Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing a tire today and I happened to notice some dimples under the rim strip that didn't look like they should be there. I peeled off the strip and found:

Three holes drilled inbetween the spoke holes, front and back, (Ritchey wheelset).
I got this bike used so I assume it was the previous owners creative attempt at lightening up the wheels.
I have ridden them for over a year now and they have held up fine but now I am a little concerned. Have they been seriously compromised?
I have never heard of this being done before. Is it some sort of weight weenie thing?

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Wow! I've heard of that....

being done, but never seen it before! As BFFL said, "damned weight wennies!!!! And YES you should be concerned!!! Ritchey wheels are notoriously light to begin with. Drilling that much material from the inner wall can have SERIOUS detrimental effects on the strength of the wheel. I would start looking for a new or used UNMODIFIED wheel set to replace them as soon as possible. Obviously neither you or the previous owner ride to terribly agressively, the wheels haven't folded up yet! But add the time the previous onwer put on them after the mod and the time you have in, and you may well be pushing your luck. Who knows they may last another season, they may only last another ride, but eventually they are gonna fold up, and it most likely won't be pretty. So for your peace of mind and ours PLEASE tell us you are shopping for a new wheel set!!!!:eek:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it was some sort of subversive weenie activity.
When will someone put a stop to this corrupting force within the mountain bike community! :D

I'll just go easy on these wheels until I find a replacement set. It gives me a good excuse to upgrade to discs on this bike.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Hehehe....

the only time "subversive weight wennie activity" bothers me is when it something STUPID like this that sends shivers up and down my spine when I see it. Oh well, at least you found it before things got ugly!

Good Dirt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.