Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a Sette Venom 7" ride right now and I am looking to upgrade. I was deadset on a Transition Blindside but I saw it requires a Shimano Direct Mount front derailleur. I have a SRAM top/bottom pull X7 now and want to swap it to the next frame. Need something that will accept that and has 135 X 10mm rear, 73mm bottom bracket and full length seat tube for riding up hill. 7 to 8" rear travel preferred. I love the idea of the Blindside, but the front derailleur issue is holding me back. Is there another out there or do I just bite the bullet and change out my drivetain?
Thanks to you all!

·
Registered
182 Posts
from wat i can tell on there site it doesnt actually need that crank and that wouldnt really make sense to only be able to fit that certain crank im sure it can fit most cranks with iscg and the proper bb size.... and my race team has a sponsor from transition and the one kid had one with a different crank on it dont remember wat it was tho

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply, but I'm not too concerned about the crank since its standard 73mm bottom bracket. My issue is with the front derailleur being Direct Mount and if there are any other frames that I'm not thinking of. I currently have a SRAM X7 at the moment.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
not being able to transfer your fd sounds like the worst reason to not get a great frame..IMO

you can get a direct mount fd for less than $40
This.

A FD, even an X0, will cost you well under $100.

You're thinking of dropping close to $2K on a frameset, yet you won't pony up the incidental costs? Hell, a full recabling of your derailleur cables will cost as much as a FD.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not just a front derailleur, I'd also have to buy a shifter since I am currently running SRAM. If I'm gonna do that, I may as well change the rear to Shimano as well. Not the most expensive thing to do, but the frame is at the top of my budget. Another $200-$300 is a tough sell to the wife. I found out that it will accept my current drivetrain, so its no worries anymore. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Erm, unless you're running XX, SRAM and Shimano front derailleurs' cable pull ratio are the same. Aka you can use your X7/X9 front shifter with a Shimano front derailleur just fine.

In fact that's what I run: X9 shifters, X9 rear derailleur, XT front derailleur - on my carbon HT.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Its not just a front derailleur, I'd also have to buy a shifter since I am currently running SRAM. If I'm gonna do that, I may as well change the rear to Shimano as well. Not the most expensive thing to do, but the frame is at the top of my budget. Another $200-$300 is a tough sell to the wife. I found out that it will accept my current drivetrain, so its no worries anymore. Thanks for the input everyone!
You can use a sram front shifter with a shimano FRONT derailleur. Im running an x9 on my delirium with a shimano xt e type deraileur. Get the frame you want and don't let that deraileur boss you around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.