Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a UST tire - what is the best in front in 2.25 or 2.3. This is actually similar to another thread, so apologies for this sneaky way of getting more feedback.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Shorts said:
What type of terrain? What do you mean by "best"? Braking?, Cornering?, rolling?
terrain very varied, but I really don't care how it performs on hardpack, or on sand. Rolling resistance is important, weight less so; but what really matters is grip - and it needs to be good on the rocks and in the loose, and I want to be able to drive it hard into corners; conditions dry. By "best", I mean all those things you mention, although obviously realising that one tire might be "better" in one department but not the "best" in another department. I am also open to other suggestions, it's just that these three are on my shortlist right now. Thanks for any input you have.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
spotlust said:
terrain very varied, but I really don't care how it performs on hardpack, or on sand. Rolling resistance is important, weight less so; but what really matters is grip - and it needs to be good on the rocks and in the loose, and I want to be able to drive it hard into corners; conditions dry. By "best", I mean all those things you mention, although obviously realising that one tire might be "better" in one department but not the "best" in another department. I am also open to other suggestions, it's just that these three are on my shortlist right now. Thanks for any input you have.
I haven't used the NBX, but I do use both the Spider 2.3 and the Sturdy 2.25.

The Sturdy is a better back tire than front, but it still makes for a decent front tire. It's better in the loose stuff than the Spider.

The Spider rolls far better, but the knobs are not very large, so it's not as good in the loose stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wouldn't Recommend the Spyder

Just to confirm what you've heard here and in the other thread, I don't particularly think the Hutch Spyder UST 2.3 is all that it's hyped to be. I was excited to try them based on some feedback in these forums but was very disappointed with the performance. They roll extremely fast...scary fast. Cornering is marginal at best, especially at higher speeds (20 to 30 mph). The tread width measures 2.14" and the casing is like a balloon. Adds an inch of travel. Climbing traction and braking are okay. Durability seems good. After six hard rides I don't see any chunking of the rear knobs. Not good in the loose stuff. All in all...not a very good all mountain type tire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheech said:
Just to confirm what you've heard here and in the other thread, I don't particularly think the Hutch Spyder UST 2.3 is all that it's hyped to be. I was excited to try them based on some feedback in these forums but was very disappointed with the performance. They roll extremely fast...scary fast. Cornering is marginal at best, especially at higher speeds (20 to 30 mph). The tread width measures 2.14" and the casing is like a balloon. Adds an inch of travel. Climbing traction and braking are okay. Durability seems good. After six hard rides I don't see any chunking of the rear knobs. Not good in the loose stuff. All in all...not a very good all mountain type tire.
Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried other 2.3's which are better in the corners and in the loose?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Million Dollar Question...

I too am looking for a UST 2.3 at 800g or less. I haven't gotten very far into my quest though.

I run a pair of Specialized 2.0 Adrenaline 2Bliss on a different bike. They measure out at a full 2.2 and weigh slightly more than the 800g number I'm trying to stay under. They perform adequately. Better than the Spiders. Got them because my lbs said if I didn't like em they'd swap them out for free.

I also tried Kenda Kinetics 2.2 UST's. They tip the scale in the high 800's. The rear was a total loss. Out of 7 rides I had shale puntures on 3. Kenda says it's because I ran Stan's in the tire. They say that Stan's has a substance in it that deteriorates the tire.

Have you looked into Bontrager Jones ACX's? 2.2 UST at 760g. Or there is the Tubeless Ready version which has a tubeless bead with a nomal casing. You fill it with Bontrager's sealant. 2.2 at 650g.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.