Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specs and photos of East Coast classics: Spooky, Rhygin, Nevil, etc???

I once owned a Darkside and now I am thinking about a custom build based on east coast geometry (short chainstays, long top tube, steep head angle, high BB). Anyone out there have photos or specs for the Spooky Darkside/Junebug, Rhygins, Nevils, or other classic East Coast bikes? Any size will do, but I will probably need a 17" or 18" bike. Any information, even measurements off a frame, is much appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
nevil specs...

had a nevil devil for awhile. it was 19 c-t seat tube, 25 in top tube, 6 or 61/2 in headtube, 15.9 chainstays, 12.5-13 in high bb. regular 71/73 head and seat angles, ment to be run with an 80mm-100mm rise stem. this was when 135 x 10 was standard and i would have normaly been on a 23.5 top tube at that time. don't know if that helps or not, but you can get an idea how a smaller frame would be off my numbers. i want to say rhygan used parallel 72 angles, but really didn't build a woods bike, but a racer. more standard tube lengths with a little higher bb. same with spooky. you can email frank the welder at sinister bikes and ask him the old spooky geometry, as he was at one time, their welder. frankly, i wouldn't build a nevil type bike for anything other than trialsy woods riding. that thing would swap ends at speed in the blink of an eye. however, at slow speed, pickin' and plunkin', it was tits. same with eastern woods research. if you truly want an eastern woods type frame, check out the old kona steel bike geometry, or brodie. i know they are pac north west, but those bike are awsome out here. most east coast builders used normal geometry with maybe a little slacker seat angle, but if you look at old eastern companies, most were building for the race course and used tried and true designs. if you want standard east coast racing geometry, serotta, seven, indy, etc, all still use basically very similar numbers as they did back in the early 90's.

·
---IN LOVE---- :-)
3 Posts
finally a topic i like ;)

well - i don't know a lot about nevil - but like'em a lot - especially the fact, that they did any weld you wanted whether it was a stem or a frame in any madman's geo ...

some pics (sad but true it's not mine)

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
lebaron said:
finally a topic i like ;)

well - i don't know a lot about nevil - but like'em a lot - especially the fact, that they did any weld you wanted whether it was a stem or a frame in any madman's geo ...
Baron!!

Uh.. chance that 'they' into 'he' since Nevil Corck (or something) worked for himself in a trailer (!!!). There was a thread on Nevil somewhat back in this forum...

enough info there...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Don't know if it qualifies... but...

lawhoo said:
I once owned a Darkside and now I am thinking about a custom build based on east coast geometry (short chainstays, long top tube, steep head angle, high BB). Anyone out there have photos or specs for the Spooky Darkside/Junebug, Rhygins, Nevils, or other classic East Coast bikes? Any size will do, but I will probably need a 17" or 18" bike. Any information, even measurements off a frame, is much appreciated.
I've got the specs for the OLD Univega's lying around. Circa '95 or so. It was my first 'real' bike and was, rather, is a great woods bike. Twitchy with a 72 deg headtube. I know Teesdale helped out 'Vega about that time with some of there upper end/prototype bikes, but that's about it.

This bike was a good enough woods bike that I bought back the one I sold years afterwards. There was just something 'right' about the bike.

If interested drop me a PM or post here and I'll scan the page with the details.

JmZ

PS another 'old school' bike to look at might be an Interloc. Very classic feel to the cockpit on those, the second steel bike that's felt 'right' to me.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the American Steeplejack bikes? I remember hearing about them, and seem to remember them having some short stays and a 24" rear wheel.
The American M16 is also supposed to be pretty nice for woods riding, as the name suggests, the chainstays are 16" long.
My personal woods ride is a Tom Teesdale. He builds a good frame for a good price. Mine has Avid discs with a custom-fabricated reinforced rear dropout to hold up to disc brake stress when doing trials-type moves on the rear wheel. It's also got 16" stays with clearance for a 2.3" Tioga DH rear tire and a double chainring up front. If you're looking for a new bike with that kind of geometry, Tom can build it. I even had a second frame made by him, this time with a 24" rear wheel, 15.5" stays and some steep angles. Great for urban trials, and woods riding.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Don't forget brew although im not sure their geometry was like you were describing.

