Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm living in Bellingham, WA this summer and I've got 4 weekends to hitup BC. I'm planning on spending a weekend in Squamish, a weekend in Vancouver at Mt. Fromme, and 2 weekends at Whistler. I'm planning on riding both XC and liftaccess trails. I would describe myself as an intermediate all-mountain rider. I have a Reign X and an on-one 456 steel hardtail.

I've already gotten some great general info from:
http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canada/where-ride-western-canada-792380.html
Whistler Mountain Bike Trail Wiki
Squamish Mountain Biking Trails | Tourism Squamish

Specifically, I'm looking for some epic trails with wide-open views of mountains and rivers, like some of the trails in this video: Squamish, BC Mountain Biking - YouTube
Something similar to the BC version of the Whole Enchilada in Moab. I would also consider bikepacking a larger trail, given enough water sources for my filter.

I'm also open to recommendations for classic, must-do trails, and fun blue/black trails with a good mix of fast-flowy and technical sections.

Essentially, I'm trying to get a well-rounded BC MTB experience. Here's a list of trails I'm currently planning on riding, I would much appreciate some specific trail/route suggestions for additions/omissions to my list. Also, a big thanks to the users contributing to the tons of posts I've read through so far. Cheers!

Mount Fromme/Vancouver
Crinkum Crankum
Bobsled
Pipeline
Eagle Ridge
Squeaky Elbow
Griffin
Floppy bunny
Bobsled
Natural High
Immonator

Squamish
Wonderland
Full Nelson
Angry Midget
Credit Line
Lake Elfin

Pemberton
Tenquille Lake
Tower of Power

Abbotsford/Chillawack
Elk Thurston
Sumas
Ledgeview

Whistler
A-Line
Cut Yer Bars
Kill me thrill me
Dirt Merchant
Comfortably Numb
Khyber Pass to Babylon

·
ups and downs
15,590 Posts
In Squamish your best bet is to drop in to Corsa or Tantalus Bikes and find out about the latest trail conditions when you're there. Some trails are on lands owned by logging companies, and there is some logging going on between the power line right of way and the Provincial park boundary that has closed Tracks from Hell, Don't Tell Jude, and may affect access to Cliff's Corners and the Mashiter trail, and also higher up it will affect Plum Smugglers and Word of Mouth with closures. Those trails won't be re-opened until the logging is done and they can clear and restore the original trails.

You can also keep an eye on trail closures at Squamish Mountain Bike | The Squamish Offroad Cycling Association : SORCA : Squamish Off-Road Cycling Association

·
ups and downs
15,590 Posts
Squamish
Wonderland
Half Nelson
BTW, add White Rabbit on the north end of Wonderland, it's fun and twisty and adds about 15-20 minutes to Wonderland. If you're looking for that lift park sort DH trail accessed the old fashion pedal shuttle way, check out Full Nelson, the newest Squamish trail that adds more length to Half Nelson. Credit Line and Angry Midget likely should be on your list.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry, I've got no advice I can offer you since I'm in a different area, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up a clear concise request for trail information. It's rare that we get such a well phrased ride info request in this forum, so I'm really hoping that some of the other members from the areas you're interested in hop in here to help you out and get you on some of the awesome singletrack and views that the area is famous for.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Sorry, I've got no advice I can offer you since I'm in a different area, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up a clear concise request for trail information. It's rare that we get such a well phrased ride info request in this forum, so I'm really hoping that some of the other members from the areas you're interested in hop in here to help you out and get you on some of the awesome singletrack and views that the area is famous for.
Yesssssss --- someone actually read the sticky!!

In that Squamish video the trail is actually just a short piece like that around the top of Brohm Ridge. It actually doesn't exist like that in real life

Get the book or app in my sig for both Van and Squamish - it;ll make life easier

So here's your list and I'll modify it

Mount Fromme/Vancouver

Squeaky Elbow to Seventh - Leppard - Crinkum - Griffin; back up to do Floppy bunny; back up to Bobsled - Natural High- Immonator

Pipeline (nice trail but its just one)

Eagle Ridge (over in Coquitlam; tough to navigate by yourself)

Abbotsford

Sumas Mountain (Knob Gobbler to Squidline)

Ledgeview

Squamish

Cheshire Cat - Cheshire Kitten - Wonderland

Univ Parking - Angry Midget - Speedball then back up to Half Nelson - Pseudotsuga then cross RIng Creek Rip and do either Hoods in the Woods or Somewhere Over There and back to Univ parking

Whistler

A-Line (I think you mean WBP in general)
Dirt Merchant

Cut Yer Bars (short trail)

Kill me thrill me (short trail)

Comfortably Numb

If you want views like you posted in the video you'll want to do the following - google for it - almost all the worthwhile TRs and directions will be from myself or Sharon. Our directions usually also involve getting maps Others just will provide pictures

- Tenquille Lake Pemberton
- Tower of Power, Pemberton
- Stimulus Pemberton
- Khyber Pass to Babylon by Bike, Whistler
- Elfin Lakes, Squamish
- Elk Thurston, Chilliwack
- Chilcotin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, you guys are awesome, great stuff. I'll update my post accordingly. Thanks a ton.

