Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
And if not, why not?
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me an accurate frame weight comparison on the intense spider and santa cruz blur xc? Any other feedback on their respective performance would be cool too. Thank's everybody.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I've weighed numerous Blur XC's - XS through Lrg, both Ano & Powdercoated, all with RP3's. The Smaller Ano frames have been just under 5 pounds to 5 pounds even, the Med & Lrg frames have been 5 pounds even to just over 5 pounds. The Powdercoated frames have been consistently 1/2 a pound heavier.
Performance wise - Geared for the racer totally. Long low front, Short rear, and built to utilize a 100mm fork.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The Spider should be a heavier bike. If you compare them side by side you can tell the Spider is clearly a more overbuilt bike. Spider weights will vary because in about mid 2004 they switched to larger bearings on the bottom (same size as 5.5) and the same swingarm as the 5.5. The older model Spiders are around 5.5lbs for a polished medium and about 5.8 for powdercoated medium. The heaviest model is the large powdercoated which is 6 lbs.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Spin Cycle said:
does just over equal .25 lbs ? .5 lbs ?? do you have actual weights say maybe in grams
are just over / under bathroom scale weights??? just wondering !
- All weighed on the same hanging scale at the LBS I wrench at p/t.
4.9 would be the lightest Ano XC I've seen for a XS.
5.2 the heaviest Ano Lrg.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hecubus said:
The Spider should be a heavier bike. If you compare them side by side you can tell the Spider is clearly a more overbuilt bike. Spider weights will vary because in about mid 2004 they switched to larger bearings on the bottom (same size as 5.5) and the same swingarm as the 5.5. The older model Spiders are around 5.5lbs for a polished medium and about 5.8 for powdercoated medium. The heaviest model is the large powdercoated which is 6 lbs.
thats w/o shock right?

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
don't beleive the weights

SC website says 5.2lb, which I also don't beleive. There is just no way that frame with all those pivots and links could come in at sub 5.0lb. A hanging spring scale is just not accurate - maybe some 40lb downhill bikes have been hanging on there and stretched out the spring.

Anyway, I would definitely lean towards the Intense because the the BB area is stiffer than the Blur.

DMFT said:
I've weighed numerous Blur XC's - XS through Lrg, both Ano & Powdercoated, all with RP3's. The Smaller Ano frames have been just under 5 pounds to 5 pounds even, the Med & Lrg frames have been 5 pounds even to just over 5 pounds. The Powdercoated frames have been consistently 1/2 a pound heavier.
Performance wise - Geared for the racer totally. Long low front, Short rear, and built to utilize a 100mm fork.

·
And if not, why not?
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so now that i've started all this, What about the yeti asr sl? I'm coming from a hardtail xc racer perspective, but I ride a lot of nasty, rocky, rooty stuff out here in the north east, And I'm thinking about building a 23-24lb racer that is just a little more versitile than my alum. HT arse breaker. I avoided fs until now because of the weight and dreaded bob, but the new frames and shocks seem to have caught up to my expectations, I want to be faster in the rough stuff and save my energy for the distance, but I need something light, responsive, and EFFICIENT. I'm looking around and hearing a lot of good stuff @ the yeti. The bottom line is; Do I need VPP, or do the new shocks make it a moot point?

·
Registered
770 Posts
guava said:
Okay, so now that i've started all this, What about the yeti asr sl? I'm coming from a hardtail xc racer perspective, but I ride a lot of nasty, rocky, rooty stuff out here in the north east, And I'm thinking about building a 23-24lb racer that is just a little more versitile than my alum. HT arse breaker. I avoided fs until now because of the weight and dreaded bob, but the new frames and shocks seem to have caught up to my expectations, I want to be faster in the rough stuff and save my energy for the distance, but I need something light, responsive, and EFFICIENT. I'm looking around and hearing a lot of good stuff @ the yeti. The bottom line is; Do I need VPP, or do the new shocks make it a moot point?
I owned a racer-x 3 years ago...a 2003 intense spider, a 2005 intense spider and I'm now riding a 2005 asr-sl.
The Racer-x is a great bike...can't go wrong with it. The yeti to me "felt" more comfortable and so far is proving to be quite a singletrack machine. I too was concerned about the bob with the yeti, but after riding a few days on it I'm not worried about it. I was riding a dean softtail w/lockout that I was really enjoying and I thought it was more effiecient, but...it's not.

