Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy my third bike the first time. Just would like to hear comments if you have ridden both of these bikes. It would be great to rent both for a day I'll have to look into that but just wandering what the differences will be in the ride and everyone's overall experiences with these two models. My main concern with a FS bike is the "bobing" term. I am looking at comparing speed, comfort, control etc. thanks all.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
462 Posts
The main difference is the amount of travel on the bikes.

You should decide what kind of riding you plan to do. The Epic is designed as a XC race bike while the SJ FSR is an XC/All mountain hybrid. Check out the Specialized forums, this topic has been posted before.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I have rode both and perfer the Stumpy, I actualy didn't like the epic very much but that is because I don't like the feel of race bikes. You can get the stumpy with a brain shock if you want then the bobbing is non existant . I like my suspension more active and I love the handeling of the stumpy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have you ridden them yet? They are completely different bikes in terms of purpose. The Epic feels like a very down to business XC race bike. Its all about being fast on the XC course. To me it felt very hardtail like. The main problem I had with the BRAIN system is that sometimes it felt like it would take a second to open up, so you could get a pretty good kickback if you were riding smooth and then had a largish sharp hit. You can tune the BRAIN threshold, but you definitely don't get that full suspension floating down the trail feeling. Also, geometry is very slanted toward NORBA XC geometry (steep head angle, lots of drop from saddle to bars, etc). This is a very fast position for climbing and flats but it seems like long days in teh saddle and steep descents could get pretty hairy.

The Stumpjumper on the other hand, has more relaxed geometry and a more upright position. The geometry doesn't float over stuff but it definitely absorbes a lot of the little stuff and big hits. It feels more comfortable in more technical situation and I liked that even the first hits after a smooth section were absorbed. It definitely has more tendency to bob from out of the saddle sprints. Bobbing while seated was nonexistent to minimal in my opinion. Like all full suspension bikes, a lot of it is about keeping a good pedal stroke. It is true that you can get the Stumpy with the BRAIN shock, but it is a different version that does not lock out as hard or as quickly as the Epic one. To me the stumpy with the BRAIN just felt like a regular shock with a ton of low speed compression valving that made it feel pretty bad in rough sections. I enjoyed the stumpy much better without it.

In the end its all about priorities.... Do you want the razor edge XC bike at the expense of some comfort or would you rather get that hardtail ride at the expense of some control? I would definitely recommend that you give each of these a spin and see how you like them. Hope that helps a little....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I rode both bikes a few months back at a Spec. demo ride weekend. I rode the '07 Epic and Stumpjumper top of the line models for hours. The Epic is stiff but does absorb the harsh bumps. The SJ practically erases the bumps in comparison. For me I liked the SJ better, but I am not a racer (so far) and in my early 40's so comfort is becoming more important. Both bikes performed very well for me. Also the suspension (shocks) are adjustable of course so some tuning is possible. Maybe picture sports car (Epic) vs. Cadillac (SJ) as far as ride goes. But don't forget both perform well.

HTH

Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Epic versus Stump

I own both. The Stumpjumper's comfort and upright position may actually help you go faster because your body is less beatt up on technical courses, particularly for 90 minute+ races.

I bought the Stumpjumper to save my Epic for racing only, but I am starting to think the Stumpjumper is better for racing too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.