Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to run an E13 LG1 on my Spitty, but I am wondering if the tabs are up to the task. I know on other bikes (Intense Socom) that had welded on ISCG tabs, that it was a weak point. Those frames couldn't tolerate bashing of the "taco" style bash guard. Is this an issue on the Spitty? Should I just get an SRS guide or something similar that puts the bash on the crank, and not worry about it? Keith please chime in if you read this.

Thanks

·
Nucking Futs
377 Posts
Yes you are correct, in fact Banshee states this clearly in their new warranty(which came with your Spitfire frame, the little a4 sheet). All damage caused by taco-style bashguards on any of their frame's will void the warranty. You can't make it strong enough in such a small place. I run a bash, front derr and stinger and so far I like it:thumbsup: Well the stinger is a bit tight but it works. If you want a single ring guide take a look at the Straitline silent guide, pure awesomeness.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yeah the ISCG tabs on our bikes are designed to snap off before frames get damaged (a bit like how the hanger is designed to bend before dropout) in that area from impacts on ISCG which are commong with Taco guides... there are many companies that will not warranty this guide type for this reason. Plus if you 50:50 a rock with a taco guide, it will stop you dead and have same impact on frame as a crash, whereas with bashring, your cranks will spin and you will not stop which could save you a nasty crash... or at least thats the experience I have had from doing just that on both style bashrings.

I ride and SRS+ on my spitfire and love it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
interesting, I just mouted an LG1+ on my spitty.
I actually didn't see the warranty sheet...

so a bash guard is better for high impacts, at least for the frame.
:confused:
don't want to change... but it seems I have to, especialy with that low bb

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You don't have to change, it;s just that if the frame cracks or anything in an area caused directly or indirectly by the taco, then you will not get a warranty, but just be offered a crash replacement price, is this kind of damage counts as a crash because it is direct impact on a frame, bit like we do not warranty hangers, because they are there to bend to save the frame.

A bashguard spreads load through the BB, which is well supported and designed to take load.

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, that's pretty much what I expected, I'll run a guide and a bash. By the way I dug out my warranty sheet, and it was right there in black and white! :blush:

Thanks Keith, I love that you frequent this forum, it's great to quickly get technical advice right from the source.

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guy.Ford said:
I would get the SRS+ or even better the SS+. Tacos are for dinner or paid/sponsored riders
Why SS+? It's heavier, its steel, it's less adjustable, and only allows up to 36t ring. I was planning on running 38t, but could be persuaded to go 36t for a good reason!

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
coiler-d said:
Why SS+? It's heavier, its steel, it's less adjustable, and only allows up to 36t ring. I was planning on running 38t, but could be persuaded to go 36t for a good reason!
Because its cheaper, you more than make up the dif in weight by already dropping the frnt der/shifter/cables setup and because of the nature of the spitfire design, you dont need all that extra adjustment, the SS+ will mount right up without issue. No point in spending extra $ if you dont need too.

Not to sound like a ******, but I figured that like most "riders" on these forums you'd be running the lazy wuss standard 32T ring, def nothing over 36T. I admire your gusto in opting out of the lazy trend of going to the easy gearing. I would say if you do indeed intend to run a 38T then go for the SRS+. :thumbsup:

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I run a double ring 38/24 set-up with a 9 speed 11-34t cassette now and rarely use the granny ring. I will be going 1x10 with a 38t ring and 36t cassette, I figure those extra 2 teeth on the cassette will be perfect. It's not that I think I am some sort of e-badass, but I don't want to run a smaller ring and limit my top end any further, I will be racing this bike for Super-D and I occasionally run out of gear now.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
coiler-d said:
Yeah, I run a double ring 38/24 set-up with a 9 speed 11-34t cassette now and rarely use the granny ring. I will be going 1x10 with a 38t ring and 36t cassette, I figure those extra 2 teeth on the cassette will be perfect. It's not that I think I am some sort of e-badass, but I don't want to run a smaller ring and limit my top end any further, I will be racing this bike for Super-D and I occasionally run out of gear now.
I dont think your an e-badass, but thats a strong ring combo to run and you should be proud. Id go SRS+ then!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.