Also the cannondale m800 was speced that way "the beast of the east"

·
Registered
647 Posts
lawhoo said:
Beleive it or not these are straight from the original Spooky autocad frame files.

19" Darkside
HT ANg 71.5
st ang 73
ht length 5"
bb height 11.75"
cs length 16.5"
TT length 23.5"
st c-c 14.75"

17" darkside
same as 19" but with 23" TT

You should look into a Sinister Ridge, very similar setup as the Darkside/pitboss, but with geometry and tube spec more suited to modern forks and abuse. And built by the exact same guy. Rhygin Geometry was almost exactly the same, but with a 72.5 deg seat angle.

·
nobody
490 Posts
I have a '94 Beast of the East

and really liked how it climbs. I love the geometry. The high bottom bracket is all good as far as getting up rock and log steps. The downside, at least with me, is that it's really unstable at speed when bombing down fire roads and the like. I don't know if other east coast bikes handle like this or not.

I've never been concerned about it's high speed handling since I don't consider that one of the intended purposes of this bike. You may want to think about the type of riding you want to do with the bike before you jump into it.

BTW, I saw this listing on ebay if you're interested in hooking up with a Beast.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SuspectDevice said:
Beleive it or not these are straight from the original Spooky autocad frame files.
Awesome. Thanks for the specs.

Quick question about the BB height - I have a catalog that divulges limited specs and claims that the BB height of the Darkside was 12.5 inch. Do you know if the 11.75 height from the CAD represents a change from earlier Darksides or something else?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
lawhoo said:
Awesome. Thanks for the specs.

Quick question about the BB height - I have a catalog that divulges limited specs and claims that the BB height of the Darkside was 12.5 inch. Do you know if the 11.75 height from the CAD represents a change from earlier Darksides or something else?
If you are still looking for specs, I am in my office and I have my Eastern Woods Research Original Woods sitting in front of me. However, it'd be easier to get the specs from my catalog at home. I believe the one I have is a '95. Things I do know:

BB Height: 12.5"
Chainstays: 15.9"
TT Length: 22.5"
Standover: way low ;)

Lemme know if you're still interested and I'll get the specs straight from the catalog.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drevil said:
If you are still looking for specs, I am in my office and I have my Eastern Woods Research Original Woods sitting in front of me. However, it'd be easier to get the specs from my catalog at home. I believe the one I have is a '95. Things I do know:
Specs from your catalog would be great.

Do you ride a Chester too? I think we may have done some rides a few summers ago that were arranged through the old MTBR board. I worked in DC as a lobbyist/public relations associate and came up to the Shed and Patapsco a few times.

Anyway, thanks for the specs offer. How are you enjoying the EWR?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
lawhoo said:
Specs from your catalog would be great.

Do you ride a Chester too? I think we may have done some rides a few summers ago that were arranged through the old MTBR board. I worked in DC as a lobbyist/public relations associate and came up to the Shed and Patapsco a few times.

Anyway, thanks for the specs offer. How are you enjoying the EWR?
Yup, I ride a Chester . That's cool that we rode together. What's your name or what do you ride?

Here're the specs for the Original Woods, which was designed more like a trialsy/all mountain:

HTA: 72
STA: 73.5
CS Length: 15.9"
Eff TT Length:
Small (16"): 21.5"
Med (17.5"): 22 3/8"
Lrg (19"): 23.25"

The E-motion was the race bike, and differed in standover height and tt length:

HTA: 72
STA: 73.5
CS Length: 15.9"
Eff TT Length:
Small (16"): 21.75"
Med (17.5"): 22 5/8"
Lrg (19"): 23.5"

·
Registered
153 Posts
Missed that Beast

I missed that Beast on ebay but if anyone knows about another 18" for sale I'm all over that. The best bike I have ever ridden, why I ever sold it I don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts