Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in 2011 I was at Sea Otter and there it was, The Syzr pedal.

They even had it their catalog they handed me...................

I think the Syzr is the Duke Nukem 4Ever of pedals.

It's at Sea Otter 2014.........................:yawn:

If I ever see it in a store, I will insist on touching it to make sure it's not some hologram.

Reactions: FuelForThought

·
Registered
237 Posts
There was a rumour going round a while back that they were having durability issues.

It'd be nice to think they've been solved and the release date is now in sight, given that the SYZR showed up in MTBR's Sea Otter coverage this year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like they are showing up in the retail distribution sphere. Has anyone had any trail experience with these yet? I'm about ready to retire my sets of Eggbeaters for cx and mtb and am intrigued.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like they are showing up in the retail distribution sphere. Has anyone had any trail experience with these yet? I'm about ready to retire my sets of Eggbeaters for cx and mtb and am intrigued.
Time or Mavic ATACS. Tried, tested and just keep on going and going and going

I just had to retire my ATAC XS that I got in 2007. I greased them once a yr and i had to retire them because the platform that my mtb shoe lug sat on just wore away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, I'm actually curious about the Syzr. Fwiw, I've used spd, Frogs, ATACs, Eggbeaters, Ritcheys, Onza (that's a blast from the past!), and flat pedals on my mtbs over the years. The syzr looks like a neat design with plenty of adjustable float built in, so was inquiring if anyone here has had any time on them yet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am trying out a set now, but I only have 1 ride on them so far. They are well made and have some clever features. My trusty ATACs look and feel crude in comparison but I will reserve my opinion on their trail worthiness until I have some more rides on them.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
How is the release on the Syzr?

I really like how the Eggbeaters release...that's why I keep going back to them. Curious about the Syzr.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am trying out a set now, but I only have 1 ride on them so far. They are well made and have some clever features. My trusty ATACs look and feel crude in comparison but I will reserve my opinion on their trail worthiness until I have some more rides on them.
The Look Quartz had some good features and light weight. We all know how those turned out. The Quartz was a good pedal...........as long as you did not ride on the dirt with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very cool. I'll be eager to hear more reports of your impression when you've got more time on them. Cheers!

·
Registered
474 Posts
How is the release on the Syzr?

I really like how the Eggbeaters release...that's why I keep going back to them. Curious about the Syzr.
It definitely feels different than Eggbeaters/ATACs. One ride in and I think I prefer it, the transition from float to release is very distict. The float is very smooth then you can easily feel when you hit the point where release begins. Float amount is completely adjustable, independently for each direction of foot rotation. I did notice some inconsistency in release effort, though. This is about the only thing that concerns me much so far, however it is a big one. I want to get more time on them and make sure they are broken in before I say much more about them. Should be able to get two good rides in this weekend.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,447 Posts
I see a spring in the pedal, is that for clipping in, do the Syzr's have free float and non-spring release like the Frog's?

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
I want to know how they fare in snow and sub-freezing conditions. I asked about those very use cases at Interbike one year, and their reply was, "Well, we're based in Southern California..."

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to know how they fare in snow and sub-freezing conditions. I asked about those very use cases at Interbike one year, and their reply was, "Well, we're based in Southern California..."
Typical arrogant Speedplay answer. You have to love the over confidence.

The more metal on the pedal the better it will handle the extreme temps. Just from the look of the design, I'd say it would be fine in the snow, but I have certainly not tested it. I'm a Time/Mavic $lut.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The spring is similar to a traditional pedal, release is more or less like an SPD. The float is free, adjustable, and integral to the cleat.
I'm looking forward to any feedback on their performance in the mud, but given how dry this spring/summer has been that may have to wait for a bit!:)

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Typical arrogant Speedplay answer. You have to love the over confidence.

The more metal on the pedal the better it will handle the extreme temps. Just from the look of the design, I'd say it would be fine in the snow, but I have certainly not tested it. I'm a Time/Mavic $lut.
I've ridden Frogs in snow/ice, and entry really suffers. I can still remember riding home from work in a snow storm and not being able to clip in on one side.

One thing that puzzles me is the lack of hands-on Syzr reviews. Every piece I've seen just parrots back the company's claims. I'm also skeptical that the following video proves anything (walking or running through mud is very different than coating the shoe/pedal with mud).

I own several pairs of Speedplay pedals, and I really like them for certain applications.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm looking forward to any feedback on their performance in the mud, but given how dry this spring/summer has been that may have to wait for a bit!:)
So far, I have only managed to subject them to some spots of moderately damp and sandy conditions. They seem open enough to resist mud clogging, but I have felt them tighten up on release a bit from sand grit. I have not been stopped from getting into or out of them yet, I hope the occasional increase in release resistance I have felt goes away with more use. Entry and exit usually just feel normal, not much to get used to, which is good considering the uniquely complex yet still reasonably compact cleats. The smooth float is very nice, the adjustability of the float is welcome, and I like how the release action is entirely separate from the float motion. The float and the distinct transition to release is the part that feels the most different to what I am used to, and I like it. I don't think that these are revolutionary, but they are a nice combination of features and I am going to keep riding them and see how I feel about them in a month or so. Not selling my Times yet, though, until these prove themselves a bit more.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Love my X-Pedals for their boatloads of float and this sounds promising. I'll be curious to hear how your Syzrs do if you ride them through the winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts