Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the splice diva edition (yes the sticker is already gone lol) and will be installing the firm spring. what oil should i put in it when i reassemble? I don't live near a bike shop so can i go to the auto parts and get some motor oil? if not there how about a motorcycle shop? Just let me know my options, and btw i am 210 pounds but not too aggressive so should i go away from the 5 weight?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
atvsmurf said:
I bought the splice diva edition (yes the sticker is already gone lol) and will be installing the firm spring. what oil should i put in it when i reassemble? I don't live near a bike shop so can i go to the auto parts and get some motor oil? if not there how about a motorcycle shop? Just let me know my options, and btw i am 210 pounds but not too aggressive so should i go away from the 5 weight?
Motor oil won't work. Doesn't compress enough. Pick up some motorcycle fork oil. Cheap and is pretty much the same stuff. Yeah, you may want to try something a little more viscuous. A heavier weight will be more difficult to compress, but will also slow down the rebound. Keep that in mind.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Definately-- fork oil from a motorcycle shop. If you're really in a bind, automatic transmission fluid will work, but you'll have no way of knowing the exact viscosity -- ATF can have a pretty wide range.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
You don't have to mess with oil if you're just going to replace the spring. All the oil is in the right leg, the spring is in the left. All you have to do is pull out the old one and drop in the new spring. You will need some Manitou Prep M grease for the spring, though. Those forks still use the old grease port system. Lube it up really good with Prep M or another silicon based grease before you drop it in.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Also, never use a heavier oil than 5 wt. in Manitou forks. They're not designed for it. Anything else will totally screw up the dampening characteristics, both rebound and compression. I fiddled with all weights and mixtures for the first year that I had Manitou's (starting in 02), and nothing felt as right as 5wt. Later, Manitou techs told me themselves not to use anything but 5 wt. for a stock fork.

Unless you really start customizing your shims and ports and what not on the internals, don't mess with oil weights.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Wait... does Splice even use oil? Doesn't it just use grease in the dampeners? If there's any oil, wouldn't it be in the lowers for the semi-bath? Maybe I'm just mixing it up with the Stance again... I could be totally off (very likely, sleep deprived) but I'm too lazy to check.

·
Lazy People Suck
771 Posts
I just bought one of those OEM Splice Divas with a lockout from Nashbar also. $128.00 shipped including the firm spring was tough to beat. Looking it over, it is pretty indistiguishable externally from the Manitou Black fork. I suspect the internals are probably cheaper and simpler than the aftermarket forks.

One issue I had was that the fork still had 1-1.5 inches of movement when the lockout was engaged. If you find the same thing on yours, the oil level is a little low on it. I replaced the oil to the factory spec height and the lockout is now nice and tight. I personally like the feel of using 7.5 wt oil in the Manitou forks that I have used. Very minor, but slightly improved feel. It has TPC damping, so it does use oil in the damper.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Wait... does Splice even use oil? Doesn't it just use grease in the dampeners? If there's any oil, wouldn't it be in the lowers for the semi-bath? Maybe I'm just mixing it up with the Stance again... I could be totally off (very likely, sleep deprived) but I'm too lazy to check.
It is oil in the damper and grease for the sliders. This is how the Black used to be lubed. I had no issues in 2+ years with my old Black.

Mr. P

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
You got it backwards...

XSL_WiLL said:
Oil in the dampers, grease for the lube job. The other way around would be like trying to "do it" using tooth paste for lube. Just won't work.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
mattsavage said:
Oil in the dampers, grease for the lube job. The other way around would be like trying to "do it" using tooth paste for lube. Just won't work.
Yeah, that's what Manitou does with the Stance line. Open it up and take a look. And you can't replace the grease with oil either, the seals won't hold. Ever hear about the numerous complaints about the Stance forks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.