I have the North Shore Rides iPhone app, looking forward to using it. However, I didn't see a guidebook for Squamish from the link in your sig? Found lots of info on all the mentioned trails, with the exception of Khyber Pass to Babylon. Anyone have more info on that trail, or suggestions on where I can get more info?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Wow, you guys are awesome, great stuff. I'll update my post accordingly. Thanks a ton.

I have the North Shore Rides iPhone app, looking forward to using it. However, I didn't see a guidebook for Squamish from the link in your sig? Found lots of info on all the mentioned trails, with the exception of Khyber Pass to Babylon. Anyone have more info on that trail, or suggestions on where I can get more info?
Searched this - https://www.google.ca/search?sugexp...chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=lee+lau+khyber+pass+babylon

and in this search i found this - Epic rides? - Page 2 - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums (before I quit NSMB in disgust)

I've asked the Squamish Whistler app guy to post here. The info will be useful and I'll add it to the sticky

·
I just wanna ride my bike
845 Posts
To add to LeeL's post:

Whistler

Cut Yer Bars (short trail) - do this as a warm-up then head over to Lost Lake trails for a fun 2 - 3 hr spin.

Kill me thrill me (short trail) - do as loop: start KMTM then first part of Comfortably Young and down Young Lust (park at KMTM TH) ~3 - 3.5 hrs

Comfortably Numb - do as loop, start in village, ride the new Sea to Sky Green Lake bypass trail to CN trailhead (~4 - 7 hrs, depending on your fitness level & love for climbing)

Squamish
Elfin Lakes - leave this for later in year as takes long time for snow to melt off the doubletrack higher up (I rode it in Sept last year and still had to hike-a-bike across large stretches of snow).

·
Registered
47 Posts
On a similar note, I'm looking to hire a shuttle service for 4 guys for a day in Squamish. Can anyone recommend a good shuttle service?

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
Sorta creeped out by the similarities here, as I'm in Bellingham (all the time), have a 'bigger' bike (SX trail) and an On-One steel hardtail (456 Summer Season) too!

Add my thanks to the list, all of this is relevant to me! (ride Galby all the time, Duthie down in Issaquah fairly often, but never made it up over the border)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Camping recommends?

Great thread. Also in B'ham and trying to get up to Squamish - riding looks amazing:thumbsup:

So, where do you all like to camp? I've got a camper van and my buddies tent camp. Looks like there are lots of campgrounds, but not sure which ones are going to have best access to the trails. Also, it looks like lots of them book up well in advance. Oh, and ideally they'll take dogs.

Thanks for any thoughts,

E

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Bellingham people always welcome. You guys always treat me well down there.

Camping - Recreation Sites and Trails BC

and

Alice Lake Provincial Park - BC Parks

Pay sites but its cheap and close to the lake.

Trails start right from both camping locations. Note pets on-leash at Alice Lk.

Ronny - check with the shops there - email - call them. Tantalus, Corsa or Republic

·
Registered
109 Posts
Semi related question: I signed up for gear jammer. What tires should I run? Bike is a kona 4x4, currently 2.35 nevegals, can I get away with a lighter rear in Squamish to help with climbing?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
awesome Thread

Yesssssss --- someone actually read the sticky!!

In that Squamish video the trail is actually just a short piece like that around the top of Brohm Ridge. It actually doesn't exist like that in real life

Get the book or app in my sig for both Van and Squamish - it;ll make life easier
I've also read the sticky, and its been helpful. But as the original poster asked, does your guide book have info on Squamish? From looking at the website, it doesn't appear to.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I've also read the sticky, and its been helpful. But as the original poster asked, does your guide book have info on Squamish? From looking at the website, it doesn't appear to.
There's a Squamish trail maps app but the owner doesn't seem terribly interested in promoting it by posting here - you're going to have to search as all I know is that its on the Iphone app store

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks.

There's a Squamish trail maps app but the owner doesn't seem terribly interested in promoting it by posting here - you're going to have to search as all I know is that its on the Iphone app store
I will just wait till I get up there to grab and map, and I will check out the recommended rides in this thread.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can anyone comment on how the iphone app compares to the book for the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides? Is everything in the book included in the app?

·
ups and downs
15,590 Posts
The app has all the map info, plus some more detailed trail descriptions from the book, and suggested ride routes from the book. The trail index for each mountain (magnifying glass) will link directly to the trail map and to an (>) for the trail description. It also has a 1x 2x zoom setting for use on an iPad or iPhone.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks!

The app has all the map info, plus some more detailed trail descriptions from the book, and suggested ride routes from the book. The trail index for each mountain (magnifying glass) will link directly to the trail map and to an (>) for the trail description. It also has a 1x 2x zoom setting for use on an iPad or iPhone.
Awesome thanks! Do you know if the app interfaces with the GPS function so that you can plot where you are at any given point?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts