Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'4 with pathologically long legs. My wife took some photo's of me on my 26inch bike the other day and, frankly, I look like an idiot.
So, I'm going to do this 29er thing! I have been riding a SC BlurLT for the last year and I really like the VPP suspension (no problems, by the way).
I like the look of the Intense Spider 29, but am a little concerned about the steep HTA. I am not the most gifted on steep technical sections, but improving rapidly.
I was thinking of putting on a Fox 120mm to slacken the angle a bit. On the other hand, I believe the increased offset will decrease the trail.
Firstly, I don't know what the offset is on these forks - nothing on the Fox website. Is it the same as the ones on the GF bikes? And if so which of the above 2 factors is going to have the greatest effect?
I was hoping for a slightly less "twitchy" bike. Has anyone worked this out, or tried it?
By the way I live in South Africa, where most people haven't even heard of 29ers. There is no way I will be able to test-ride one.
Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am running mine w/ a 100mm F29 and ride a lot of rocky/rooty/technical trails w/ some "get behind the saddle" drops and don't feel the steep head angle is a problem.
I am 6'4" as well and I am on an XL frame w/ a 100mm stem, and 25mm offset seatpost. This really has me positioned in the middle of the bike.
I would think coming from a 26er to a properly sized 29er would really help your confidence on the steep technical trails ALOT!
If you are still worried about the steeper HA, Chris King makes a spacer you can place between the bottom of your headset and top of your fork, that would slacken the HA a little bit w/o "choppering" the front end as much as a 120mm fork.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
the F29 120mm fork is 44mm offset (G2 forks are 51mm but I don't think the 120 comes on a G2 platform from Fisher yet....)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Kenai. That's reassuring. I have a 100, 120, 140 Talas at the moment on my Santa Cruz. I use the 140mm setting quite a bit, so I am still tempted to go for the 120mm. The lower offset is good news, too. I do mainly multiple stage races with long days in the saddle, and you ain't going to find me anywhere near the podium! Comfort is more important to me than speed or weight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 6'4'', 200lbs and drive a Spider29 in large, since last July (>2000miles).

RS Reba 100mm, 110mm 0° Stem, 6° Flatbar, seatpost with 25mm offset.

I would prefer a 120mm (or even better: 100-140mm adjustable) fork. I'm sure, the Spider29 frame with the 100mm VPP at the rear would benefit from the additional travel (and the slacken HA).

·
Registered
774 Posts
I ran a DUC32 on mine (XL frame) and it was perfectly matched for the geo. Handling was still very quick but not twitchy. The offset of the DUC is around 44mm (518 a-c), so it should be comparable with the Fox 120.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also ride a Spider 29 w/Fox 100mm fork. I'm 6ft 1 and find 29ers the PERFECT fit for me. If I had it to do over again I would DEFINITELY have gotten the 120mm fork instead. The head angle is a little drastic for steep sections. I really think the increased travel would greatly benefit the frame.

I have come across a lower crown race (spacer) that is made by Ventana and sold by Competitive Cyclist. If you look on their website in the components/small parts section you will find the two sizes available (4mm and 7mm). They have told me that it will slacken the head angle by about .3 degrees. Instead of getting a brand new fork I may try this first.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
in order to retain HT and ST angles

So if thats based on a 500 to 505mm AC length then a 520mm may be a bit long. The frame may also not be gussetted for such as long fork.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
jrm said:
So if thats based on a 500 to 505mm AC length then a 520mm may be a bit long. The frame may also not be gussetted for such as long fork.

Notice the taller crown race on this pic from the 29er FS shootout link to the right of the page - IIRC, the Reba was already pretty tall, taller than the Fox so I don't think there would be any issue with the 120mm F29. HT looks fairly strong, IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.