The intense spider is a great bike, don't get me wrong....I just had issues w/the 2003 model, finally broke the frame then they sent me out a 2005 model. The 2005 I didn't have issues with. The spider rides great just has quirks to it....and the rear end IMHO does not feel stiff and it kind of felt heavy in the rear.

And as far as the spider weighing 5.5 lbs well......I never saw that. I had a large frame and it was over 6 w/o shock. So throw a shock on there and you'll be closer to 7.

The spider was just too complicated, too questionable, and too flashy w/those graphics for me. And that damn head badge came off when I pulled it out of the box.....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Intense is working hard on a 29" Spider to be released soon. Maybe you won't have to worry about weight too much with that option, as it will be faster anyway. The Intense boys seem to like it in the plus size :)

·
And if not, why not?
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks H

That was kind of what I was looking for. I've been a hardtail holdout because of weight and bob, but I think I want to jump this year. The new yeti is expensive, but It's super light ,and the geometry is perfect for me- long and low! Everyone hates riding my bike because it is so stretched out and it's only a 17". Does anyone else have anything to say about the whole efficiecy issue? I was on wrench science, and figured out that I could build one to 22.7lbs without even looking at ti bolts or stans rotors. That's light enough for me.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
A couple of points.

Single Pivots are nice, especially since the coming of Platform Shocks.
A Single Pivot though will never be as stiff. In my opinion, it will never be as efficient either.
A linkage bike like a Spider, Blur, or Turner will require a little more maintenance.

I also wouldn't trust an online weight calculator from a bike company or mail order shop, you're just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Above all : testride the bikes you are interested in if you can and buy what fits you the best.

Enjoy! :)

·
And if not, why not?
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even weight weenie lists the older asr sl's as beeing lighter than any of the other three, every year, and now it has carbon stays and a new ti bolt kit. The asr also has some features, similar to the racer x, that shoul stiffen it up laterally, compared to other single pivots. I think the most important thing about any bike though, is geometry and fit. The yeti has the right numbers for my fused-spine, apelike proportioned carcass and riding position. I run a 120 stem and my seat hangs off the back of an offset seatpost on a 17" HT, and I have a 30" inseam.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
ASR-SL vs. Blur

I have a 1 year old ASR and a 3 year old Blur. The Blur is a very good bike. It doesn't feel that great in the parking lot or at slow speed especially over rough twisty terrain, but out on the trail it really comes into it's own. Built up really light I think it can make a very good race bike. A major downside of the Blur is all those bearings - I swear the rebuild kit (of which I used 2) weighs 1lb alone.

The Yeti is just better in every way and especially for racing. My size large frame/shock/seatpost clamp (as delivered from Yeti) weighs 2442g (5.38lb) - measured on a nice digital scale. The Yeti climbs very well, and then holy crap does it ever descend. I have this image burned into my memory descending at the 24hr race at Hurkey Creek - beyond words in the zone transcendence. It was the highlight of 2005.

guava said:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Motivated said:
SC website says 5.2lb, which I also don't beleive. There is just no way that frame with all those pivots and links could come in at sub 5.0lb. A hanging spring scale is just not accurate - maybe some 40lb downhill bikes have been hanging on there and stretched out the spring.

Anyway, I would definitely lean towards the Intense because the the BB area is stiffer than the Blur.
My med sized ano blur xc weighed 5.2lbs on an electronic postage scale.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
preparation_h said:
thats w/o shock right?
Thats with the shock. I don't know where you get that the spider is nearly 7 lbs with a shock, thats nowhere near correct. Not even a 5.5 EVP with the heavier 4 way Swinger weighs that much. I verified my large 2003 with a custom thicker powder job and w/RP3 to be right on the 6lb mark. With the factory powder coat it was slightly under that. The 5.5 pound weight is for a medium POLISHED frame. The powder coating can add up 150g-250g more to the weight.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
what were the weights for a large Blur XC? 5.2? Is that correct?

I saw on the titus forum people weighing their new '06 RX at 5.6 lbs. It looks like the Blur XC is lighter?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts