Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I showed up to Pisgah with only one ride the day before in VA during the drive down with intentions of riding the crap out of it and seeing what this 29er buzz was all about. And that I did.

I immediately noticed the increased traction for grinding up steep hills. The off-camber roots that plagued me the previous times down there were at first carefully ridden over then once I realized they caused no problems I didn't even give them a thought. In summary, I could go a lot faster.

Pisgah is probably not the ideal place for a rigid fork and I highly doubt I'll ride there again with one but it wasn't THAT bad. It definitely gave me some serious jarring on the longer descents like black mountain or rocky ones like pilot rock off laurel mountain. pilot rock actually gave me some blood blisters on my palms right below my fingers. they felt like they were on fire. I suppose I could've gone slower but that's really really hard for me to do!

The Spicer frame is great and I have no regrets saving a lot of money and going with him. Highly recommended.

The Jones bar is awesome. I immediately liked the new angle they offer and soon found myself using multiple positions on the bars without even thinking. If you are in the market for one I would get the curved version or at the very least the straight extension version. I found myself using the extensions with my hands lazily placed against the brake reservoir on fireroad climbs, and people with me noted I looked more comfortable than them.

The ignitor in the rear with the exiwolf in the front seemed to be a great combo. I didn't really give the ignitor front much chance but will probably put it back on to see how it handles since I know the feel of the exiwolf now. I was using specialized turbo 26" tubes and they seemed to work perfectly fine. They stretched easier than the wtb 26" tubes I also had with me.

also, fwiw, I found the formula b4 pro disc brakes to perform MUCH better than the Magura Marta SL. they never pumped up at the lever and the pads didn't grind down on the very long descents like the marta's always did. also, in poor conditions the lever blade peformed exactly as it did in dry conditions - something the magura's definitely never did. They were not totally silent like the Maguras.

and finally...a pic from the road cruise up the hill after bombing down Kitsuma.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 

· try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,096 Posts
sounds like a great time!
your old front disc wheel (26) was mounted last weekend. my buddy floated me an old disc caliper. doesnt fit on the roof rack anymore! i will get getting out the hacksaw (to cut the rack, of course...)
thanks again.
tomorrow is first ride with the front disc...
 

· Cold. Blue. Steel.
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
confirmed: Spicer is Sweet!

well, i never did get to ride with Spooky and the gang due to weather and then work. sheesh- i have gotten so mature these days, lol. actually, i need to pay for this bad habit, and i don't think i have an old, rich uncle, so... ;)

what i can say is that this bike is incredible. Gene's build coupled with Walt's fork makes one drool-worthy ride. the H-bar is certainly the frosting on the cake.

glad to know you enjoyed your bike so much that you blistered your hands! now i am dying to get my Waltworks... soon, young man, soon... :D
 

· zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appleSSeed said:
more pics, more pics :)

I like the color combo
The original shot of what you see is actually 2.25mb and shows off the build quite nicely. For now that is all I have since I wasn't taking any pictures. The rest will be compiled from the group and placed on a cd. I'll do a more comprehensive write-up then.

I could email the original to anyone if you want to see. It shows enough detail to see which brand of cog I'm using.
 

· zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OneGearGuy said:
well, i never did get to ride with Spooky and the gang due to weather and then work. sheesh- i have gotten so mature these days, lol. actually, i need to pay for this bad habit, and i don't think i have an old, rich uncle, so... ;)

what i can say is that this bike is incredible. Gene's build coupled with Walt's fork makes one drool-worthy ride. the H-bar is certainly the frosting on the cake.

glad to know you enjoyed your bike so much that you blistered your hands! now i am dying to get my Waltworks... soon, young man, soon... :D
Well, at least you got the naked women hot tub night - that was probably more fun than a ride anyways!:)
 

· Cold. Blue. Steel.
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
true indeed.

Spookykinkajou said:
Well, at least you got the naked women hot tub night - that was probably more fun than a ride anyways!:)
if ever there was a reason for me to save up and get lasik surgery on my half blind eyeballs... :p

i tell ya'- that was a fun evening. the rest of this forum should be jealous, but i'd be lying if i said i can remember many details. no glasses + steam + beer in hot tub = great times x bad memories. :D

of course, i think your foot kept popping up for a "foot massage" more than the ladies. hahahahahaha.

the heck with the bike pics; we needed a hot tub video. :eek:
 

· zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OneGearGuy said:
if ever there was a reason for me to save up and get lasik surgery on my half blind eyeballs... :p

i tell ya'- that was a fun evening. the rest of this forum should be jealous, but i'd be lying if i said i can remember many details. no glasses + steam + beer in hot tub = great times x bad memories. :D

of course, i think your foot kept popping up for a "foot massage" more than the ladies. hahahahahaha.

the heck with the bike pics; we needed a hot tub video. :eek:
A very fuzzy night, indeed.

