Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2007 Cannondale 29er. It has the aluminum Speed lefty fork. The fork is really stiff and it seems like the travel is short. I think it is supposed to be 80mm. I was wondering what spring was in it so I pulled the top cap off. The internal isn't like what wa son my lefty max (from a prophet). There are three white plastic rings around the internal shaft. Are those travel reducing spacers? If so, what are the effects of removing them beyond increasing travel? Does it soften the spring as well?

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
how much do you weigh?
what color spring is installed (might be writin on the spindle)?
also, what tire are you running? i run a 2.1 and i removed one spacer, so i am running 90mm of travel.

and, make sure you have reset the bearings.

cheers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I weigh in at 175 lbs, I am running 2.3 WTB tires. I don't know what spring is installed because I couldn't get to it. Would the bearing reset make it "less stiff"?

So the spacers are removeable?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
zurC atnaS said:
I weigh in at 175 lbs, I am running 2.3 WTB tires. I don't know what spring is installed because I couldn't get to it. Would the bearing reset make it "less stiff"?
What size bike is it?

zurC atnaS said:
So the spacers are removeable?
Yes, but DO NOT remove them. Those spacers are put in to reduce the travel from 110mm to 80mm. The 29er wheel is not compatible with anything bigger than 80mm of travel because your wheel would hit the fork crown in a bottom out situation. Cannondale really only makes a few lefty's, for the 29ers they just take a standard 110 and put on the spacers and swap out an aluminum tube at the bottom of the damper to keep the fork at 80mm of travel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

The frame is a size large. So is changing the spring the only way to soften the fork up?

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
if you are running a 2.3 do not remove any spacers.

at 175, you are close to my weight (i'm 170). i am running the lightest neg. available. i know it goes against cannondales spring chart, but i feel like their negative spring are just too stiff and suck up to much travel from the get go. when you have 3" of travel and the neg spring tales a 1" away form that, there is something wrong. so i switched to the next lightest (which was the lightest available).

i thin i had the proper neg spring installed in my lefty and had to pum my fork to 200psi to get it to full extension.

so, i have a dlr2 speed carbon, lightest spring available, the 29er piston spacer/2 travel spacers installed (your fork should already have those 2 things installed) and i run 105psi and get full travel.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
zurC atnaS said:
The frame is a size large. So is changing the spring the only way to soften the fork up?
What air pressure do you run in your Lefty? I would say that unless you are running insanely high pressure then you will want to switch to the next softest spring. The large frame comes with a Red spring in the lefty, you would want to switch to a spring that come in a medium frame, its Blue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts