Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have 100mm Speedway Rims on a Pugsley? I'd like to run as wide as possible since most the snow I ride in is loose powder that I spin out in.

If the 100mm doesn't fit, I imagine the 70mm is my next best option?

Thanks for any ideas. I looked around and didn't see any previous discussion about these 100mm on a pugs.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
RockyRider said:
They also have 80mm rims available so you could give those a try
I know Chain Reaction in Alaska has all the rims available, but I'm pretty sure Speedway is only offering the 70mm now. Apparently it gives the same profile as the 80mm, probably due to a lower bead wall.

Vicious is making the Graceful Fat Sheba, but it isn't expected to be available from Quality until January. It is 80mm and has both drilling patterns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
back tire question

Nice! Surley offset front fork?

I know you've put lots o miles on endo's - (Soggy Bottom 100 and other summer riding...) are you sure you want to run it in that direction? Or did you mount it that way by mistake and just didn't want to fight to re-bead it in the normally accepted direction...?

·
Registered
17 Posts
without resurrecting the "farmer john - Ritcheys?" controversy - (ok that was the 1980's) I doubt it makes a significant difference in traction - especially when aired down, these skids have very little tread anyway.

No complaints here, just wanted to pick on Alhansen in a mildly passive-aggressive way... he'll appreciate my avatar...

·
Registered
68 Posts
These Endo's go both ways...

chicksdigme said:
Nice! Surley offset front fork?

I know you've put lots o miles on endo's - (Soggy Bottom 100 and other summer riding...) are you sure you want to run it in that direction? Or did you mount it that way by mistake and just didn't want to fight to re-bead it in the normally accepted direction...?
I guess it's better traction, I don't know. I haven't actually tested the difference. Billy at Arctic Cycles Fatbike Rental says it's better, so that's good enough for me. And actually, with the 100's (this is another added piece of greatness) the tires just fall off the rim with no fighting at all. So turning it around to roll in the other direction would be no problem. Two days ago at minus 10 degrees (F!), I took the tire off and tube out by hand. No tools. Conversely (because Chuck Taylor would want it that way), more air needs to be pumped into the tire before it seats on the rim but I think the tradeoff is worth it. I hate fighting tires off Large Marge's at 80 degrees, I can't imagine the struggle at a more challenging temperature.

And yeah, offset front fork, for now. Can't talk about it, skunkworks and all. I could tell you but then I'd have to murder-death-kill another kitten.

What I can say is that 100's rock. I've been riding on trails with just a couple of ski tracks on them where if I tip over (as occasionally happens, Soggy Bottom skills and all), I end up floundering in waist-deep snow. I know my Marge-equipped setup would kind of "squeeeek" as it dug a trench, then stop. Then I'd probably ball-nut myself on the top tube as I dismounted to push. Is it still biking if there is nobody in the saddle?

·
Registered
68 Posts
chicksdigme said:
No complaints here, just wanted to pick on Alhansen in a mildly passive-aggressive way... he'll appreciate my avatar...
You need to try harder; I didn't even notice I was being picked on. I wish more people would pick on me, then we could all have a laugh and nobody would get offended.

It took me a while, but I understand your avatar now. Poached eggs. And someone poached the third one from you (or am I reading too much into it?). And it's a Teflon-coated pan so Poaching doesn't really hurt the pan at all, does it? It's like it never happened. You could Poach over and over again and the pan would still look the same. Like when a Fat-tire bike Poaches a groomed ski-trail. You are so clever!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
To the OP, I just drilled my 100's, really not a big deal, took about 15 minutes, just used a set of calipers to scratch a center between holes, then went from the rim edge to center of hole, and cross scratched my first mark. Drill straight through the mark with your smaller hole for the nipple, then redrill the larger inner hole. I ran rim tape on the inside of the rim for the "extra holes" left over, and a run of electrical tape on the outside to keep water and dirt out. With the black rims, it's pretty invisible.

Well worth it, I got almost an inch of growth in contact patch. The only issue is that the non drive side tension is a bit soft, but is acceptable, just not ideal.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.