Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new FR/DH bike shortly, and I have it narrowed down to the specialized demo 8 I and the Trek Session 8. They both appear to have similar components, and I can get them each for about the same price (3100) new. I havent found any information on the warranties, but I would assume neither has a lifetime warranty. I think I remember something about the Trek having a 5 year or something like that but dont remember for sure. Anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should go with? I will be riding mostly downhill and like the fact that both of these bikes are fairly light for "downhill" bikes.
Thanks for the help guys!
Chris

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ride them both and make your decision based on what feels better.

I have a Demo 8 and love it. The new geo is definately much faster in the corners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could ride them both... I unfortunately have to order either one and the nearest one that I could try and ride is not even in the same state as me. Any idea about the warranty on the demo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
even the downhill bikes? I just want to be sure, I know they do on all of the rest of their bikes, just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure on the DH bikes

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong... The Demo has a lifetime on the frt triangle... and 5yrs on the rear.

So basically if that is true... consider it a five year. I say that because most companies only stock warranty product for a few years. After that they either replace it or try to sell you a crash replacement. In this case being that it is Specialized, they will definitely try to up sell you.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I'd take the Trek. The frame is lighter and looks better. Of course in the real world I chose a V10 over both.

·
um hmmm
151 Posts
wyrm said:
Correct me if I'm wrong... The Demo has a lifetime on the frt triangle... and 5yrs on the rear.

correct, lifetime warranty on front triangle and 5 year warranty on the suspension which the rear end is counted as along with the shock.

So consider it to be what it is, lifetime on front triangle and 5year on suspension.

Should you have a failure of your front triangle 7 years down the road, specialized will come good for a new complete frame.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,647 Posts
The BB on the Demo is ~3/4" lower and further back than the Session.

I have a Session and like it a lot, but it's hard for me to describe it. It's neutral and feels comfortable from the start, but I really don't notice it when I'm riding it. Relative to my limited experience on other dh bikes, it's suspension is progressive and not really "plush", but rather controlled, quick, and playful. It seems to do whatever you're thinking. 2 guys I know have new Demos and love 'em, so I doubt you can go wrong here. BB position seems like the biggest difference in geo but I can't compare sus feel. The Trek is really nice looking tho... :cool:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
massacre215 said:
Wish I could ride them both... I unfortunately have to order either one and the nearest one that I could try and ride is not even in the same state as me. Any idea about the warranty on the demo?
and your going to spend all this money on an internet opinion...from people that might have different riding styles and bike preferences then you do

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Unfortunately that's the only option when you live in a remote area or one with no DH scene. Lots of shops don't stock DH bikes. I've actually never test ridden a DH frame that I've bought!

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
If your going to give up 3k of your hard earned cash, you should want to seek out both bikes and test ride. At least in a parking lot, go manual up curbs, down curbs, try to feel out the suspension the best that you can. Then carve some turns, but don't buy a bike based off of someone elses opinion, we all have different riding styles, body position that make us choose specific bikes over others

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Find a local bike shop and order through them, even if you have to travel to visit and pick up the bike. Spending that kind of money on the internet is risky and you may have to deal with damage on delivery.

I have a Trek Session 88DH and really like the bike, I looked hard at the Demo 8 but it was $800 more expensive from the dealers here where I live making the decision easy. I never got to ride either bike as DH bikes are not stocked where I live either, I like both but think the Trek is nicer looking if that means anything to you...I'm sure either will satisfy your DH needs.

I can say that except for installing an integrated stem and different seat the Trek is perfect out of the box, even the spring rates were spot on for me with a large frame. The factory spec is high end and even the wheelset (which I thought were suspect originally) is durable and can take abuse.

Have you considered a Giant Glory, they are typically cheaper and a great ride as well even though slightly heavier (which is not a big deal). You have a lot to choose from besides these two mfg's especially if you have never ridden either. Having a local dealer for support and parts can be a big decision factor in this purchase, don't discount having a local bike shop to order from...you can be sorry especially when it comes time to buy a new derailleur hanger or need a discount on a chain or need tires in a hurry. A large purchase like this usually gets you a permanent discount on future purchases, kinda makes that aspect invaluable.

Support your local bike shop dude, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Specialized warranty:
LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS AND SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT

Specialized warrants to the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front suspension forks, chain stays and seat stays, shock links, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or workmanship. Some branded suspension equipment may have additional warranty coverage offered by the specific manufacturer. Please check in your owner's manual pack for information regarding these warranties or check with your authorized Specialized dealer for details.

Yeah, that is some ********.

I am not saying it is horrible, but instead, all of you should READ the warranty before saying 5 year/7 year, etc. Know what breaks on bikes often and figure out what applies to that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have always found Specialized to have great CS, I started riding the Demo line in 06 and since then I have cracked 2 frames. I took them in to my dealer and, got it replaced with a new frame. The last time this happened was this past year with an 06 Demo 9 with no questions I was given a 09 Demo 8 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
massacre215 said:
Lifetime frame warranty if I'm not mistaken.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts