Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For XC racing/riding I've been looking real hard at either the Specialized Fast Track or the Kenda Nevegal. I've seen the specialized in action and to say the least I was impressed, but Nevegal has earned itself quite a good reputation. So I thought I'd ask the experts, any thoughts on these two tires? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Fast Track will probably has less rolling resistance and will be "faster." The Nevegal isn't a fast roller, but it will hook up in most conditions. Each tire will have its advantages and disadvantages. You have to decide which is best for you and the conditions in your area.
c

·
Registered
36 Posts
2 suggestions

My 2 suggestions:
1-The Specialized Roll-X might be right between the 2 tires you are looking at. Better rolling than the Nev and Grippier than the Fast Trak.

2- I like to keep the same tire for trail riding and racing, for me the Roll-X was the tire to fill that bill until I tried IRC serac 2.1 UST that is better on wet roots and rocks. Unfortunatly (depends on the point of view), the serac kevlar (not UST) seems to have a smaller casing size than the UST make it less a good trail tire (maybe a better racer).

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Nevegal makes a great front tire for me because it has great traction and bites nicely.

Now on the back it feels like a boat anchor with it's high rolling resistance.

So why not run the Nev on the front and the fast trac on the rear. :thumbsup:

I've also heard good things about the serac ust tires, they roll well and are rugged enough for everyday riding.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I find the Specialized tires to have better traction for my style of riding. A lot of people swear by nevegals, but for me I didn't find them terribly grippy and they roll slow. Add in the weight being heavier than the specialized offerings and that is 3 strikes against the nev's for me. Discussing my observations with other riders and we came to the conclusion that I must spend more time on the intermediate tread, something that the kenda's lack and specialized has lots of.

I agree that the roll-x is probably right in the middle and a great compromise in terms of rolling, weight, and traction :thumbsup: The fast track has small knobs which can be a little squirely in hard pack cornering. I see that for 2007 they offer a low-knob version that might be better, but again it will sacrafice traction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.