerlock rotors would be the lightest set-up. They are fairly spendy hubs though.
Mavic and Bontrager have centerlock wheel systems now as well

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I'm running the CL XT's hubs and they are easy to deal with, same socket as the rear cassette to remove disk locking ring, easy to service. But service it needs at every 1000m, more if muddy. Hadley way better and heavier, sealed bearings with o-ring sealed casing, no service just some light oil on the pawls in 3500 miles fast engagement but a bit noisy.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
my rotor weights

avid mech disk rotor=117g

XTR SM-RT96=141g

so the spendy xtr spline disks are a bit heavier than the avid mechanical stock disks. I was disappointed! I have some 6 bolt XT's and centerloc XT's but didn't weigh them before they were built up (doh!).

yeah yeah I know what you're thinking...."So were is the weight weenie content?" LOL! Just posting some rotor weights FYI.

Oh yeah and that's WITH the centerlock locking nut think and WITHOUT the 6 bolts for the avid disk (doh again!)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Can you rin different calipers with shimano centerlock rotors??
BTW what the hell is with Shimano adopting the Cannondale pilosophy lately "well just do everthing completely different just to piss you off theory"

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
avid mech disk rotor=117g

XTR SM-RT96=141g

so the spendy xtr spline disks are a bit heavier than the avid mechanical stock disks. I was disappointed! I have some 6 bolt XT's and centerloc XT's but didn't weigh them before they were built up (doh!).

yeah yeah I know what you're thinking...."So were is the weight weenie content?" LOL! Just posting some rotor weights FYI.

Oh yeah and that's WITH the centerlock locking nut think and WITHOUT the 6 bolts for the avid disk (doh again!)
You need to include the bolts weight to make it a fair comparison! :) Comparing shimano branded rotors there is no difference. The 6 bolt shimano is about 140g with hardware much the same as the CL. The hubs themselves are lighter compared to the earlier 6 bolt models.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Guital2 said:
Can you rin different calipers with shimano centerlock rotors??
BTW what the hell is with Shimano adopting the Cannondale pilosophy lately "well just do everthing completely different just to piss you off theory"
Yes and no.
You can run different calipers just fine. Shimano allows others to use a lot of their designs such as octalink, outboard bearings, center lock rotors for example. Its up to others to decide whether they adopt them. In the case of octalink the industry prefered to do its own standard with ISIS which wasn't quite all that after all so now they are all back to following Shimano's lead adopting their specific outboard bearing design accross the board. Major wheel makers are now adopting centerlock which is great I think. I wish centerlock would become the dominating standard. I wouldn't call it a "just do everthing completely different just to piss you off" mentality" You can lock yourself into a set standard forever and keep everything compatible but you can forget about any significant innovation then.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Centerlock is THE WAY

Centerlock is the best rotor hub interface. XTR centerlock rotors are lighter than shimano 6 bolt rotors (check weight weenies) and the centerlock hubs are lighter too. If one wants a really light setup: DT centerlock hubs with DT 6 bolt adapters and Stans AL rotors, or the new Ti rotors coming out from PUSH (if they ever happen). The advent of DTs trick 6 bolt rotor to centerlock adapter (no bolts required) makes six bolt hubs all but obsolete IMO. If you have not seen DTs adapter check it out on the tech pages at mbaction.com.

·
Don't touch me!
854 Posts
From what I've read, Shimano is only licensing the hub interface and not the rotor interface. So no one can legally produce centerlock rotors. They said it has something to do with manufacturing standards... I see it as sustained income. But I can't blame them for making a superior product. Its a competetive advantage when you can produce just about every component there is on a bike. It gives you room to innovate.

Yep, Shimano is more than happy to sell their centerlock rotors seperately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.