Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new wheelset for my 08 Trance X2. I ride XC/trail and weigh 165.. I also try to ride everyday or every other day so want a durable and reliable wheel. I have two sets picked out that I think would be pretty good. The Xyclones have great reviews. The Havens seem like they would be pretty good also. But being a pretty new set I haven't read or found out much about them so i was wondering if anyone has a set and what they think about them. Which of the two wheelsets would yall put your money towards and why?
Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lando47 said:
I am looking to get a new wheelset for my 08 Trance X2. I ride XC/trail and weigh 165.. I also try to ride everyday or every other day so want a durable and reliable wheel. I have two sets picked out that I think would be pretty good. The Xyclones have great reviews. The Havens seem like they would be pretty good also. But being a pretty new set I haven't read or found out much about them so i was wondering if anyone has a set and what they think about them. Which of the two wheelsets would yall put your money towards and why?
Thanks
Xyclones, best wheel I have ever used. Had them for 4 years and have never had to true them. I am 260 lbs of lard and I can't hurt them. I had custom wheels on my 29er and had to constantly adjust them. The Xyclones have been bulletproof and I recommend them whenever I can.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,804 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the Spinergy wheels. I have been running a set of Enduros for about a year now. They are pretty bombproof.

I am probably in the minority when it comes to them staying true. I have had to true them twice in a year now. But, I am a heavier rider (230 lbs) and not the smoothest on a bike and I rode quite a lot, 4 - 6 times a week. On very rocky terrain. I beat on them pretty hard, and they hold up. I would get them again if I had it to do over. The hubs are top shelf.

The only drawback I have found with these wheels is that when it is time to true them up, the tires and rim strips have to come off, because you don't just turn the "nipple" on these to tighten the spokes. You have to hold the "nipple" and turn the spoke from the inside of the wheel. Not a big deal if you run tubes, but a bit of a hassle of you run them tubeless.

Oh and they do pretty well tubeless. I use Stan's Strips.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Have Both !

Lando47 said:
Thanks
I have had the Spinergy's for three seasons now, used them on a Kona Kikapu, then on a Gary Fisher HIFI and most recently on a Santa Cruz BlurLT....I may use them on my Nomad as I have the 20mm adapter! They are that strong. Only needed minor true over the past three seasons....I did upgrade the bearings to enduro ZERO - very nice.
The customer service is really good with Spinergy.

The Haven's I just got this past weekend and already I can tell you I wont be taking them off. They have a wide rim that is UST, and I run a 2bliss specialized tire with Stan's sealant. The bearings are flippin amazing smooth! They are light and strong!

Love the HAVEN's (more than the Spinergy's).

cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts