Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specialized P2 or P2 cr-mo
The normal P2 is $1149.99 canadian at one of my LBS (i have 2 in town) and the Cr-Mo is around $950. How much of a difference is there actually between the two?. Has anybody even riden both?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If these are the 06 P bikes you're talking about, the frame geometry is almost exactly the same (the rear triangle formed (I don't exactly know how to say this in biker terms) on the P.2 is smaller than the one on the Cr-Mo). The bikes will feel the same geometry-wise, but the Cr-Mo is heavier. Being steel, it would stand to reason the Cr-Mo is stronger. Pretty much the components on both bikes are the same, but the fork on the aluminum is longer (110 mm versus 100 mm) and the crankset on the aluminum is slightly better. The Cr-Mo has Avid BB5 mechanical disk brakes, while the aluminum has Hayes Sole Hydraulic disk. If your shop can get in some other bike, such as the ones XSL_WiLL mentioned, without you having to pay for it first, you should probably try them out first, because I would have to agree that the new P. frames are a little different. The definitely don't ride quite like the old ones, which totally kick ass!

Of course, XSL_WiLL is going to disagree with me, and I will definitely consent to the fact that there are MUCH better frames out there, but the O5 P. Frames are really good rides! My friend has one, and it is SUCH a good ride.

Anyway, more about your question, if you're on a budget, go with the P.2 cr-mo

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
dirtyharry said:
If these are the 06 P bikes you're talking about, the frame geometry is almost exactly the same (the rear triangle formed (I don't exactly know how to say this in biker terms) on the P.2 is smaller than the one on the Cr-Mo). The bikes will feel the same geometry-wise, but the Cr-Mo is heavier. Being steel, it would stand to reason the Cr-Mo is stronger. Pretty much the components on both bikes are the same, but the fork on the aluminum is longer (110 mm versus 100 mm) and the crankset on the aluminum is slightly better. The Cr-Mo has Avid BB5 mechanical disk brakes, while the aluminum has Hayes Sole Hydraulic disk. If your shop can get in some other bike, such as the ones XSL_WiLL mentioned, without you having to pay for it first, you should probably try them out first, because I would have to agree that the new P. frames are a little different. The definitely don't ride quite like the old ones, which totally kick ass!

Of course, XSL_WiLL is going to disagree with me, and I will definitely consent to the fact that there are MUCH better frames out there, but the O5 P. Frames are really good rides! My friend has one, and it is SUCH a good ride.

Anyway, more about your question, if you're on a budget, go with the P.2 cr-mo
I liked the p.3 when it was painted that pretty metallic green and had vertical dropouts. I think that was the best year for that line. Then Specialized started getting too greedy.

You'll have to look around at a few shops, and my need to drive a bit to find all those dealers. Ride as many bikes as you can and figure out what you want. I'm not much of a Trek fan, but the new Trek Jack and the Gary Fisher jump bikes are pretty cool and ride pretty well. They really seem to be sorting things out.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I still haven't seen anything to beat the P.2 Cr-Mo for price compared to what's on the bike. I know I'm gonna get yelled*1 at for that.

1 Well, verbally thrashed through typing.

Well, actually the Hardrock sport is the best deal I've seen, but I'd be afraid to take that for a thrashing on concrete or asphault.

As far as the Gary Fishers go, all of them (except for the PHD) seem to be built more like hardtail XC bikes than dirt jump bikes.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
STP are decient, dont bother with the STP1 though, I think the brown/dark brown is really uguly. but my vote would definatly spend the extra bones for a 06 P.2. or possibly pick up a used one 04-05 P. frames were the best.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
dirtyharry,

the Gary Fishers do NOT ride like xc bikes. the frame on all their jump bikes, except for the Ph.D, are the same really. i know a kid with a GED and it DOES NOT ride like a trail bike at all!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
yeah, the GED does jump well! i've never ridden or seen the new trek's in person. since we are off topic on garyfishers.... i figured i'd go abit more off topic...

any one ridden a Fisher Ph.D before?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Yup. Rides kind of funky. Seems like a long travel SC fork would compliment it well.

I was riding the Jack in the skatepark at a Trek demo. No complaints besides a crappy build by the snobby mech in the trailer, and some overly wide bars.

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
I love my stp and looked at the p.2 crmo for along time. i rode the stp and the p.2 andthe p2 crmo and liked the stp wayyyyy better. i say if you choose one of them get the crmo but i like an stp better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.