Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI-
A friend just contacted me - Jeff Co and Golden police are currently patrolling the 20 mph sections of Lookout. They are ticketing bikes ($140) if you are in excess of this speed :madmax:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Golden Cops

FYI x 2
I got pulled over on 19th after coming down Lookout, and the lady cop told me I was doing 32 in a 30. Didn't get a ticket, but she explained to me I needed to stay on the far right side of the lane and follow the speed limit. I was in the middle of the lane because no cars were behind me, and also I don't trust the people who park on the street not to bash me with a door, or pull out in front of me. I rode in the middle to protect myself. When do cars get pulled over for 2 mph over limit. :madmax:

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Lookout can be a zoo and a cluster. I'm surprised there aren't more bike/car, car/car bike/bike, motorcycle/bike/car collisions. The cops have to show a little presence and muscle once and a while to keep it from getting totally out of hand. if that means being a little hard core, then that's what they have to do.

Probably they have been getting complaints or there have been a bunch of close calls, etc. I love that climb and descent on my road bike, but it's not a good place to let it all hang out which more than a few people driving/riding all kinds of vehicles do.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts

·
Respect the mustache
145 Posts
Speeding tickets for bicycles, huh? Glad to live where my daily ride involves 30 miles of solitude, not climbing something that has more in common with an anthill.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not Clear on this

OK help me out here, what part of Chimney Gulch are they on? For a minute there I thought I was reading Road Bike Review.

If it is on a paved road, 20 mph over would be an awesome ticket. Wonder if it goes on your insurance???

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Kanute said:
OK help me out here, what part of Chimney Gulch are they on? For a minute there I thought I was reading Road Bike Review.

If it is on a paved road, 20 mph over would be an awesome ticket. Wonder if it goes on your insurance???
OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we are talking about Lookout Mtn Road and road bikes, not the dirt trail system

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zrm said:
OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we are talking about Lookout Mtn Road and road bikes, not the dirt trail system
ZRM you are correct Lookout Mt Road and road bikes, just assumed some of us ride road bikes on days we are not on the trails and I would rather spend my $140 on beer than a ticket

·
Starts B, ends Rant.
66 Posts
Should have reminded that lady cop that the new Colorado law allows cyclists to ride in the middle of the lane if they are moving the speed of traffic (unless otherwise posted - but I don't remember if it is posted up there). Given that there was no traffic and you were going 2 mph over the speed limit, I'd say you weren't doing anything wrong, unless you count that 2 mph as doing something wrong.

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
I didn't know there were any 20mph sections of Lookout - where are they? I guess I've probably been over that, seeing as I'd rather look where I'm going than try to watch my speed...
And exactly why is it a $140 ticket? Isn't the amount of the fine dictated by your speed overage? I got a ticket in a school zone before and I swear the fine was less.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
I hope the cops start hanging out at intersections and watch for the bikes blowing red lights. The whole family saw a guy blow a red light at Indiana and 6th and just about get creamed by the car in front of us, his rear tire was missed by inches, scary shite!
Then today I had to slam on brakes for a cyclist who blew his red light near I-25 and Alameda.
Idiots operate all vehicles, not only the motorized ones.

·
Does Not Belong on a Bike
248 Posts
B-Rant said:
...unless you count that 2 mph as doing something wrong.
I kinda do. The limit of speed was set at 30, not 32.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts