Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a hardcore weight weenie, but have a few light components on my FS bike. I purchased a Specialized Phenom SL Saddle 143 a few weeks ago and did a 5.5+ hr ride yesterday at Skeggs Pt (Nor Cal) for a true test.

I found the saddle very comfortable to ride from start to finish. I'm 5'10", 175lbs. Based on the Specialized site, it weighs in at 195gms +- 5%. (Maybe too heavy for some of you)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Likely under weight. I have the cromo gel that is listed on their site as 295g. Mine weighed in at 275g which is what the SL gel one is supposed to weigh.

Probably the most comfortable seat I have ever tried. I have them on two bikes.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
ryball - in comparison to a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow - would you rate the Phenom as more comfortable? I had the SLR and found it pretty hard, moved to a Nisene Gel CP -too soft. Considering a Fizik Gobi - but LBS had a Phenom which looked really good....

Any concerns with durability of the Ti rails for MTB (aggressive XC only) use?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I am 230 geared up, so the Ti rails never even crossed my mind. :lol:

The gel in the Phenom is just in the nose so you can scoot forward if you want without killing the boys IIRC. There doesn't seem to be any gel in the sit bone area so it is not "squishy". The shell flexes nicely, though.

I think the real key to the Phenom, and any Spec saddles, in my opinion is the different widths. Spec's 143 width fits me perfectly. I would never consider the SLR gel flow because it is just too narrow for my sit bones.

Just an example: my buddy has a Spec saddle in the narrower 130 size. We hate each others saddles.

Give it a shot I think you may really like it.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
thanks - that could have been the issue I had with the SLR - too narrow. I need to find one of those butt measures at a Trek store to get a good guage on my sit bones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
now when you guys say "geared up" then your weight. what exactly are you referring to? when i last checked my team kit complete weighed less then a pound. Or does "gear" refer to your storm trooper suits, mask and all.
do weight weenie parts really go hand and hand with all mountain free riding?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have 2 phenom sl the black one is 205g my white one is 204g, i run them for anything longer then 3 hrs, most of the local races that are around 2 to 2 1/2 hrs i run my SLR carbon kit saddle, the spec are a lot better for the long rides, i tryed runnin the spec toupe on my mt bike was 174g but i broke 2 of them and broke one on my road bike..

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Great saddle, I have a 130mm one and it is super comfy. Mine weighed exactly 195g.... without the scuff guards. At first- it feels like you are sitting on a wooden saddle, but thanx to the Body Geometry design and anatomical flexibility......it's more like you are sitting on beautifully sculpted, varnished WOOD. I now prefer saddle flex, over padding any day. The nose allows for mad climbing comfort......and that's what finally sold me!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i got the phenom which is cheaper not the sl
they don have much weight difference between them but save $$(just the rail difference)

i have ridden on 5 hrs off road(on a HT) in a night last week and have no ache after all
this is the best saddle i ever tried and poperly one of the best saddles available on the market

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I did the "sit on cardboard" test to figure out my sitbone width; get a piece of corrugated cardboard, sit on it. Get up, I left two indents at my sitbones .. I was happy since my local Specialized dealer doesn't have any sitbone related measuring apparati.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
i love mine also, seems to be the common thing here.

ryball-Specialized had the sit bone guage(ass-o-meter is what they call it) for many yeas before trek did a copy-cat move.

karlmalone- yes, dealers are not allowed to sell items online.
:lol: Yeah, I know. I should have turned my sarcastic-o-meter on when I posted that.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
The gel adds extra weight, without much additional comfort. That "ugly" nose is going to give you the most climbing comfort, than any other saddle. Trust me- I have tried them all; Selle Italia/Selle San Marco, Fizik, WTB, Bontrager, Tune, etc. The Phenom SL is one of the best out there, for the cost/weight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.