Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....I'm trying to decide between a Specialized S-Works epic Carbon and the Trek 9.9 SSL Carbon.

I think it may just come down to which one looks cooler (I like the Trek frame a little better), since they have such similar components and weight. Help me.

Which would you choose?

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The Epic has the Brain. No contest. And the Epic looks better.

Although the best answer you will get is to go ride both of them and decide for yourself.:thumbsup:

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Have you had a chance to ride either? The brain and AVP ride quite different. I think the specialized has the efficiency edge with the brain fork and shock. And its nice to have the tapered head/steerer tube. Not sure if the Trek has the oversized press in BB like the Epic does, but if it doesnt, thats one more plus for the epic. I got to ride the new s-works epic, it was not only fast, but more fun to ride then most "race bikes." The 9.9 is a great bike, and its suspension is plush, and its fast too. I say you wanna ride them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
you might ant to pull the trigger sooner than later ;-)

If your looking for a 2010 S-works epic you may want to put your $ down -- from what I understand, all the frames are already sold and the rest of the inventory is already allocated to the shops -- the longer you wait the less bargaining power you might have. BTW my 2010 S-works epic took over 2 minutes of my time climbing kings mountain -- now in at 25 min.. All the same components as my Stumpy - just faster. :)

Jt

2whippetz said:
So.....I'm trying to decide between a Specialized S-Works epic Carbon and the Trek 9.9 SSL Carbon.

I think it may just come down to which one looks cooler (I like the Trek frame a little better), since they have such similar components and weight. Help me.

Which would you choose?

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
2whippetz said:
If you're just going to be a jerk, don't bother responding at all. I wanted opinions on those two bikes from people who really know bikes.
ok my bad, I just thought it was funny asking specialized vs trek in a specialized forum and then saying you were picking based on looks. But seriously I have a 5k Trek carbon fiber madone and a 5k specialized epic. Trek is ruler of the Road and invests the majority of there efforts in road bikes and Specialized is likewise ruler of the dirt. So epic fooshoo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.