Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Picked up an XT Carbon last week. Had it on a couple rides, once out with my wife on mainly slow technical trails but two pretty good downhills where I got it up to speed but I was mainly turning dials and testing pressure then a second day of pretty fast and jumpy flow trail shuttling. Pedals as good or better than my V1 Sentinel with a cascade link, weighs the same thing (My Sentinel had a coil shock) not great in the slow twisty stuff but bearable. When speed picks up stability is unbelievable, I haven't owned a DH bike in a few years but the Spire is more stable than I remember my last Turner DHR was. Its going to take some guts to find the cornering limits. Ill take it to Windrock this weekend and see what its like in the rough. It wouldn't be a good "only bike" but paired with my Rootdown its going to cover all my bases well.

·
Registered
611 Posts

Weight as pictured with pedals is 31.2 pounds.

Large XT
Fox 38/X2
Enve M6 Stem
One up carbon bar. 35 mm rise
Trickstuff Direttissima brakes
XTR rotors
XTR Cassette
Sramano AXS
Berk Carbon seat
Berd TR27 wheels laced to DT Swiss 240's
Michelin Wild Enduro's, front and rear.
Deity Tmac pedals
Eewing cranks

I still have to go back and mess with the drivetrain, it was shifting perfectly with the XT cassette, but not so much with the XTR. I suspect I didn't assemble the lower cogs correctly though just eyballing it, gaps look off. Also won't really be able to ride it for a while as I'm down with a shoulder separation. But hopefully in about six weeks.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Registered
43 Posts
Weight as pictured with pedals is 31.2 pounds.

Large XT
Enve M6 Stem
One up carbon bar. 35 mm rise
Trickstuff Direttissima brakes
XTR rotors
XTR Cassette
Sramano AXS
Berk Carbon seat
Berd TR27 wheels laced to DT Swiss 240's
Michelin Wild Enduro's, front and rear.
Deity Tmac pedals
Eewing cranks

I still have to go back and mess with the drivetrain, it was shifting perfectly with the XT cassette, but not so much with the XTR. I suspect I didn't assemble the lower cogs correctly though just eyballing it, gaps look off. Also won't really be able to ride it for a while as I'm down with a shoulder separation. But hopefully in about six weeks.
Dude... that build, awesome choices! Impressive to come in just over 31lbs too in a large.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am considering a replacement for my 17 Firebird with 27.5 wheels. The Spire is on the list to consider. I'm guessing i will be making the move to 29 inch wheels with the new bike. Hoping to hear more about the Spire but, seems like availability is "challenged" like everything else right now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am considering a replacement for my 17 Firebird with 27.5 wheels. The Spire is on the list to consider. I'm guessing i will be making the move to 29 inch wheels with the new bike. Hoping to hear more about the Spire but, seems like availability is "challenged" like everything else right now.
Depends where you are, plenty of stock in the UK :-/

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Land vehicle

Mine arrived, ordered late May before they were officially announced. Right now not going to put it together as I just built another long travel 29er. The riding options for this kind of bike are limited over the winter locally but I'm sure I'll find a destination. I appreciate that Transition spec'd this in a way that it really requires no changes or upgrades. Sure I might choose a different handlebar or tires, but would be content riding it just as it is. That's unusual for a complete bike.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've got an alloy Spire frame on the way also. Surprised they actually had it in stock, and the price was right.

Converting from an Enduro as well, seems to be a common theme these days. (y)
Taking the 5mm spacer off the EXT so it'll get the full 170mm on the Spire. Zeb on the front at 170 or 180, whichever one works best. I had the HA on the Enduro sitting right around 62.5 degrees with the 42mm offset fork and it was surprising good, even for trail use. So probably heading for the slacker route on the Spire as well.

That'll make 3 Transitions in the garage in 3 materials;
Steel TrailorPark, carbon Spur, and aluminum Spire.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've got an alloy Spire frame on the way also. Surprised they actually had it in stock, and the price was right.

Taking the 5mm spacer off the EXT so it'll get the full 170mm on the Spire. Zeb on the front at 170 or 180, whichever one works best. I had the HA on the Enduro sitting right around 62.5 degrees with the 42mm offset fork and it was surprising good, even for trail use. So probably heading for the slacker route on the Spire as well.

That'll make 3 Transitions in the garage in 3 materials;
Steel TrailorPark, carbon Spur, and aluminum Spire.
What size spire? The smaller sizes don’t fit the ext reservoir unless you get the e-storia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Oh, So Interesting!
6,065 Posts

I think a lot of Enduro owners got a Spur because the Enduro is not much fun on any trail without a lot of slope angle and pucker factor. Some trails I stopped riding entirely because it was too boring, and other rides may have some gnar, but also miles of tamer trail. I've met several other Enduro owners riding my Spur so far, and plenty online.

The promise of a more nimble and agile 170mm bike that has geo as dialed as the Spur at a good price makes the Spire very appealing. Also now's not a bad time to be selling used Enduros!

I've had a lot of great moments on the Spur where I feel comfortable enough on the bike to ride at a higher level and do things I normally won't and some things I didn't know I could do. I can say the same for my Enduro though, but not that often and always in situations where I also fear for my life. With the Spur it's more like ripping a corner harder than I ever have or clearing a gap in the trail I never would have attempted before.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
@davec113 , your Spire show up yet?

Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. I am very interested to see if the EXT fits, supposedly it has very similar reservoir dimensions as the Float X2 so I'm hoping it works. There are a few PB guys running Storias on medium frames, just don't know if there is a difference between carbon and aluminum frames.

Lots of snow on the ground here means lots of time to get it together. (y)

1 - 20 of 307 Posts