I think I shut down about half-way through the tub experience and mildly recall getting dumped on by rain and eating a lot of Nilla wafers. Luc left the tequila dispensing bottle at my apt claiming numerous cleanings had been unable to remove the alcoholic taste.
 

· Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
13,971 Posts
Nice build! Sounds like a killer ride for the buck.

Cut out the part of the bike from the original, and post it as 600pix width or so to show it on here please!
 

· Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
Joined
·
747 Posts
I missed out!

Sorry I didn't ever get back with you about hooking up- specially after seeing these posts!

Glad you dig the Spicer, I wish I'd seen it. I came close but went with Wily instead.

Cheers

Spookykinkajou said:
A very fuzzy night, indeed.

I think I shut down about half-way through the tub experience and mildly recall getting dumped on by rain and eating a lot of Nilla wafers. Luc left the tequila dispensing bottle at my apt claiming numerous cleanings had been unable to remove the alcoholic taste.
 

· Category Winner
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
I am glad you rode Pilot Rock

When I did my 29'" front wheel experiment that is where I went. You said you ended up with blisters, and while I didn't get blisters it was the worst forearm pump I have ever felt. I really hope someone hears the 29ers' cry for a fatter tire. The rigd fork didn't feel as bad when I did it with a high volume UST tire, and we had rode all the way from Bent Creek before getting to Pilot so I was already pretty fatigued. I have been really enjoying Pisgah on the full rigid to the point of silliness.
Love the Spicer though. I was sad when I sold mine.
Are you coming down for the Death March in May?
I
 

· zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
teamdicky said:
When I did my 29'" front wheel experiment that is where I went. You said you ended up with blisters, and while I didn't get blisters it was the worst forearm pump I have ever felt. I really hope someone hears the 29ers' cry for a fatter tire. The rigd fork didn't feel as bad when I did it with a high volume UST tire, and we had rode all the way from Bent Creek before getting to Pilot so I was already pretty fatigued. I have been really enjoying Pisgah on the full rigid to the point of silliness.
Love the Spicer though. I was sad when I sold mine.
Are you coming down for the Death March in May?
I
I really liked the way the tires rolled through the nasty rock garden about halfway down pilot rock. I've only ridden it 3 times but the first time I was forced to bail on my 26" SS, 2nd time I cheated on a high travel squishmaster and just bombed right through and this time felt pretty proud when I cleared it pretty nicely on the full rigid 29er. My hands felt tingly by the time I got to the bottom. The heat generated from the friction of hitting all the drops and bumps was something I'd never felt before. I still have the blood blister on the left hand. I suppose it'll just go away once I eat through the remaining layers of skin.

I'd love to say yes on the death march but I heard it's sold out and I don't have a partner. I was talking to zach about it but haven't really heard anything from him in awhile.
 

· Cold. Blue. Steel.
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
I really liked the way the tires rolled through the nasty rock garden about halfway down pilot rock. I've only ridden it 3 times but the first time I was forced to bail on my 26" SS, 2nd time I cheated on a high travel squishmaster and just bombed right through and this time felt pretty proud when I cleared it pretty nicely on the full rigid 29er. My hands felt tingly by the time I got to the bottom. The heat generated from the friction of hitting all the drops and bumps was something I'd never felt before. I still have the blood blister on the left hand. I suppose it'll just go away once I eat through the remaining layers of skin.

I'd love to say yes on the death march but I heard it's sold out and I don't have a partner. I was talking to zach about it but haven't really heard anything from him in awhile.
i can see how you developed plenty of friction on that descent. i may have to keep my eye on a Reba just in case. ;)
Ask Eric about the waiting list.
Zach is apparently partnered up with Singletrack Pig. i think they are doing it on gearies because STP won't have his Wily SS yet. it isn't really the friendliest of SS courses anyway, but then, that never stopped us before, eh? :D
my current converted SS will see a new life as a 1x9 for the Death March. my partner is riding a geared hardtail, so...
 

· Category Winner
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
Pilot Rock

Yeah, you are right about the HumVee section of Pilot Rock. I have never had it soooo easy before. I rolled off all kinds of stupid things on the way down that section without a worry. The 29'er shined in that enviroment. I would love to ride around on the nasty singletrack at Snowshoe on a 29'er.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top