Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I got the Warrior Pro in for the gf and spent a few hours setting it up. Overall I'm impressed with the bike considering how much it cost. And it looks badass.

This fork seems super stiff though, I'm trying to get the sag dialed in and in the process I've bled out ALL the air - which has made it softer. But man, that thing is still a bear to compress. The gf comes in at 120lbs, I come in at 140. Even with all the air out this thing still won't give me (at 140) 20% sag.

I had no expecations that this would be as plush as my Talas RL but I need to get the preload down to something that will work for the gf. Any thoughts?

thanks
SR

BTW - I have no experience with Manitou products.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
replacement springs for Splice

OK - after doing a little research it looks like I need to swap out the spring - where can I get replacement springs fo rthis fork (Manitou Splice Elite OEM)

thanks
SR

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
skinnyRacer said:
OK - after doing a little research it looks like I need to swap out the spring - where can I get replacement springs fo rthis fork (Manitou Splice Elite OEM)

thanks
SR
Maybe Manitou made a move to a stiffer spring after all of the complaints about the Manitou Black circa 02 and up. Great fork, just under-sprung for most people. And most riders won't know about changing the spring so they ride undersprung and blame the fork performance. Changing that spring makes a world of difference.

Mr. P

·
Registered
981 Posts
skinnyRacer said:
...The gf comes in at 120lbs, I come in at 140. Even with all the air out this thing still won't give me (at 140) 20% sag...
Take from a fellow feather weight rider, you'll need to order a softer spring. I weigh 130 and have had to go with softer springs on all my suspension products (except for the oddly undersprung Psylo). The stock suspension is setup for the 160-170 pound rider, that seems to be the bike industry's magical weight spec'ing out stuff.

Shops don't usually carry springs in their inventory, but any Manitou dealer can order the parts for you.

If you want to order it online, go to http://aebike.com
In their fork section, you can order fork parts and they have most of the Manitou springs for the Splice available. Manitou springs typically run around $15-$20.

But before you buy anything, give the Manitou tech support crew a phone call. I know I've been saying this for every Manitou post that has come up in the shocks/suspension forum recently, but I really think it's the best thing to do. Get the answers to you questions straight from the horse's mouth. They were super helpful in helping me setup my Minute 1 fork over the phone during the course of a week of trial and error on the trails.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
CPK- Crazy Poway Kid
48 Posts
I got the warrior elite and it came with the splice comp 110- 130 adjust w/o air assist and i thought it was way too soft. I called up Manitou and talked to Bobby Acuna who said just called the place where I purchased it (performance) and have them call him up. Well I called performance once and he never got back to me but I just got used to having a super plush fork.
So if you want different springs you just got to convince Manitou that you need them and they'll send them out free of charge if you convince Bobby well enough but if you don't, you might end up paying for them. Im not sure about installation though because i never followed through with getting the springs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
frankenbike said:
If you want to order it online, go to http://aebike.com
In their fork section, you can order fork parts and they have most of the Manitou springs for the Splice available. Manitou springs typically run around $15-$20.
Do you know what spring rate (of the 5 available) the fork is equipped with stock?

I'm 6'6" 185lbs, run my Splice fork with zero air assist. During a typically XC ride of a couple of hours my fork doesn't use more than 80mm of it's travel.

It wasn't until I did a day of lift served downhilling at Mammoth that the fork used its full 5 inches of travel.

I wouldn't mind installing the next range softer spring so that I had some tunability with air pressures.

As performance goes. My one complaint is that high speed damping is far too harsh. Doesn't do a good job of soaking up washboard type stuff at all.

Anyone know how the weight of the Splice fork compares to others in the Manitou line? With the front wheel of the bike, there sure seems to be some heft going on with the forks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.