Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I think Dee-Maxes have sort of gone out with the whole bar-hump bender huck scene, and for good reason. If they're a good wheelset, it's because they look boss, and that's just about it. Don't get me wrong, the yellow wheels look totally sick, but for their steep price I would be expecting something a little more than a yellow 823 laced to a mediocre hub that's known to have problems.

I'd go for a 823 to Hadley. Cheaper and better.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
dowst said:
I think Dee-Maxes have sort of gone out with the whole bar-hump bender huck scene, and for good reason. If they're a good wheelset, it's because they look boss, and that's just about it. Don't get me wrong, the yellow wheels look totally sick, but for their steep price I would be expecting something a little more than a yellow 823 laced to a mediocre hub that's known to have problems.

I agree on the Hadley / 823 combo as that's my wheel of choice... But after seeing the NEW Deemax wheels, they aren't as bad an option for a pre-built anymore... They're lighter now and have better hub internals... (According to Mavic of course...;) )http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/mavic-2009-heavy-duty-dirt-wheels-get-lighter-17248 :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
dowst said:

Sorry but I still see tons of racers and hucksters rocking the deemax's old ones and new ones. They are in wide use and not slowing down from what I can see.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
I run Deemax's mainly because of parts availability.

You go to ANY MSC race, walk around the pits and ask if anyone has any Deemax pawls, freehub bodies, spokes, etc. and you are certain to find some. you ask for a hadley, hope, or I9 pawl set... good luck.

And let it be known that I personally have never NEEDED to do such parts inquiry, however a few of my racers have.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
FreerideMonkey7 said:
^^^ Yeah but they're not yellow, that was the only thing I liked about them, it made them unique.
not a fan of the yellow.....love the silver though.....and black is always good

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
ScaryJerry said:
New DeeMax is over a pound lighter than last years, and the engagement is allegedly over twice as fast. Seems like a good deal to me. Think about it, a whole POUND lighter?
a pound of rolling weight is insane....makes me think of getting a pair

·
Registered
592 Posts
^^^ The yellow only looks good on some bikes, not all , but if you want a yellow wheelset for your bike you cant really have one any more. The yellow made it special. The silver might attract more buyers, but it will also deter others.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
FreerideMonkey7 said:
^^^ The yellow only looks good on some bikes, not all , but if you want a yellow wheelset for your bike you cant really have one any more. The yellow made it special. The silver might attract more buyers, but it will also deter others.
I called Mavic today... they are considering coming out with yellow / silver color options for the new ones, as they have such a strong following of the timeless yellow color scheme.

That is NOT A GUARANTEE by any means, but something to keep pestering your mavic rep about if you want to keep seeing yellow rims.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.