Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Trek bicycle less than one year ago and since the begin I have a lot of problems with Speed Hobble and also the speed shifting to much noise
and no body in Montreal Canada are capable to resolve the problem it go on since the first day I cant remove my hands from the wheel it shakes REAL TOO MUCH, until now finally Trek ask the store to call me to get the bicycle to the store to see if they resolve the problem, I test other brands and other Trek models and is no Speed Hobbles at ALL...
see pic from Trek site馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺

I CAN'T DO THAT on my Trek Vere3+ Lowstep IMPOSSIBLE

Cycologist
You should have taken it back to the store you bought it from as soon as you noticed the problems, as a Trek dealer, it is their responsibility.

since 4/10/2009
what's "speed hobble"? are you talking about speed wobble? Are you sure you have speed wobbles? It's not common for bicycles to do this. I experienced it ONCE on a bicycle. I think a few factors affected it - weight distribution (it was my commuter bike), frame stiffness (steel touring bike), and very strong wind from the side being the big ones.

Many articles are motorcycle-related, but not all.

How to Prevent Speed Wobbles on a Motorcycle: Tricks, Tips, & More | NADAguides

What's A Speed Wobble and What Do You Do When You Get One - I Love Bicycling

Given the 2nd article, I suspect top tube stiffness is a factor (you don't have a top tube!) as well as weight distribution (that bike puts your weight rearward, and would especially be notable if you've got a load of some sort in the rack).

2nd, this bike is a hybrid style e-bike. Riding with no hands is not going to be equally easy on all bikes. And hybrids are one of the bike types where this will be more difficult. The bike in the pic looks like a mtb. Totally different animal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what's "speed hobble"? are you talking about speed wobble? Are you sure you have speed wobbles? It's not common for bicycles to do this. I experienced it ONCE on a bicycle. I think a few factors affected it - weight distribution (it was my commuter bike), frame stiffness (steel touring bike), and very strong wind from the side being the big ones.

Many articles are motorcycle-related, but not all.

How to Prevent Speed Wobbles on a Motorcycle: Tricks, Tips, & More | NADAguides

What's A Speed Wobble and What Do You Do When You Get One - I Love Bicycling

Given the 2nd article, I suspect top tube stiffness is a factor (you don't have a top tube!) as well as weight distribution (that bike puts your weight rearward, and would especially be notable if you've got a load of some sort in the rack).

2nd, this bike is a hybrid style e-bike. Riding with no hands is not going to be equally easy on all bikes. And hybrids are one of the bike types where this will be more difficult. The bike in the pic looks like a mtb. Totally different animal.
Yes ... Speed Wobble

Administrator
Speed wobbles are from resonance through the bike. As noted by @Harold above, missing the top tube will certainly impact resonance through the frame. Many people have spent forever trying to find the reason for the imbalance on their bikes. It could be slightly out of alignment from the centerline of the wheels front to back, so one wheel is trying to get back to center and causing the wobble. It could be an out of round tire or wheel. Or a tire that was made with a heavy spot in it. I could be that the motor is forcing the resonance.

Honestly if could any multitude of things.

If you want to see how prevalent it is and how difficult it is look up Jeep death wobbles.

Cycologist
Yeah, that's not good. As Harold said, actual speed w/hobble isn't all that common, I think you have another issue going on, almost looks like the fork/headset is loose. Has your store called you? They should be dealing with it and making it right, but you should have pushed it with them right after you bought it.

Disgruntled Peccary
Looks like so:

This is a cool video and shows how easy a resonance can start a wobble.
Yea, I had an XJ with about 5" of lift at one point in time... it wasn't safe to drive past 55 and I could never get rid of the death wobble.. so it rode a trailer..

Registered
I've had several bikes that would reliably get tank-slapper under certain conditions. The bikes were classic steel road bikes and the conditions were a high tail bag load and me riding no-hands. Just grabbing the steering again was enough to stop it, but also based on that I wouldn't call it rare or unusual. I could definitely see an e-bike doing it. Lots of dirt bikes do it and some of them have steering dampers, even back to a '69 Honda CL350 that I once owned

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
YES I did complain at time I buy it until now I got really upset, the store told me we don鈥檛 know the problem and they went try the bicycle and they saw the problem, but came out with many ideas but nothing to fix it, I contact Trek one first time no answer, I went to the Facebook page of Trek and finally one person on chat from Trek told me I will take care, the same time I contact Trek by Email and the person and the person (Mr. Bryce Buckner from Trek USA) he told me that is a big problem after see the video I send but they don鈥檛 know how to fix, and he send me a video from YouTube to kind of is normal Speed Hobble

I answer him back to tell him that is your solution? I saw many videos at YouTube don鈥檛 need you to send me any links for that I want my problem resolved and it will not be resolved send me videos of YouTube PLEASE, I ask him to give me the address of a manager or something and he send (Mr. Stephan Glinski from Trek USA) but he asks me few questions and this is it THEY DONT CARE...
I get a call from the store to bring the bicycle in and I ask who tell you to contact me to bring the bicycle in to the store? No answer, is not order from Mr. Stephan Glinski because when I told him the store call me to bring the bicycle to the store it was a BIG surprise for him because by is answers he don鈥檛 know nothing about he told me I am happy the store ask you to bring the bicycle, this Mr. Gilinsky is a "Trek manager" may GOD.
I am so disappointing with Trek I am ready not to pick up the bicycle from the store and ask then to send the bicycle of $5000 Cad to Trek head office for them to make a "salad" with it I don鈥檛 want the bicycle anymore if they don鈥檛 fix...
I went try other bicycles Giant, Gazelle, another models of Trek and NONE have the problem of Speed Wobble

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trek News on this very issue:

[Waterloo, WI] - In 2018, Trek unveiled the all-new Verve+ Lowstep electric hybrid bike designed for comfort on commutes, daily cruises, and recreational rides. It features a stepthrough style frame for easy mounting and dismounting and a Bosch system capable of sustaining speeds of up to 20 mph. Unfortunately is has come to our attention that the steering setup and headset installation is not per factory specification and may contribute to loss of control of the bike when riding no-handed, posing fall and injury hazards to the rider.

Trek has received 132 reports of this defect and is taking immediate steps to resolve the issue and recommends all owners stop using the bike immediately and return to the dealer to resolve the issue through the warranty process. Trek is ready to refund the owner up to nineteen ninety eight when the undertaker threw mankind off hell in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.
Thank You for this info, It shows it is Not new....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.