Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes passion ends up looking or sounding foolish. This may sound stupid but I always thought it would be cool to get a speeding ticket while on my bike, most likely on a downhill fire road or on the occasion that I end up riding pavement. I would then keep or make a copy of the ticket and place it in a small frame.

Is there anyone out there who can actually say they have accomplished this?

Is it possible?

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
When riding a bike where traffic laws apply, you are fully responsible for following them.

You can get a speeding ticket, a DUI, etc. Everything that applies to when your driving a car applies to a bike.

But yeah, it would be kinda cool to get a speeding ticket on a bike.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
2bikepennyless said:
Sometimes passion ends up looking or sounding foolish. This may sound stupid but I always thought it would be cool to get a speeding ticket while on my bike, most likely on a downhill fire road or on the occasion that I end up riding pavement. I would then keep or make a copy of the ticket and place it in a small frame.

Is it possible?
Got a warning from a ranger back in 98, Saratoga gap, Ca. It was not downhill but I went faster than 20mph which was the max speed allowed on the trail and a ranger was on the trail with a radar. Think I was going 24mph and he skipped the ticket.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
From what I've heard it's very possible to get a speeding ticket while riding; however you can usually argue them in court successfully in court since bicycles don't come from the factory with speedometers.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I live in Miami, and while on my roadbike rolling through Coral Gables at about 35mph and caught the green light perfectly. I was doing 35 in a 25 through a downhill section that was sort of mimicking a chicane. The Coral Gables cop pulled me over and lectured me for about 15min on bike safety and how stupid people drive in Miami and that I was putting myself at risk.

He said that he wouldn't give me a ticket because it would simply mean bragging rights. It also meant points off my license for driving my car...How that would have worked out, I don't know...no plate, no car, only license.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
frdfandc said:
You can get a speeding ticket, a DUI, etc. Everything that applies to when your driving a car applies to a bike.
That is not necessarily true.
I know that in Cali (and some other states as well), there is no "DUI" for a bicycle - as the law applies to motor vehicles only.
You can get a fine or a drunk in public, but that's it.

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
highdelll said:
That is not necessarily true.
I know that in Cali (and some other states as well), there is no "DUI" for a bicycle - as the law applies to motor vehicles only.
You can get a fine or a drunk in public, but that's it.
In AZ. you can get a DWI on a bike, check your local laws before drinking and riding.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
floydlippencott said:
In AZ. you can get a DWI on a bike, check your local laws before drinking and riding.
that's right...heres a map showing various 'laws' for the different states...

I also should have have been clearer in my previous post and said no "CUI" for a bicycle as it refers to motor vehicles per se - the BUI essentially amounts to a fine

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Are the radar guns cops use capable of picking up a bike? I wouldn't think they calibrate them for that, so I bet you could argue out of it in court if you actually managed to get one.

·
up n over
407 Posts
When I was 15 in NH I was drafting a semi down a hill in Concord and hit 43 in a 35. The driver got a ticket and I got the "I don't ever want to see that again lecture."

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
2bikepennyless said:

Is it possible?
35 years ago. On a 10 speed road bike, down a steep hill, coming into a very small town with a very bored cop set up to catch speeders when the limit changed from 50 to 25.
35mph in a 25mph zone! I proudly kept that ticket for 20 years until it disintegrated.

And yeah, radar can pick up a bike. I saw the reading and I watched him clock another guy who wasn't speeding.

Thank you Ontario Provincial Police.

Be careful if you're ever in Demorestville Ontario, there was radar there 35 years ago.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
2bikepennyless said:

Is it possible?
On the road bike I routinely hit 45 in a "25" zone. It's CA though, so the 25 really does mean a 30 MPH minimum :rolleyes: The funny thing is, just up the hill from my route is a notorious speed trap for people going up the hill from a 35 zone to a 25 residential zone.

I've tried getting myself on those radar trailers that track you and tell you your speed. I've always had to wave my arm to even have a chance of the radar picking up me and the bike.

But no tickets... yet.... :thumbsup:

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
highdelll said:
They give speeding tix to cyclists all the time apparently in the Bay Area - Just search the norcal forum
Yes, a lot, but mostly in the San Fran area on the Municipal Utilities Districts properties where they enforce an insane 15mph limit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Yes, a lot, but mostly in the San Fran area on the Municipal Utilities Districts properties where they enforce an insane 15mph limit.
Yup, $362 if memory serves for 23ish in a 15 zone at about 10AM on a weekday morning in San Jose (Fremont Older). I was able to come to a complete stop about 20 yards from the ranger, but unfortunately I didn't see him soon enough to stop and turn around without him seeing me... If I'd known how much the ticket was going to be, I would have asked him to let me do some speed runs to see how fast I could really go on that section of fire road (I always try to keep it slow in that park and at the time, was just coasting down the hill at what I considered to be a leisurely pace). He called in my drivers license to his dispatch and everything. I'm not sure I'll stop next time...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.