Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting one of the 05 giant reign closeouts. With the saved money should i buy a different fork? Is the the splice any good and is the vanilla much better?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Got_Issues? said:
Im looking at getting one of the 05 giant reign closeouts. With the saved money should i buy a different fork? Is the the splice any good and is the vanilla much better?
splice is terrible compared to a Fox. Go with a Fox or Rockshox.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,584 Posts
Got_Issues? said:
Okay, http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_front_shocks/
Splice has damping problems, fox van is a much better choice.

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
Or...

How about with the money you save, you buy an 05 Minute SPV volume adjuster and SPV Evolve rebound assembly and stick those in there. It'll essentially make it a Minute 1, but slightly heavier, like 0.2lbs. Or you could order a TPC+ damper for the Black and stick it in there.

Total cost for those two items will be about 75 bucks. And the TPC+ damper is around 60 dollars. You can get them from AE Bike and they'd be there in a couple days. Or get the part numbers form Manitou's Tech manuals and have a shop order them for you directly from Manitou.

That's the route I'd take, it's fun to take things apart and learn about them like that.

A brand new Vanilla or Reba would be sweet too.

·
I dig trails!
5,577 Posts
Got_Issues? said:
Make sure you are getting the Splice with the TPC damping. Some have noted some stiction in the movement due to the legs, but that may go away after it's break in period. Check the reviews.

Depending on your skill level, it could be a great fork for you.

Like what the other posters have written, the ($150 - $200 Splice) fork isn't quite the quality fork as a $900 Fox 36 :rolleyes:

Mr. P

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
mattsavage said:
Ooops, I was thinking Trance. The Reba is a little short for the Reign. How about a Pike on closeout?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so general consensus is that it is better worth upgrading from the splice. For me that probably narrows it down to the Reba, vanilla and maybe pike though their usually more expensive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mattsavage said:
How about with the money you save, you buy an 05 Minute SPV volume adjuster and SPV Evolve rebound assembly and stick those in there. It'll essentially make it a Minute 1, but slightly heavier, like 0.2lbs. Or you could order a TPC+ damper for the Black and stick it in there.

Total cost for those two items will be about 75 bucks. And the TPC+ damper is around 60 dollars. You can get them from AE Bike and they'd be there in a couple days. Or get the part numbers form Manitou's Tech manuals and have a shop order them for you directly from Manitou.

That's the route I'd take, it's fun to take things apart and learn about them like that.

Maybe i just havent been around much, but ive never known anyone whos tricked out a low end fork with part upgrades. Do you have to be a mechanical genious or just or merelyu inteligent? And is it worth doing all that to a low end fork? Damn i ask alot of questions. If its easty enough and cheap enough though that could be really cool. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mr.P said:
Depending on your skill level, it could be a great fork for you.

Like what the other posters have written, the ($150 - $200 Splice) fork isn't quite the quality fork as a $900 Fox 36 :rolleyes:

Mr. P
Quite underspoken.

The Splice isn't even quite the quality fork as even a 2005 Reba SL ($270) nor a 2005 Vanilla R ($400). But all-in-all, some version of the Pike, Revelation, or a long-travel Recon would be a better match for the performance envelope of the Giant Reign.

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
Yeah, it's a total piece of cake....

Got_Issues? said:
Maybe i just havent been around much, but ive never known anyone whos tricked out a low end fork with part upgrades. Do you have to be a mechanical genious or just or merelyu inteligent? And is it worth doing all that to a low end fork? Damn i ask alot of questions. If its easty enough and cheap enough though that could be really cool. I'll check it out.
All you need are some hex wrenches, a socket set, and crescent wrench. You'll also need to buy some 5wt fork oil from a motorcycle shop to replace what you have to drain out.

The fork doesn't really have any resale value in its stock form, so you may as well use it to learn with, you really won't be out that much money. A hundred bucks at most to turn it from a "low end fork" to an upper mid range fork. If you look at its spec's it has many of the same construction attributes as their higher end forks, aluminum steerer, magnesium lowers... It's just the internals that are chintzy, and really it's just the compression damper. By switching it to SPV Evolve using the Minute internals, the only difference would be the chromo stancions and the heavier forged crown. You'll get much better compression and rebound dampening, bottom out resistance, the fork will sit higher in its travel due to the SPV, which would make a better match for the nearly 6" of travel in the rear, all for the fraction of the cost of buying an entirely new fork, that won't be that much better, just a little different. A TPC+ cartridge is also very worthwile upgrade.

People do this kind of stuff all the time, myself included. Look at all the guys on here who have been swapping parts back and forth on their 500-700 dollar Z1's and AM's, just to get one feature or another on the fork that it didn't come stock with. Then they're out a buttload of money because they only have a portion of a fork left, so they have to sell it at a severe discount or just save it for parts.

I say give it a shot. If you don't like it, you could always resell the parts on Ebay. I know I'd grab them up in a second. If not, you can get 05 Nixon Elites on closeout right now for about 350 bucks, a great lightweight trail fork.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's good!

Got_Issues? said:

I used an 05 130mm splice comp for 5 months on rooty rocky east coast trails. It didn't even have a rebound adjustment. I was impressed. For a cheap fork,it works well.I weigh 175 lbs and had to order a soft spring to get the plushness and the recomended sag. Usually, the manitou medium springs are a little too soft for me. So much for consistancy.
Just tune it to your weight and ride. The manitou minute and fox vanilla do track better at higher speeds through the rough stuff, though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i rode my splice for about 3 months (700miles) and it still works. I rode it pretty hard too took it off 3 footers almost daily and even took it off a 5 foot drop off with out a trannya few times.I wouldnt recommend it thought the landing was pretty harsh. However, performence wise it does'nt even compare to my all mountain 1 especially at high speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts