Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local bike shop has a 07 P2 for sale, they want 800 and for no additional cost they will convert over to a SS and give me all the gear parts. Is this a good deal. I really want a P1.

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
He wants to make sure its a good deal, der. Yea I'd say it is considering that MSRP is 1100 for a p2. Plus if your gonna get it converted to ss... I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you like aluminum over steel, thats a great deal, because all the components are better on the p2. and its only 100 bucks more in your situation (the p1 is 700, rite?) then u can sell all the parts u get from converting to ss and almost make back that $100.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There isnt any LBS stocking the P1, I would love to see it in person. The only SS DJ bike I can find at my LBS is the Giant STP SS, they want 725 for that. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice. My first thought was to custom build, my budget is say 800 can it be done with any better parts than on the stock P1,P2 or STP???

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
todd_freeride said:
I highly dought its the aluminum frame. what color is the bike at your bike shop?
Yeah sounds like the p.2 chromo.......same frame as the p.1 just different bits.

·
Registered
493 Posts
wait, is it the p.2 crmo, or the p.2 . I know u said just p.2 but since yuo were comparing it to the crmo ... thats funny, when I get my p.1 , i think ill be doing the opposite of u, converting to 8 speed. that is if i dont like ss bec it will be my all over bike ... i'd say go for it sell the parts... or take a trip to another city and find the p . 1 there

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Yeah, its probably the cromo considering the MSRP is 880USD for the P.2 cromo. Either way its still a good deal, the P.2 has pretty nice parts, I say go for it dude.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went a different route LBS had a 2005 Specialized Hardrock SS for 375.00 its a size Medium and I am just going to beef it up when things break.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
I would not have gone with that at all. The Hardrock is a sh!tty dirt jumper, all wrong geometry.

Mabye you can make it work for you, I hope it does or else you would have wasted a good chunk of change

·
Registered
493 Posts
ya, thats what I was thinking vinny, but if hes starting out and doesnt want to blow all his money,

1. its ss
2. cheap
3. use more money to buy better components
4 umm well there really are no other plusses! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh man, that was a horrible choice for a DJ bike. Like Vinny said the geo is crap for that type of riding and even if you get all the best components, the frame will not hold as well as a P. frame, you'll end up buying a whole new bike in a couple of months.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.