Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
spec'y

I love my carbon comps. My riding bud has the 225s and he is jealous (he has worn mine on occassion to compare)

It is his opinion that the Shimano is rather inflexible due to large amounts of plastic. They aren't bad, just not as comfy or nice as the Specialized

·
Registered
524 Posts
I bought the Comp Carbons 2 years ago and they are extremely comfy and really durable. Aside from losing a cleat I havent had any probs with em yet at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read that they are not as strong as the shimano's but they seems strong to me and even of the do only last 2years its fine, it'll be about that time that I'll be on the look out for an upgrade

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have both. Specialized quite a bit lighter. I like the buckle on the Shimano better, the specialized buckle does not release real easily after a ride when it gets dirty. Both are very comfortable stiff shoes. I would give the Specialized the edge because of it being lighter.

·
Registered
790 Posts
oh yeah

I would reiterate that the Shimanos are also a fair bit heavier- forgot about that one.

On the hard-to-release buckle, I agree there too. I have found that it helps a LOT to push on the strap to relieve a little pressure before pushing the button. HTH

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
gambithunt said:
HI all

I'm stumped, which one should I buy?
I've got equal opinions on them and I'm so stuck

I'm gonna use them are my road and MTB shoe, please can you guys help
If you are hard on shoes I would go with the Shimano's. Both are very comfortable and stiff.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Are you guys who are talking about the buckle sure you are referring to the comp carbon? I have comp carbons and they have 3 velcro straps. My brother has a lower model Specialized shoe and they have the buckle you are referring to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get the Specialized BG Comp carbon with the buckle or without (three velcro straps)
I'm going with the Specialized and I'm going to take the ones with the three straps given the feedback on the twitchy buckle.

·
Registered
790 Posts
buckle aint a big deal

As one of the buckle whiners, I would probably still pick it again over the three straps. I suspect (fairly or not) that the buckle strap/ plastic pad etc. will be a little more firm. Although I imagine the 3rd velcro strap might be more "trick" than I am giving it credit for.

Although you need to jiggle with it occassionally, the buckle has always worked and has not failed in a year and a half of hard use.

One more idea- I bet the strap will be better for not catching on stuff. I hit the buckle fairly often on limbs, rocks, etc. and it sure catches hold of stuff more than a low profile strap should.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys,

I bought them and road them this weekend, they are super stiff and very comfortable. I love the way specialized engineer all the products with a scientific approach really thinking about every detail.

I'm also going to be using them as road shoes so I'm gonna get great use out of them, the only problem with buying new shoes is that they only look bling once:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.