Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Slow Goat....
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Triad shocks be used in other applications? I have a Jamis Dakar that this shock would fit into. Both frames are Horst link type. There's one on Ebay that's for sale. I have been looking awhile for a shock that would be right for my frame. I've thought about the RP3 as well. Maybe this will be a better fit since it is made more for the masses. Anyone with a Jamis with a shock that works well? I am posting here since no one visits the Jamis forums. :D
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
jamisdakar said:
Can Triad shocks be used in other applications? I have a Jamis Dakar that this shock would fit into. Both frames are Horst link type. There's one on Ebay that's for sale. I have been looking awhile for a shock that would be right for my frame. I've thought about the RP3 as well. Maybe this will be a better fit since it is made more for the masses. Anyone with a Jamis with a shock that works well? I am posting here since no one visits the Jamis forums. :D
I don't see why it wouldn't work for ya.

_MK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Not all Specy shox are...

proprietary in length and stroke. I've got an 05 Stumpy that uses a 6.5x1.5 Triad. Form 04 up to 05, the 100mm travel Stumpies used this size. A very common size. But in many cases timehoc is correct. Specialized is known for using some pretty weird and proprietary stroke lengths. Most of the time the eye to eye will be spot on, but they'll have some weird stoke like 1.25 or 1.75. Even then you have to be careful, the older FSR's used a 6.0x1.25, not very common at all.

All that being said, as long as your eye to eye and stroke match what is currently on the bike you should be good to go. You will have to get the mounting hardware for the fork/bike combination though as Specialized mounting hard ware is not compatable with your Jamis and, of course, Fox hard ware isn't compatable with anybody elses either.

Good Dirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,123 Posts
Squash is right....

Specialized eyelets/reducers/hardware is different. You'll likely have a tough time getting a proper fit. Not impossible but difficult.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
DMFT said:
Specialized eyelets/reducers/hardware is different. You'll likely have a tough time getting a proper fit. Not impossible but difficult.
Don't worry about the reducers being different. There are 2 kinds of eyelets and bushings on rear shocks. 80% of the market, which includes all Fox rear shocks, regardless of what frame they are put on, Avalanche, Romic, to name a few, uses 12.7mm or 1/2in diameter eyelets which are 1/2in long. The other 20% uses 12mm eyelets, in diameter, which are the same 1/2in long. Each manufacturer of the shocks can supply you with reducers which will fit whatever frame you want to put the shock on.

Your Triad shock is made by Fox, there is nothing proprietary in how it interfaces the Specialized frame. You just need reducers. The Specialized reducers are fairly common, which may surprise the other posters, they are, for example, the same as Turner reducers. This is at least true of the Enduros. Your Jamis might, if you're in luck, use the same reducers, however, if your rear shock on your current Jamis is not a Manitou nor 05 or newer Rock Shox, you can just take the reducers from the shock you have in there right now and put them in the Triad when you get it.

Just make sure the eyelet bushings are not worn in the Triad. If they are, which means, the teflon coating has worn off the steel cylinder, your reducers will be ruined if you run it like that as steel is tougher than aluminum and will wear it down causing play. Bushing replacement is very easy. (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=243297) and the new bushings can be ordered directly from Fox, just as can be reducers. It will run you about $20 for the reducers and bushings, shipped to your house, maybe $22.

_MK
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top