Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built up an 08 Intense Spider 29er. The XTR 970 front derailleur I installed contacts the back of the swing arm which binds it up and keeps it from shifting back to the small ring. Problem is not cage travel, it does not hit the side of the swing arm and will return to the small ring if you push it by hand but, the spring is not strong enough by itself to return the derailleur because it is rubbing. I don't want to grind on a new derailleur (or my frame) to make it clear. Intense customer service suggested I try an older Shimano 950/952 or 750/752 since those have a narrower pivot design and are not as long front to back but, they are hard to find, even on Ebay.

I am wondering what other Spider 29er owners are using for front derailleurs? Which new models fit? Anyone try a SRAM X-9? The new X-9, low clamp looks like it would fit but the cable pull seems to cross the seat tube. Anybody who has tried it know if the cable will rub the seat tube?

I just want to ride my new bike!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try LX

I'm using a 2008 LX FD, just had to grind a little off the black plastic on the back side. I'd say ebay the XTR and try the LX or XT--they are much cheaper and experimenting with a file is easier on the stress level!

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
What you really want is the Shimano M570 LX front derailleur, or a Shimano M750 XT FD. The older style without the protruding limit screw assembly.

I've got an old one on my Spider 29 and have clearance to spare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I hate the thought of putting an LX on my first bling bike ever. I will look for an XT and can the X-9 idea. Anyone want to buy a new 970 used on the workstand only?... cheap! LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.