Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is USE's quick release skewer. They claim 55g for their Ti non-bolt-on version. I think that the USE guys aren't big-fat-liars on weights, typically. You can see it at www.use1.com. Seems to go for about $80. Looks nice too. What do you guys know about it? Is it easy to use, is it strong, what does it weigh on your scale...?

Thanks.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Jesseg said:
This is USE's quick release skewer. They claim 55g for their Ti non-bolt-on version. I think that the USE guys aren't big-fat-liars on weights, typically. You can see it at www.use1.com. Seems to go for about $80. Looks nice too. What do you guys know about it? Is it easy to use, is it strong, what does it weigh on your scale...?

Thanks.
I have the Ti version and I think those go about 55g. I run them on my SS 29er. They are great. My only complaint is the somewhat sharp corners on the levers that bite into my hand when I cinch em down. But, this might be a good thing too in that it keeps me from over tightening them to the point where I strip out the nut. No problems with slippage at all. It makes for a very secure rear wheel w/the horizontal Paul's dropouts running SS.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had some Spin Stix a while back and although I do like the idea behind them I didn't like the fact that the non-lever side would twist when attempting to tighten them. No matter how hard I held the non-lever side it would still 'spin'. Is this by design or am I the only one who's experienced this?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
jakeplazma said:
I had some Spin Stix a while back and although I do like the idea behind them I didn't like the fact that the non-lever side would twist when attempting to tighten them. No matter how hard I held the non-lever side it would still 'spin'. Is this by design or am I the only one who's experienced this?
My don't spin. Do you have chromed drop outs? It's hard to get a bite on the hard chrome.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Ti version are my skewers of choice. They are extremely stiff for any skewer, despite the fact that they are made of titanium. Very light and easy to use. Yes, you might get the spinning if you have polished aluminum dropouts as I experienced on my polished Racer X when I had it. Not enough of a deterrent to stop me from using them though. Make sure you specify the correct setup when ordering (mountain or road for correct rear axle spacing).

I also have Salsa skewers, Control Tech bolt-ons, American Classic skewers and some Formula skewers. The SpinStix and the Salsas are my favorites.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's great to get this feedback. That they are doing well even with horizontal dropouts seems like a particularly good sign. I guess I've been a bit shy to go titanium at all because I've got King hubs, and King doesn't like you to use Ti with suspension. I've got a hardtail anyway, but for the front. Then I got to thinking, the extra stress of disc brakes (which I don't have) seems like a much more significant issue than suspension. And bodyweight has to be a factor, which King also doesn't mention (I'm not very heavy at 167). (Running low tire pressures, which I do, has to help as well.) So I'm not sure that it makes sense to follow their rules, which don't make sense. In any case, I'm sure they're not talking about catastrophic hub failure, but just quicker wear--which would be an awful shame with their rear hub, but palatable with their front.

That's what I'm thinking anyway. If anyone wants to comfort me or otherwise, I'll listen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's great to get this feedback. That they are doing well even with horizontal dropouts seems like a particularly good sign. I guess I've been a bit shy to go titanium at all because I've got King hubs, and King doesn't like you to use Ti with suspension. I've got a hardtail anyway, but for the front. Then I got to thinking, the extra stress of disc brakes (which I don't have) seems like a much more significant issue than suspension. And bodyweight has to be a factor, which King also doesn't mention (I'm not very heavy at 167). (Running low tire pressures, which I do, has to help as well.) So I'm not sure that it makes sense to follow their rules, which don't make sense. In any case, I'm sure they're not talking about catastrophic hub failure, but just quicker wear--which would be an awful shame with their rear hub, but palatable with their front.

That's what I'm thinking anyway. If anyone wants to comfort me or otherwise, I'll listen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.