Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bike wireless computer to track my progress and the transmitter seems to mount wrong. This speedo transmitter is supposed to fit MTB forks but it has to be twisted in towards the spokes in order to pick up the magnet. The instructions clearly show the transmitter mounted parallel to the rim but if I mount it that way the magnet is two inches away.
Anyone used one of these? It's a Vetta RT288L
Thanks. A.H.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try moving it down lower on your fork. The spokes at the top of the wheel are furthest from the fork, as you travel towards the center of the rim the spokes get closer to the fork and therefor will be closer to the transmitter.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
When I used a Polar transmitter like that, I mounted it similarly. As long as it's picking up the magnet and transmitting, it doesn't really matter where you mount it. I liked it higher up to keep trailside brush a bit more out of the equation.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I did try it lower on the fork but it was still pretty far from the spokes. I just wanted to make sure I didnt miss something. It works perfectly where it is now so that's where it's gonna live. Thanks again! A.H.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Also, If I'm looking at this correctly, it appears you've mounted it on the disc brake side of the fork. Those spokes are going to be inset -- a few millimeters further away than the spokes on the right side of the front wheel. It doesn't make much of a difference as high up as you've got it, but it will bring the magnet closer to the fork's leg if you lower it *and* swap sides.

Additionally, my magnets have tended to get knocked around a little when I have them that far to the outside of the wheel.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Also, If I'm looking at this correctly, it appears you've mounted it on the disc brake side of the fork. Those spokes are going to be inset -- a few millimeters further away than the spokes on the right side of the front wheel. It doesn't make much of a difference as high up as you've got it, but it will bring the magnet closer to the fork's leg if you lower it *and* swap sides.

Additionally, my magnets have tended to get knocked around a little when I have them that far to the outside of the wheel.
If I mounted it on the other side I would have to mount it to the back side of the fork, it would then be more subject to being pulled into the spokes if it moved in at all, being mounted on the disc side allows it to be mounted on the front of the fork, if it gets hit there it will just be pushed away from the spokes.
It's working great now. The instructions had a couple flaws, they showed the fork leg ridiculously close to the rim and they also showed and instructed that the battery for the receiver to be inserted opposite of how it actualy needs to be. Thanks!
Aaron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.