Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so I called Spinner today, and apparantly, they are done with the US. Their message says something like "We have stopped US sales as of May 31, 2006." Too bad, I really wanted to try an Aeris out. I could contact Erik Cheng in Taiwan though I guess if I really want one.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,105 Posts
Wow, that was quick. They might have sold some if they got them in the stores. I'm not to upset, I just didn't feel like spending that kind of dough on a company that was completely un-proven. For once I didn't buy it anyway!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Probably some US patent holder that doesn't actually produce anything sued them over using a spool valve. Done with US sales doesn't mean done with sales of course.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
Wow, that was quick. They might have sold some if they got them in the stores. I'm not to upset, I just didn't feel like spending that kind of dough on a company that was completely un-proven. For once I didn't buy it anyway!
Spinner is not unproven. They have been making mtb forks for at least 15 years and make or use to make RockShox.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
They are unproven to me. Unproven on how readily available parts will be, tech support, resale value, everything. It's one thing to make stuff for others, another to do it yourself, build a brand, build consumer confidence, etc. I prefer companies that have their forks on racers - improvements come every year that way. If forks were $99, it wouldn't matter, but when we are talking over $600 retail, then I would choose to spend my money on the big 4...which for me has been only Manitou for the last 15 years, but I do have a 2007 Fox F80RLC on the way as I'm not too keen so far on my R7 Platinum. I do think Aeris had the right idea, make a true XC-only fork, one that is under 3 pounds, and looks cool to boot. RockShox is the only game in town for a 3 and under fork.

·
10,938 Posts
Spinner is a bigger fork maker than Rockshox could ever hope to be, which isn't really an unproven company. Rockshox doesn't support their own products beyond three model years COUNTING the existing model year. So if you buy a 2003 Rockshox, even new out of a store because its on sale / old stock, yer ****ed to get parts for it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Again, size of a company, how many forks made, whatever, that's not what I'm talking about. They just proved me right in not buying a $600 fork from them. For once I'm on this side of the fence.

·
Registered
751 Posts
DeeEight said:
Spinner is a bigger fork maker than Rockshox could ever hope to be, which isn't really an unproven company. Rockshox doesn't support their own products beyond three model years COUNTING the existing model year. So if you buy a 2003 Rockshox, even new out of a store because its on sale / old stock, yer ****ed to get parts for it.
just because you make forks for bikes at walmart doesn't mean you know what you're doing...

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Can anyone weigh in on why they pulled out of the US? Nino is usually all over anything Spinner related; where has he been lately anyway? I went to the website recently to get some info on the Aeris and the link to the Aeris was disabled.:skep: Something weird is going on. Maybe a consumer protection move by that agency? I was sceptical of this fork from the get go anyway after the reports of only 50mm of travel due to the special "top out bummer.":confused: The timing is ripe for an updated Fournales LF to hit the market again.:thumbsup: Size M please.

·
10,938 Posts
TrekFan said:
just because you make forks for bikes at walmart doesn't mean you know what you're doing...
They made rockshox's entire model line from the Boxxer World Cup to the Judy TT for the previous three full model years. Now do you need a prybar to extract your foot from your mouth or can you manage on your own ?

As to AndrewTO's question about a lawsuit, it may have occurred, but I doubt its from SRAM. More likely its a combination of the issues with US liability lawsuits often getting unreasonably high punitive damages and SRAM's annoucement they were going to another manufacturer next year for their forks (no doubt because Spinner's models were just too good a value to compete with... rockshox couldn't do a Aeris beating model cheaper than the factory they PAY to make their forks can make an Aeris, etc). Suntour makes Marzocchi's entire OEM line and the bottom third (price wise) of their aftermarket model line, but their own forks aren't marketted to compete with the higher end Marzocchi's, just the mid to lower tier ones. Spinner however was offering forks which directly competed with Rockshox's upper model forks, and SRAM obviously couldn't afford that sort of competition.

