Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
gumbies need lovin' too
62 Posts
for me, this is hugely disappointing behavior on the part of specialized....i'd like to think that bicycle companies are better than the average corporate a$$ho's, who will threaten with a lawsuit not because they are in the right, but because they know that a small company like epic designs doesn't have the cash to go to court. if epic designs actually made bicycles, i could understand, but this is a guy who makes bomber frame packs out of his garage.....:rolleyes: :skep: .........

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Oh for crying out loud... this guy fat bob is apparently spamming the 'net with this. It's been thoroughly hashed out here in not one or two, but three threads.

See the first blue bar up near the top the thread? There's a word on there "Search". I suggest you click on it, enter some words like "fat bob", "Epic Designs" or "lawsuit" or something. You might just surprise yourself.

brain - do some googling. You'll find the bike companies... it seems the whole lot of them are a whiny litigation happy bunch.

·
gumbies need lovin' too
62 Posts
first of all, i live in alaska in the city where epic designs is run out of the garage of the owner, who more or less does all the sewing and day to day operations, i don't know the guy personally, but from reading his blog and his contributions to mtbr alaska and akspokes, i'd say that his "vacations" fit the definition of epic....i'm not slamming specialized products, or wishing for their demise, but just because all big bike companies or all big corporations act this way DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT.

if the roles were reversed and epic designs was suing specialized it would be laughed off as a "frivolous" lawsuit. so my question to you is, what's wrong with expecting/asking a big company to behave ethically??? and don't just say "because that's how things are"...

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
mybrainhurts said:
so my question to you is, what's wrong with expecting/asking a big company to behave ethically??? and don't just say "because that's how things are"...
because it would be a naive waste of time and effort

hey specialized, why don't you donate all your profits to the Red Cross??

·
gumbies need lovin' too
62 Posts
:D wow....that's the spirit....corporate america thanks you, and wishes that everyone had that "who cares, whatever" attitude.:thumbsup: no one is asking specialized to give all their money to the red cross, just asking them to do the right thing.... naive waste of time? maybe....but personally, i'm tired of big companies getting to do whatever they want...i you or i did whatever we wanted, we'd be in jail...are you saying that doesn't matter to you?

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
mybrainhurts said:
you or i did whatever we wanted, we'd be in jail...are you saying that doesn't matter to you?
The difference is, what they are doing is perfectly within their legal rights and has legal precedent.
look, no one is saying what they are doing is conscientiously and morally correct. Instead of whining on an internet forum in the 5436432th thread on the topic, why not actually do something with appreciable benefit?? it's easy to be so righteous when all you have to do is type from your armchair.

·
Weird Eh
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lambdamaster said:
. Instead of whining on an internet forum in the 5436432th thread on the topic, why not actually do something with appreciable benefit?? it's easy to be so righteous when all you have to do is type from your armchair.
It was my hope that the Specialized reps read this like many other company reps do. Niner and Ergon come to mind. As an owner of 3 Specialized bikes at one time, there`s no dought that they put out a good product. But the face they`re putting on by going after a small "cottage" company that poses no threat, seems rather strange to me. Image is very important ,especially in the bike industry.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I wanted to bring attention to the fact that a big faceless company was trying to bully a small independent with the threat of litigation over something as ridiculous as the word "Epic".

I think the word is out. If SBC wants to email me back, I welcome it. If their reps read this and report back to HQ... good, maybe they'll fire one lawyer and hire two new designers or other creative folks to help move the company forward rather than relying on litigiation and "rights" to run the company.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you guys would just try to educate yourself on trademark law you will see that Spesh doesn't have much choice in the matter. Try reading one of the other threads on this subject.

Otherwise stop being spineless pussies... sell all your Specialized bikes/stuff to people that will continue to enjoy them for you.

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
Fat Bob said:
I wanted to bring attention to the fact that a big faceless company was trying to bully a small independent with the threat of litigation over something as ridiculous as the word "Epic".

I think the word is out. If SBC wants to email me back, I welcome it. If their reps read this and report back to HQ... good, maybe they'll fire one lawyer and hire two new designers or other creative folks to help move the company forward rather than relying on litigiation and "rights" to run the company.
stop spamming

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
shift96 said:
Yeah, well this "terrible" company took my fork off my bike that I bought used, rebuilt and got it working perfectly for no charge at all to me. Not even shipping. They are such a bad company:confused:
yes, and don't forget that they have donated $450000 to Susan G Komen foundation, and are committed to another $400000 by the end of this year. My god, what a terrible, terrible company!! :bluefrown:

I see threads all the time *****ing about Specialized, but never any threads praising them for what they do right. It seems to me people are just looking for a reason to dislike the company.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
tonyxcom said:
If you guys would just try to educate yourself on trademark law you will see that Spesh doesn't have much choice in the matter. Try reading one of the other threads on this subject..
This has nothing to do with their trademark. When you pass the bar let me know, otherwise take some of your own advice and STFU.

Specialized is a big company, they have a TM on "Epic" the bike, not bag manufacturing, they will posture and threaten long litigation to a small one man show because they know Eric can't "fight back"... so who's the spineless pu$$ie here? Why doesn't Specialized go after IMBA for the tm infringement on IMBA Epic's? Oh, becasue IMBA has more pull and a strong legal team... again pu$$ies one and all.

tonyxcom said:
Otherwise stop being spineless pussies... sell all your Specialized bikes/stuff to people that will continue to enjoy them for you.
Haven't owned a Spec since 1999, but owned several before. Old steel Stumpjumpers, first generation M2, FSR's, S-works. I used to think they were great, but now think of them as the Bank of America of bike companies.... enjoy your bikes and know you support a douche bag company... speaks volumes about you.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.