Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More mods!!

So I have a White Brothers 130 to play with and test. The most natural bike to put it on first is the Spider 29. Some folks have a problem with the steering quickness or having he feeling of being over the front tire.





I never had a problem with it hey let's give it a go and this bike will be ready for steeper and rougher terrain.

So the new parts are:
- White Brothers Fluid 130
- I9 thru axle front wheel
- 80 mm Thomson stem and Niner flat bar
- Ergon grips.
- Mikesee DT lightweight rear wheel with Bontrager Jones XR.







One long ride so far. Man, the fork is awesome!! With no break-in it's very supple. It goes through the travel pretty nicely. Feels like a Fox 140! Steering is spot on too. One ride and it feels so good I was looking for the obstacles!

The 72.5 head angle of the bike (100mm fork) was neutralized! Maybe 71.5? The bike handled awesome. The head angle turned into a non-issue. The bike was easy to bomb down on and was still plenty quick. The 80mm stem got my weight off the front too.

It's easy to say that this bike is probably the most 130mm fork ready (with regards to head angle).

The Ergon grips are awesome! They don't have the big palm rest but they take the shape of your hands well. Also, there's no downsides to climbing and descending unlike the big Ergon.

The lightweight Mikesee rear wheel enabled this bike to come in at 28.04 lbs. Climbing with this bike was a happy happy joy joy.

Part 2:
The Niner RIP9 for our demo was deemed slow and heavy by some. I figured our trails are too tame. But also, quick little tweaks can solve this.



- first the rear suspension rebound seemed excessively slow. I lubed all the pivots and the frame was set free!

- Next I put in a Mikesee wheelset that was light yet beefy. Also, I put a Nanoraptor in the back and a Wierwolf LT in the front. The Rampage front and back were a bit much for current tacky trail conditions.

- Finally, I cut down the 28 inch flat bar to 27 inch. Ahh, better.
fc

p.s. next up, Maverick DUC32 fork and a bunch of tires
 

Attachments

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
Yee haw! That is what I'm tawkin' about! Yes, yes yes.

These 29er FS bikes are on my list, but decisons on forks is tough. Thank you!

You gonna try the WB 130 on the RIP as well? Please!? :D

And I hope the DUC32 gets a tryout on both sussers as well! Woo Hoo. This is good schtuff, thank you. :yesnod: :arf: :ihih:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,237 Posts
Steering

Francois,

Good idea on the bars and stem:thumbsup:

By using just the Niner flat bar it will slow down the steering (wider than most bars. It would be nice to see how you like it with the Reba, stem and bar. Negative rise stems with riser bars give me the willys.

Great job!
 

·
highly visible
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
Cool idea mounting the 130 to the Spider, whose geometry seems to have been screaming for longer travel to tone the handling down a bit. Should make for a killer XC bike in technical terrain. And lofting that front end will get that 74* STA (a common problem on FS 29"ers) back into a more usable range for a lot of riders.
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ERGON said:
FYI....
The Ergon Enduro's are installed backwards. The alumn. clamp goes on the outside part of the bar.
Darn. Good to know.

I had it installed the right way on another bike and I had a hard time with it. It seems the big aluminum end was in the way of my pinky finger.

I was pretty happy with them reversed but I'll give it another go the right way.

fc
 

Attachments

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Francois,

Great to hear it came together, when you showed me the fork on the Spider it looked like a nice match, especially now you get more travel :D

Waiting on the DUC and the RIP 9, should be an interesting look!

Ryan
 

·
i heart singletrack
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Nice... Thanks for the update. I'm talking to Mikesee about getting a WB fork for my Spider, if it ever comes... found out yesterday that it might be March now before it gets here. So much for a new bike for Christmas, 'eh?

Oh well, at least I won't muck it up in the messy early season we always have around here.

Are you going to try the DUC on the Spider as well? I'd be very interested in seeing how that worked for you, compared to the performance of the Fluid 130. Keep us posted please.

Thanks again!!

Cheers,
MG
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MMcG said:
What's up with the top cap on the Specialized? Is that just some sort of cover?
Ha, good eye! I ran out of star nuts so I had to use my freaky-deaky Easton stem tensioner. It's designed for carbon steer tubes and it doesn't use a star nut.

