Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Spider which came with a 5th Element. I wanted the Fox RP3, but it was not available. I started off using the shock settings based on suggestions here....80 IFP -110 MAIN. However, when I rode the bike it wallowed in its travel and sent me flying a few times. I increased the MAIN to 125 and it feels much more responsive, based on a riding-buddy who has 5.5 with the MAIN set at 135.

The spider with the higher MAIN setting is great going downhill, but riding uphill and small bumps it is really harsh. What direction should I go next with either the MAIN or IFP?

Furthermore, in all settings I do not get much sag (if any) unless I jump up and down...is this because the shock is new? Is there a break-in period?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
almost there

There is a break-in with any air shock, approx. 20 hours. I'm not sure how much you weigh, but I think your a little high on the IFP pressure. I would try maybe 60 psi and see if that offers more compliance. The IFP chamber is used to reduce suspension movement caused by pedaling. The downside is if set too high it can reduce small bump sensitivity. I have a 5.5 with a manitou swinger and I weight around 195. I have the IFP set between 70 and 75psi, and the main set at 180 to 185 psi. Hope this helps.
Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 180. The 5th on my spider is set up with 100 psi in the main chamber and 70 in the IFP. I adjust the rebound according to where I'm riding. If it's fast XC trails the rebound is 1.5 turns ccw from bottomed out cw. If it's more technical (drops and lips) it's 3 turns ccw from bottomed out cw to soften hits. I've never had a wallowing problem like you're describing on a trail. Riding on a road it feels mushy until I screw in the rebound knob all the way.

Sag is tough to measure. When you hop on your bike the hop causes some extra travel. At 170 pounds you want about 85-90 psi in the main chamber. 135 is too much, even descending.

Are your tires causing the wallowing feeling?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I couldnt ride last night, but I will try this on the trail this evening. I lowered the IFP to 60psi and will see how that goes. Next I will drop the MAIN to 100 and the IFP to 70 and the rebound.

I think I had my rebound was set wrong. FYI I had the rebound set about 1.5 turns CW from bottomed out CCW. Just to be clear 1.5 turns CW from the knob all the way out.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think the sag is VPP's optimum point. Running little sag will make the suspension perform like crap. Your main IFP pressure is too high. Start around 100psi. Set the IFP pressure to about 60psi. The 5th element is a rather harsh shock on the spider no matter how you set it up. You really will need to get an RP3 and run it in the lowest platform setting or get an older non-propedal AVA to have the best suspension performance. I have ridden both setups extensively for the last two years.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the recommended sag?

What is the recommended sag?

Last night's ride was too fast, so I did not have opportunities to tinker with the shock. I did lower the IFP to 70 psi and it made the bike handle better at lower speeds.

It is amazing how subtle changes in the shock setting can effect the handling of the bike. I am broke at the moment, but if the RP3 makes the bike handle better. I will look into one of these shocks.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.