Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running chris king hubs for about 6 months, and i can't help but wonder if i could make them faster. The ring drive will increase rolling resistance and all, but there has to be a way to make them roll faster. Is there any ceramic bearings i could run. Does any specific type of lube help um. I work at a bike shop, so i can understand all the techy stuff. Thanks.

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
My King rear feels as fast or faster than any hub I've had. I only notice added drag when spinning the wheel by hand on the stand (it does not spin as long as some). But on the trails, it feels turbo-charged... quit pedaling and just rip. It picks up speed rapidly... going downhill of course!

One thing to check... make sure it's not over-tightened or over greased or with overly heavy grease.

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
You may not race, but still this advice applies to everyone - you don't win races coasting. Freehub drag is only an issue when you're not pedalling, and if you're coasting a lot then, by definition, speed isn't a priority for you. So your concern with freewheel drag might be mostly psychological - just pedal more!

But more seriously, you mention freewheel drag, and then mention the idea of ceramic bearings. Bearing drag and freewheel drag are completely separate - quality ceramic bearings, properly installed, will certainly reduce drag a bit, and will reduce it whether you're pedalling or not, and is therefore a good upgrade (although it ranks low on the scale of cost vs. return). Freewheel drag won't be effected by bearings.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
If you put two identical bikes on two identical stands with two identical wheels and tires ands spokes.... everything is identical... except the hubs. A computerized machine spins both wheels up to 30mph... identical speeds.

The only difference is one has a King hub and one has another hub. When the computerized machine stops spinning the wheels, allowing them to freewheel, it is noticed that the King hub wheel spins three-quarters as long as the other hub wheel.

Does this King hub "drag" translate into a loss of speed and/or energy on the trail?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Based on personal experience in coasting contests I say no, it does not make a difference. The difference between the stand and the trail/road are hard to quantify, though, the former being under no load and the latter being under load, but I'm no engineer. I do think it's not worthy of much concern. While pedalling I think it makes even less difference. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
29Colossus said:
Does this King hub "drag" translate into a loss of speed and/or energy on the trail?
Further, how is this changed when you have the weight of a rider on said identical bikes? Assume the riders are identical, also (fraternal or otherwise - same sex, too, so no "aero advantage" either way).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Yeah, you can always do the oil the bearings thing, but what about dealing with it on a maintenance basis? For maybe an important race or something, but for most purposes just not worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.