Any roadies in the house use that? It's pretty crazy. It's two rings together that expand as you turn a screw. So you lock the stem on the steer tube and expand the rings to apply the tension. So there's a hole on top and they supply a dust cover. Or for weight weenies... save a gram and go nekid.

fc
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
francois said:
Ha, good eye! I ran out of star nuts so I had to use my freaky-deaky Easton stem tensioner. It's designed for carbon steer tubes and it doesn't use a star nut.

Any roadies in the house use that? It's pretty crazy. It's two rings together that expand as you turn a screw. So you lock the stem on the steer tube and expand the rings to apply the tension. So there's a hole on top and they supply a dust cover. Or for weight weenies... save a gram and go nekid.

fc
Wow you are fast with the responses. I didn't even get a chance to edit my post to correct my typing of Specialized instead of Intense!

I had Specialized Tires on the brain at the time and I just ended up typing it instead of Intense.
 

·
ali'i hua
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
MMcG said:
Wow you are fast with the responses. I didn't even get a chance to edit my post to correct my typing of Specialized instead of Intense!

I had Specialized Tires on the brain at the time and I just ended up typing it instead of Intense.
well, this is considered "work" for Francis!
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SlowSSer said:
well, this is considered "work" for Francis!
You know it's hard out there for a pimp... sung to the tune

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0009OL7W2001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/102-6457914-8244942">

(click)

fc
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DeeZee said:
Francois,

Good idea on the bars and stem:thumbsup:

By using just the Niner flat bar it will slow down the steering (wider than most bars. It would be nice to see how you like it with the Reba, stem and bar. Negative rise stems with riser bars give me the willys.

Great job!
Good point man. Will do.

Now a riser bar and reversed stem... is there really a difference to a flat bar? I know it looks like a funky chicken. But I'm not sure there's a difference in feel (if same width, rise, sweep).

fc
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
mgersib said:
Nice... Thanks for the update. I'm talking to Mikesee about getting a WB fork for my Spider, if it ever comes... found out yesterday that it might be March now before it gets here. So much for a new bike for Christmas, 'eh?

Oh well, at least I won't muck it up in the messy early season we always have around here.

Are you going to try the DUC on the Spider as well? I'd be very interested in seeing how that worked for you, compared to the performance of the Fluid 130. Keep us posted please.

Thanks again!!

Cheers,
MG
DUC this, DUC that. I opened the box and I got scared. It looks like I'm in over my head. There's some fancy stuff going on in here.

Mikesee, I need a wheel around this hub.

Like all fools that get check out a new fork. I bounced around the floor a lot with this fork. It feels awshum!

4.6 lbs in the last photo.

fc
 

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Padre said:
Why the tall crown race on the 130?
Another sharp eye. Two reasons:
- The fork won't clear the downtube (like the Reba). Just barely. But in this case, the sharp fork leg will probably crush the frame in a collision.

- also, I don't have a race for that FSA headset. (looks like the spacer is the race).

We'll ask Mr. Intense about this. I might have a pre-production frame.

fc
 

Attachments

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Don't forget to call i9 for a 24mm axle (provided one of your i9 wheels isn't the lightweight hub).

What's the AC on the 130 fork?

Is the DUC prepped for a 29 wheel? I'd hate to see you endo and lose some teeth as the tire hits the crown. I'm sure you already spec'd this small detail.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
It is encouraging to see Turner read this post. :)
So cool, and wish all the mfgs would do it (spec and fox...). I love the momentum and R&D that the 29er movement is enjoying right now.
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
rensho said:
Don't forget to call i9 for a 24mm axle (provided one of your i9 wheels isn't the lightweight hub).

What's the AC on the 130 fork?

Is the DUC prepped for a 29 wheel? I'd hate to see you endo and lose some teeth as the tire hits the crown. I'm sure you already spec'd this small detail.
The I9 wheel thru-axle wheel isn't mine. It's 7HVN's and he wants it back.

DUC for 29... ah yes. I should confirm that before I hit the huckster jumps.

So as I understand it, the DUC32 is a 150mm travel fork. What is the travel after the 29er conversion?

fc
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top