Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the Monocog flight and was looking at the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er or a Niner One 9 or S.I.R. 9. I am going to just swap everything off of the redline so just looking for a frame. I know Niner is tried and true for the 29er market but specialized has been in the mountian bike game for ever. Any thoughts out there.

·
Administrator
11,988 Posts
singlespeedrider said:
Looking to upgrade the Monocog flight and was looking at the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er or a Niner One 9 or S.I.R. 9. I am going to just swap everything off of the redline so just looking for a frame. I know Niner is tried and true for the 29er market but specialized has been in the mountian bike game for ever. Any thoughts out there.
i would say if you want SS get the SS specific/convertable frames over the stumpjumper that would require you to use a SS adapter.

The niners are super sweet singlespeed, with the SIR having the option of adding gears in the future.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockcrusher said:
i would say if you want SS get the SS specific/convertable frames over the stumpjumper that would require you to use a SS adapter.

The niners are super sweet singlespeed, with the SIR having the option of adding gears in the future.
The Stumpjumper I was looking at had slidder dropouts so no need to a tensioner.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Neither is really an upgrade if you like the handling/fit of the flight.

If you don't like how the flight handles though, both will be different. I'd personally go Niner, but both are solid.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Niner...

I understand the Spec tire clearance is not so great (not that I'm into big tire clearance on SSs). The sliders might be more prone to failure than other designs though I've heard of no problems personally. Spec's geometry looks very good though. The low BB and slightly pushed out HA is nice.

The new Niner EBB BB design looks extremely promising. Much cleaner than the Spec design. Not quite as clean as horizontal drops but still pretty good. Tire clearance is good. The One Nine frame/tube are supposedly designed to accomidate the rigors of SS out-of-the-saddle pedaling forces. I like aluminum for SSing. Much stiffer at the BB.

This Spring I plan on picking up a new SS frame and the One-9 and Spec are at the top of the list. I've pretty much decided on the One-9 at this point.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
M_S said:
Neither is really an upgrade if you like the handling/fit...

If you don't like how the flight handles though, both will be different...
X2...................................

EHCRain said:
Ive got a Spec Rockhopper and rear tire clearance isnt the greatest but ive run a 2.2 bonty tire without any rubbing
X2 again on the clearance. But rides good and running stock Spec Fast Trak LK 29x2.0" (so far haven't tried any wider tires on it). Mud builds up on the front derailleur but has never caused tire rubbing problems even in very wet and muddy conditions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M_S said:
Neither is really an upgrade if you like the handling/fit of the flight.

If you don't like how the flight handles though, both will be different. I'd personally go Niner, but both are solid.
I like the Monocog but at 5'8" I got a small frame and have miles of seatpost sticking up. I was thinking if I am going ot upgrade to a larger frame go lighter and better. I like the Niner better but saw the Spec and can get a deal on it so it made me second guess my Niner chioce. I run a 2.25 Bonty on the rear so I think I might have a littel clearance issues with the Spec. I am probably going to go with the One 9 knowing it is a little rougher ride but I am going to be sticking an RST M-29 from fork on there to soften things up.

Thanks for all the advise now time to start saving.

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
I just got a 09 Stumpy 9er yesterday. The frame looks like it would be easy enough to convert to SS. I currently just have 2.0's on mine, so I don't know about tire clearance. But from what I've heard, they've changed the geometry on this bike quite a bit. A shorter wheel base, and it seems like the front wheel is tucked under the bike more so it steers a little bit quicker. Even though Specialized hasn't been making singlespeed 29ers very long, that doesn't mean they didn't get it right this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.