Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spinner Grind 24" forks that came on my son's brand new Vitus Nucleus have been weeping some oil. Does this indicate something wrong from the factory? Something that might have gotten borked in transport? Normal for these forks? I've not experienced this with other forks.

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Was that your boy whose picture I just saw from Shaums camp in B-ham doing the drop? My kid did one curb drop on that fork/bike and we ordered a Suntour to replace it. One issue is the seals, a seal that is tight enough to keep the oil in will also limit the suppleness of the fork. Welcome to the world of kids suspension! :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd actually be less worried about the slight amount of oil coming out than the dirt getting in. You might want to do a earlier initial service to see if the oil looks very contaminated. In the meantime wipe off the stanchions regularly and keep the seals clean (spray silicone lube on stanchions, compress fork a few times, and wipe off the crud that comes up).

·
Registered
818 Posts
The spinner forks don't really have lower oil, just grease from the ones I have seen. Grease is basically oil held in some type of binder. The seals on Spinner forks aren't great to bad.

I'd say wipe off the grease. There will be some dirt getting pulled past the seals. It's quick and mostly painless to pull off the lowers and wipe the dirt out of the seals and add some new grease.

·
Registered
818 Posts
wipe off the grease every ride.

I just pulled the lowers off on son's bike. He's on a 20 inch. The seals were dirty. I put in some new grease and the fork felt the same. Kind of poopy. I think fresh grease and wiping the seals will mostly keep the stanchions from getting scratched. Not make the fork great.

I don't have a great suggestion. Every 10 rides. When it's time to change a tire. If you're adventurous you can teach your kid how to do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replying to my own thread here to leave this useful info from forum member StanfordRacer that I found on this thread about how to service these forks: https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/spinner-grind-air-fork-manual-1103902.html

This is an old thread, but I'll add some useful info since I came across this thread when looking for a Spinner Grind Air 24 manual. Spinner posted two very useful photo albums on their Facebook page:
HERE for how to do a "small service" on the 24" fork
HERE for how to do a more extensive service on a 20" fork. The 20" looks to be nearly identical to the 24", and some of the material is clearer in that album.

The 6mm allen bolt on the bottom of the air side can be difficult to remove. There's a discussion of it here with some good tips: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=173554

I had the same problem but followed a suggestion there and used a 6mm hex bit on a cordless impact driver, which was an easy and fast solution.

The 24" "small service" turned out to be a really easy job. Other than the hiccup getting the one bolt out, this is a very easy to work on fork.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replying to my own thread here to leave this useful info from forum member StanfordRacer that I found on this thread about how to service these forks: https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/spinner-grind-air-fork-manual-1103902.html
Glad that was helpful. I'll add the caveat that even after having done that service twice, including new o-rings, my son's fork is still leaking oil on the left (non-drive) side. I've gotten over it and just wipe it off after every ride. Fork still feels very smooth after 6 months of hard use, but only time will tell if it holds up to another year of my son and then a few years with my daughter after that.

BTW, the o-ring that is replaced in the Facebook small service is 14.5mm (inside diameter) x 3mm (thickness). Spinner replied to my email when I asked. I got a 10-pack on Amazon for about $7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.