Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally located my old Ibis Trials Comp I sold over 10 years ago and convinced the guy to sell it back to me for $200 (what I originally sold it for). Actually what I was after was the Speedmaster brakesets which you all know are getting pretty hard to dig up. In any case, I took some pre-cleaning pictures and will try to post them here. I had "re-shaped" the cam (remember I did this when replacements were only a call away) for the trials bike so you could pull the lever to the bar with one finger and basically Vise-Grip the pads to the rim. Some of the original brakepad-mounting hardware has developed cracks (I seem to remember this was somewhat common), so if anyone knows where to locate "new" parts for these I'd love to hear from you!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I believe Charlie Cunningham will still take care of his component customers. Someone here will have his contact into. Alternately, try Steve Potts.

Nice Look with the Morati cranks, by the way. A friend had one of those limited edition pink team frames from 1996(?).

G

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sharp eye on the ONCE frame. That's about the right year. I think I'm one of the few riders that hasn't cracked the Moratis, but by 125# weight probably has something to do with it!

Anyone else have Cunningham contact info?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Wow, nice buy. I usually see those bikes with the Dia Compe U brakes.

Thats some serious cam modification! Ive dremeled a couple of mine a bit steeper but nothing close to that. Those must be some serious, high-leverage stoppers. Like you said, probably great for trials. I guess youve just gotta be careful that the cable wont pull the cam all the way through the rollers without the little nubs at the end of the cam any longer. Cant wait to see it all cleaned up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fillet-brazed said:
Wow, nice buy. I usually see those bikes with the Dia Compe U brakes.

Thats some serious cam modification! Ive dremeled a couple of mine a bit steeper but nothing close to that. Those must be some serious, high-leverage stoppers. Like you said, probably great for trials. I guess youve just gotta be careful that the cable wont pull the cam all the way through the rollers without the little nubs at the end of the cam any longer. Cant wait to see it all cleaned up.
It originally did come with 990s, but I don't think I left an original part on the bike. The cranks are old Deores I cut down and re-tapped, the headset is a Euclid, the bars are Renthals, and, if memory serves, the stem was a Mountain Goat. The bash guard is the original magnesium unit that's been welded at least once from cracking.

Never pulled the cam through as the lever would bottom out first. The levers were early SLRs which just compounded the cam action.

I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do with the Ibis. I am using the brakes on another restoration.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
GonaSovereign said:
I believe Charlie Cunningham will still take care of his component customers
Yes, Charlie has replacements for those aluminum pad holder parts. I replaced mine earlier this year.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ssmike said:
Yes, Charlie has replacements for those aluminum pad holder parts. I replaced mine earlier this year.
Do you happen to remember his contact information?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
filegiant said:
Do you happen to remember his contact information?
Direct from Charlie. I don't want to post his personal info, but will PM you if he gives his blessing. You might be able to contact directory assistance for Fairfax, CA for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts