Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
inner peace to make peace
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
for xc fs bikes/frames, what is it about Turners that you can't get from Specialized? from Specialized owners point of view.

i race xc to have more fun on "aggresive" trail rides. Right now, I'm on a 28# steel hardtail with a 5.7# 5" fork and i like it, but in the next year i'd like to buy a xc fs frame that can be raced.

i'm also considering a Ventana El Saltamontes frame with ti. coil shock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I looked hard at the Turner. I have a buddy on one and he's very pleased. I was down to the 5 Spot or an '04 S-Works Enduro.

I could have been happy with either bike.... The deciding factor for me was Specialized had a lifetime frame warranty, Turner is 2 years.

I broke a frame on an M2 Team racing back in '93. Specialized gave me another with no hassle! :D

·
inner peace to make peace
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lifetime frame warranty

Chutist said:
I looked hard at the Turner. I have a buddy on one and he's very pleased. I was down to the 5 Spot or an '04 S-Works Enduro.

I could have been happy with either bike.... The deciding factor for me was Specialized had a lifetime frame warranty, Turner is 2 years.

I broke a frame on an M2 Team racing back in '93. Specialized gave me another with no hassle! :D

good info: this i did not know "Specialized gave me another with no hassle!"
thanks

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
turners are nicer but for the price, specialized is a MUCH better deal. You're getting nearly all the same technology on a specialized bike for a fraction of the cost. (I'm not including S-works in this comparison, which in my opinion are a bit overpriced) The only downside to specialized is the use of bearings instead of bushings in the suspension. they are pretty easy to replace though, so that's a plus.
Turners potentially last longer, but when you can get a complete nicely equipped specialized for just a bit more than a turner frame, it hardly makes sense to spend so much more on the turner. Also turner only has a 2 year warranty, which definitey put me off. That said, I'd love to have a 5-spot. :eek:

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Turner Forum

You might want to follow what the people in the Turner forum have to say about this post. Not to compare if endurowanker's post is correct or incorrect, rather to hear another opinion.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91911

·
Live 2 Ride
6,084 Posts
If I had to choose between a Specialized and a Turner I would take a Specialized. Why buy a frame for 2 grand when I can get a super nice Specialized for the same amount of money or maybe a few hundred less? Not to mention that Specialized has a damn good warrenty and they stand behind thier product. If it breaks they replace it simple as that. Bottom line is I think I will never support the small manufactuers in the bike business mainly because of price and or CS.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
endurowanker said:
The only downside to specialized is the use of bearings instead of bushings in the suspension.
Specialized used to use bushings, and when they went out it sucked, and they went out pretty quick, hence the move to bearings.

This is the deal: Turners are made in the US. Turner can't afford to manipulate tubing in the ways specialized does because if they did it would cost as much as your car. Specialized sources their stuff in taiwan where they get people from the semiconductor industry, pay them better than intel does, and you get top notch builds.

Every weld on a specialized bike is hand-welded except for the join between the 2 halves of the top tube on a stumpjumper or enduro.

The tubing is specially manipulated for EACH BIKE and in some cases even each size of bike (road bikes mostly) to provide the best ride for each frame.

Specialized has the shocks for their bikes custom made for each bike. They get ahold of all the shock manufs and say, "I need a shock with this rate, this rebound, etc" and they all submit one, then they refine it multiple times until one manuf has the best shock for the application. Turner can't do that because the number of bikes their building isn't high enough to be able to dictate that to a shock manufacturer.

People say Turners are 'hand made in the USA' as if that's a selling point. Well, it was in 1993. These days with the economy and price of stuff in Taiwan, you get a much much better frame from overseas because the tubing can be manipulated so that it's the strongest where it needs to be and compliant where it needs to be compliant, for a price far less than American manufacturers can afford to do it.

Look at the tubing on a 5 spot. Notice it's round. It's off the shelf tubing, not specially manipulated for it's purpose. Look at the bottom bracket. It's CNC machined. Specialized cold forges their stuff.

Here's the difference. CNC machine takes a block of extruded aluminum and machines it. Problem is, when you extrude aluminum, the grain structure of the metal is aligned the same way the grain of wood is. And it is stronger in certain directions. Cold forging they take that block of extruded aluminum and stick it in a mold and smack it with 80,000 tons of force. For a second the aluminum goes liquid and flows into the mold where it instantly hardens. Now the grain structure is disorganized and the metal is equally strong in all direcitons. After that process they machine it. You tell me which one you'd rather trust your cojones to.

Now before anyone brings up that "do you like sending your money overseas blah blah and all that crap". Hey, welders in Taiwan gotta eat too. And I can't afford to be replacing a high end frame every time it breaks.

Just my 10 cents.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
mtnfiend said:
You might want to follow what the people in the Turner forum have to say about this post. Not to compare if endurowanker's post is correct or incorrect, rather to hear another opinion.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91911
damn I guess I pissed some people off.

I really don't mean to disrespect turner. it's like the ferrari of horst bikes. I'd absolutely love to have one, and when I have a bit more cash in my wallet I'll probly buy one even. Right now though, specialized is doin real well for me.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Oh I wouldn't worry about them too much. I think it's a health discussion. I like reading the responses on both boards.

I really looking to have them give me a good reason to buy a Turner. I want to sell my Enduro if someone will buy it. I'm looking at the 575, 5 Spot, or '05 X-5. All of them are out of my price range right now so I have to wait a few more months. I really want the 5 Spot, but may go with the 575 to save at least $500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts