Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had wheel sbuilt from speedgoat or other on-line store? Is there an advantage to getting them hand built? Who builds the wheels with different components that we see on-line at Jensen, Wheelworld, Speedgoat, etc...

Like Shimano XT Disc Hub + Mavic 717 Disc Rim + DT Swiss spokes(what spokes should I get?) I weigh 170 lbs and an all-mountain rider who only jumps 1 to 2 feet.

Pedro. :cool:

·
Banned
462 Posts
I have a set of XT's and 717, DT wheelset was hand built.. by me :)
My first set. It was a real pain in the butt, I don't recommend it unless you have lots of patients.

You can buy a prebuilt set for around $250.
If you insist on having them custom built, the advantage is that they will probably be a little truer than factory made ones and you can customize the parts you want on your wheel.

Regarding your spoke question, it depends on what kind of riding you plan to do. But judging by the set up, the 717's being light weight XC rims you probably want to go with 14/15 spoke like the DT Revolution or DT Competition.

And I heard Speedgoat makes good custom wheels.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hey, Becane.

I have an avatar for you. I will leave it up for a few days. If you want it, take it, and I will go back to the 8 ball.

At least save it. This is a must for any Yoda fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.