·
10,938 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
Again, size of a company, how many forks made, whatever, that's not what I'm talking about. They just proved me right in not buying a $600 fork from them. For once I'm on this side of the fence.
You haven't taken a good look at Manitou's parts support (or Rockshox's) lately have you? Only Marzocchi (of the brands still producing forks) can really lay claim to supporting models back to the mid-90s, and only Amp Research, which hasn't made ANY new bicycle products in like 5 years still supports stuff they made 15 years ago. Ever tried getting replacement elastomers for a mid-90s Manitou fork recently? Or getting replacement ANYTHING for a 2001 Rockshox Sid? I've got a 2003 Rockshox Duke which is now in need of a replacement rebound damper. Guess what? None available from either Rockshox or from the canadian distributor.

Only thing you've proven is that you're sitting on the fence with the other morons.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks for calling me a moron, very cool of you - what a manly man you must be. I have quit buying Manitou products after 15 years as well, since they started with the Asia production. Haven't like the Skareb or R7. I'm on to Fox for 2007 year forks.

·
10,938 Posts
Considering your criteria for "unproven" its quite appropriate to be calling you a moron. Coolness has nothing to do with it when you've failed to prove they're actually an unproven brand, especially compared to other major brands. A long time ago, Scott USA withdrew from sales in the USA. Does that mean they're an unproven brand also? Is the requirement of proof be that a company has to sell in america?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Proof? Are we in court? If a new product shows up on the market, a high-end product at that, from a company whose never marketed a product before, yes, to me that is unproven. If RockShox suddenly came out with a drivetrain, I wouldn't buy that either - after several years then maybe. I'm entitled to my opinion, and why people like you have to insult someone else still boggles my mind. Scott? Scott has been around for years, and are definitely NOT unproven. Did Spinner sell high-end suspension forks elsewhere in the world? Who cares. I only care about what is here in the U.S. - Manitou, Marzocchi, Rock Shox, now Fox, and I'll even throw White Bros. a bone because they've been around for quite a while now.

I'm done with this back and forth stuff - Spinner proved to me, and probably others, that it takes more than just throwing a fork on the market to survive. The end.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
I am sure Spinner pulled out for reasons unrelated to being able to engineer and produce a decent mountain bike fork (it's a mountain bike, not F1), probably a threatened lawsuit from somebody (Specialized is good at that). A legal hassle will sap cash quicker than R&D.

I remember reading in one of the mags (MBA?) that Fox was going after Spinner for their use of the Spul Valve. Fox was claiming infringement on their TerraLogic patents.

Maybe they won?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
In other words....

trekfan and curtlo thinks that unless a product is marketed in the US, it's "unproven"... Very US-centric thinking... As I sit here watching the TDF, I'm thinking that it's not a real race since it doesn't have a stage in the US... So many good products out there that are not marketed in the US for a variety of reasons (patent, legal liability, etc...)... Y'all maybe missing out.
BTW- I have a Spinner Aeris and it was a better product than my SID WC forks.

·
10,938 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
Proof? Are we in court? If a new product shows up on the market, a high-end product at that, from a company whose never marketed a product before, yes, to me that is unproven
What part of shiggy saying they've made forks for 15 years did you not understand? Spinner has marketed products for a LONG time. They've been a builder of OEM and Aftermarket forks for long enough to be considered proven.

If RockShox suddenly came out with a drivetrain, I wouldn't buy that either - after several years then maybe. I'm entitled to my opinion, and why people like you have to insult someone else still boggles my mind.
As Mr.Scary pointed out, SRAM started out as a shifter company, then added derailleurs, then TRIED to do V-brakes and Brake levers and gave up on those as well as their attempt at hubs, then bought out Sachs (which was a full drivetrain company), then bought out rockshox, then avid, and now the latest truvativ. However they don't have much in the way of american design staff/engineers anymore. Most of the engineering is done by the companies in the other countries which are actually making their products, which for rockshox was SPINNER since 2002. That motion-control damper... it was designed by spinner engineers, or did it not occur to you that it functions much like a spool valve.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.